+ Reply to Thread
    TOV
    The Entertainment Industry Chaplain TOV's Avatar

Off Topic: Eurotech's Wrist Worn PC (WWPC)

I know this isn't on topic, but I'm sure it has remifications for the PPC and Smartphone industry, so I'd like to share the story. Company site: http://www.eurotech.com/EN/innovation.aspx?pg=wearable

Wrist PC — when the calculator watch isn't enough

**** Tracy's watch radio had enough gee-whiz factor to set many a schoolboy's head spinning in 1946, but today's technologically jaded generation will need a far more spectacular wrist gadget to generate anything beyond than a sleepy yawn. Eurotech's Wrist Worn PC (WWPC) may have the desired effect. This highly configurable wrist computer from Finland will run either Windows or Linux and can talk to other devices and networks wirelessly using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. There's also a USB port for a traditional wired connection. You operate the superwatch via the touchscreen, the touchpad on top, or the microphone (for the full Tracy effect). Rather than equipping the WWPC with a power-hungry hard disk, Eurotech went with an SD card slot to supplement the 96 MB of built-in memory. The power savings allow the WWPC will run at full power for six whole hours thanks to its dual lithium -polymer batteries — even longer in one of the power-saving modes, the company claims. The WWPC will hit stores this June for around $2,000 euros (just under $2,500).

From the Eurotech Website (which includes specifications):
    Wearable WWPC: a Wrist-Worn Personal Computer for indoor and outdoor tasks

Eurotech's wearable WWPC means user-centric ubiquitous computing: contents can be shared and services accessed anywhere thanks to the integrated GPS receiver and wireless extended infrastructure.

Target applications greatly benefit from the powerful low-power CPU core architecture and wireless communication and localization systems.

The high wearability of the design allows flexible positioning and easy fastening to the arm (even over working clothes), assuring an ideal weight distribution and the best comfort at work.

Thanks to a low-power configurable system and to a dual Li-polymer battery pack, correct operation is guaranteed for long periods of time and for power-consuming tasks.

WWPC architecture

The WWPC supports different configurable audio/video user interfaces and features a bright 65K colour TFT display, a touchscreen and a direct-access keypad. It can be connected to a HID input device through USB or Bluetooth interfaces.

The WWPC can be configured and managed by any host system through a wired or wireless interface connection.
    TOV - The Entertainment Industry Chaplain

I'm all for cooler gadgets, and I'm usually not one to balk at wearing the latest gadget. I'd love to have a wristPC, but this is taking it a little bit far. That thing is huge. You go to scratch your nose and knock yourself out!

This isn't about becoming a bigger geek, this is about becoming a BORG!!!

Resistance is futile.

Robb
    "You're such a geek!" --- "Why, Thank you!"
    Zoomer PDA>HP200LX>Palm Pilot>Visor>VisorPrism>Treo180>h1910>h2215>X50v>PPC-6700

Jeremiah 29:11

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    I saw this mentioned elsewhere, but I think it truly applies. You would do better to velcro strap a regular PDA to your wrist. The functionality is better, it's better looking and cheaper!

Mark

btw - There is no such thing as being "off-topic" in The Lounge!
    Last edited by MEG; 03-23-2006 at 02:36 PM.

Very unique pda mount glove...this is a must read for any hardcore gadget fans!

Check out this thread. The OP has changed up his website, but if you play around, you'll see his wrist mount for the XV6600.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Resistance is futile (if ohms < 1)
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9