+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I NEED HELP WITH MY PDA

I LOST MY 6700 PHONE!!! Help, ANY IDEAS?

I lost my phone last night in downtown San Diego... any ideas for a recovery? What are my options? To tell you the truth, it's not about the phone... but the priceless pictures & video of my 1 year old son that I will never be able to recover. I know how the world works... "FINDERS KEEPERS.." but Im open to all suggestions. I texted and called my phone all night offering a reward but no response... help..
    Last edited by GAMETIGHT INC; 02-26-2006 at 01:32 PM.

PPC FrEak
    well if you were smart enough to turn on the gps of the unit the police if willing to investigate can track the phone down with a simple phone call from their 911 switchboard
    If i die tomorrow and noone was around to hear my last breath...did i really die?

I would call Sprint asap. These phones actually have a real GPS in them, and of course every phone has the ability to be traced by tower triangulation. If you are a business customer, they have fleet management apps to track this phone. Ask if they can track where it is. Of course try calling it until the battery runs out, and even try SMS'ing it advertising a reward.

If it were me, I would not want to loose a 7600, since they are about 2 years from ever producing one , it came with WM9 right? 50GB HD... Sorry I couldn't resist. May want to edit your subject line.

Sorry man... that sucks. I think you're doing everything you can do. I'm assuming you've already re-visited all the places you were last night. Do you know exactly where you lost it? If it was in a business (bar, theater, etc.) have you called them to see if anyone turned it in?

You know, in general I really hate that Sprint (and Verizon) haven't adopted the SIM card idea (CDMA calls it RUIM) because it makes swapping phones a real pain in the ass. But the other side of the coin is that if someone finds your 6700, they can't use it. Make sure you call Sprint and tell them the phone is lost. They will disable the service and the serial number will be blacklisted, meaning that if it gets stolen then the thief cannot use it as a phone--only a PDA.

In the past, Sprint has been unable/unwilling to use GPS to locate lost/stolen handsets, so don't count on their help. Hopefully that will change in the future.

Oh, and djfreake, even if you turn off the Location option in phone settings, 911 can still locate you. That functionality cannot be turned off. But that still doesn't help the OP, since the 911 call has to originate from the handset itself. The 911 switchboard doesn't just have a big map with all cell phones located on it.

How do you turn the GPS on with the 6700
    PPC-6700 (sprint)>>>>>700wx Treo(much better phone)

nxZen 5500

I NEED HELP WITH MY PDA
    OF COURSE I CALLED SPRINT... they will not attempt to track the phone unless it is an emergency... you have to put in the code in order to go through the phone, so if I am text messaging the phone, he will not be able to see it right? I know that you can answer the phone without putting in a code, but how about seeing text msgs... i forgot
    Last edited by GAMETIGHT INC; 02-26-2006 at 01:45 PM.

PPC FrEak
    if the phone is off it wont receive the text you send
    If i die tomorrow and noone was around to hear my last breath...did i really die?

If you're saying you enabled the password function on the 6700, then yes, the potential thief would have to put in that code to see the text messages you're sending.

Are you positive it's been stolen already? The couple of times I have lost phones I was able to track them down by retracing all of my steps.

Long Time Registered Member Trehouse's Avatar
    Did you even try calling the phone? Perhaps someone will answer and say, gee, I was wondering who may have lost this.

Trehouse, read his first post again. He's already called the phone.

PPC FrEak
    Quote Originally Posted by GAMETIGHT INC
    I texted and called my phone all night offering a reward but no response... help..

yup he did

Long Time Registered Member Trehouse's Avatar
    Sorry, got it.

Silly, but did you try calling it? Every time I have lost/miss placed a phone I have just called it, and it if is in willing hands the answer it and tell me where to pick it up.

I bet no one but another 6700/PPC owner whould even know how to check the text messages on the phone. Also calling it would tell you if the phone was even on by how many rings there are.

O AND THE 6700 DOES NOT HAVE A GPS IN IT!!!. It has a service called GPS (not the same as the one you use for maps) that uses the phone towers to figure out its location for future location based services.

I also feel your pain. Personally, I have never lost a phone(knock on wood). but my wife on the other hand, loses, and has a tendency to leave a five hundred dollar phone lying around, until someone picks it up and steals it. She recently had a brand new samsung phone with an mp3 player. The phone wasn't even paid for, and she left it at a restaurant. $400.00dollars down the drain. I really don't understand the importance of the gps tracker on a phone, if it does no good when your phone gets stolen.

either way sorry about your bad luck....... go buy another one

Quote Originally Posted by Lazybones
    O AND THE 6700 DOES NOT HAVE A GPS IN IT!!!. It has a service called GPS (not the same as the one you use for maps) that uses the phone towers to figure out its location for future location based services.
    I was always under the impression from data I read on this device that it had the standard tower triangulation location and a GPS chipset. If it where not so, then how is it when I called 911 recently on a trip to report a drunk driver, that the operator gave me the mile marker I would be passing, to verify location with near pinpoint accuracy? I do know a bit about radio theory and know that the tower triangulation method is not that accurate. Of course I could be completely misinformed, and maybe qualcomm has improved this functionality. At any rate, if I am wrong school me on this

It does have a GPS satellite receiver, but does not have the programming to interpret any of the data to report a position. Sprint uses special servers at their head end to do those calculations.

Google GPSOne if you want more info on it.

http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=125

Well I stand corrected.. I was under the impression that it did not receive any GPS signals.. It is still important to point out that it only works from the network providers end.. I have seen more than a few people asking how they can use the "Built in GPS" on the phone with map software.. Which you can't do.

From what I understand there is software that can use the AGPS to a users advantage. Garmin mobile and Telenav Mobile both support some of there sprint phones (mostly the Sanyo's). I beleive their AGPS, and if thats the cause, I'm sure we'll see one on our handheld soon enough. They do charge a monthly fee, but most members at the sprintusers.com forum have hacked the software.

My wife lost a phone 2 months ago. It was locked as well. We retraced all of our steps, called it, sent it sms, everything - but didn't find it - UNTIL we got a phone call from a sprint store. Some women had dropped it off and hopped they could find the owner!

All hope isn't lost - good luck!
    Junkie

get a new one($6 insurance ) and take new pics of your kid : )

STi
    You can always call sprint and ask them to block the ESN so whoever found the phone would not be able to use it.