+ Reply to Thread

Using X to close windows

So I've been reading about all these wonderful apps for Windows Mobile devices that actually exit programs when you tap the "X" and it got me to wondering... Is this also a problem in Windows (98, 2000, XP)?

If I am in MS Word or Adobe Photoshop and click the "X", does windows actually exit the program or just close the window? Is there a benefit to actually going to File->Exit?

I'm not having any problems it's just a question that I never thought to ask until I read about how WM seems to treat that "X".

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    In Widows, the X actually closes the program. In WM, it just minimizes them. There are good reasons for it working this way really... it is a desirable behavior in both cases.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent
    In Widows, the X actually closes the program. In WM, it just minimizes them. There are good reasons for it working this way really... it is a desirable behavior in both cases.
    So are we chasing something we don't necessarily need to catch? So many people (including me) are looking for good task managers to acutally close an application in Windows Mobile.

What is desirable about leaving them open (i.e. minimized)? Does it just make access to them faster? Is it a better use if Windows Mobile resources? Will Windows close them itself if more memory is needed? If it's better to leave them open, maybe I'll do that instead.
    Motorola Q, WM5 -- Verizon Wireless, U.S.A.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I don't think WM will close them itself if it runs out of memory. I think its better to leave them open unless you have memory concerns, or conflicting apps... but others may disagree.
    Mike - Been Converged?

In my experience using a task manager like wisbar or magic button (to name a couple) greatly reduces the number of soft resets. I don't think the OS manages this very well on its own.
    Last edited by schmenge; 02-12-2006 at 04:25 PM.

Mark
    WM 6.1/PocketBreeze/PocketWeather/iLauncher/PhoneWeaver

This is all personal preference. Some programs won't work correctly if you actually close them, they only want to be minimized, and off the top of my head, Photo Contacts Pro. If you close it, you won't get photos or ringtones, but if you minimize it, it will continue to work.

You can use a program manager to close programs when you don't want to use them, or SPB Pocket Plus allows you to choose to close the program with the X, or to minimize it. By default after loading the program you click the X and it closes. It you click and drag you minimize, and if you click and hold, it gives you options. You can also setup the program to know which programs to leave open. For example with Photo Contacts Pro, I have told SPB Pocket Plus to only minimize the exe for PCP and not to close.

Some programers are also realizing people are wanting to close programs instead of leaving them open, and for the ones that HAVE to remain open, like Photo Contacts Pro, they build in and option (in version 4 of it) to ignore the close request and remain open.

So you can choose to do either, I use SPB Pocket Plus, and close everything when I click the X. I notice my i730 runs better, without the occasional soft reset.

I was surprised to see that my programs where still open after my first day of opening everything and checking it out. I discovered they where still running by going to the memory/running programs page. Now I just leave them running and once in a while I will go in to the memory/running programs page and stop all programs. To me it's not that big of a deal...
    - 1GB Sandisk miniSD
    - Looking for a good BlueTooth Headset

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uscg
    I was surprised to see that my programs where still open after my first day of opening everything and checking it out. I discovered they where still running by going to the memory/running programs page. Now I just leave them running and once in a while I will go in to the memory/running programs page and stop all programs. To me it's not that big of a deal...
    And you are correct. It's not a big deal I agree. I also will go in once in a while and clean house.