+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Just wondering what the difference between the slingplayer and orb are for people that have both. From what I gather the sling seems like it would be easier to set up and need lower bandwidth whereas the orb would allow full access to your computer and it's free.

Ajay

I think with orb, you need to have your computer turned on at all times, but with orb, you just need your TV signal plugged into the slingbox, and you can also plug in your TIVO, dvd player, other media sources.

Question: If I have digital cable, and I run it to the slingbox, If I then run the signal out of the slingbox into my TV, will I have to watch the same channels that are playing on slingbox as is playing on my TV?

Is there any way to split the signal so that I can have separate control of the slingbox and the TV?

Quote Originally Posted by angina
    I think with orb, you need to have your computer turned on at all times, but with orb, you just need your TV signal plugged into the slingbox, and you can also plug in your TIVO, dvd player, other media sources....
    Think of it this way...in the days before consumer routers became so available as today, I had to run a dedicated, always-on PC which had two NIC cards, one coming from teh cable/dsl modem, the other hooked to a switch to which all my other computers hooked up.

In this case with the Slingbox (SB), SB is your dedicated slinging computer, if you will - versus having a dedicated, always on computer running the Orb server slinging video to you.

Of course there are other differences btwn SB and Orb, but the basic concept of SB vs. Orb as I explained makes sense to my girl.

Slingbox also doesn't allow you to stream audio right?

DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyGOP
    Slingbox also doesn't allow you to stream audio right?

Sure it does. There are actully three settings in the Slinplayer Mobile Client, all of which stream audio:
    1. You can stream tv in "normal" tv mode with audio
    2. you can stream tv in "slideshow" mode with audio
    3. you can just stream the audio with no video, kinda like listening to a tv station on the radio
    The only constant is change.

What I mean is that if I hook up SlingBox to my media center pc, I'm pretty sure I can access my videos and live tv, but will I be able to access my music files?

To answer the question of why don't I just use orb, I do, but it just isn't stable enough for me because they are dependent on changes windows makes. I figure it's worth paying for slingbox so I don't have to troubleshoot so frequently.

DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyGOP
    What I mean is that if I hook up SlingBox to my media center pc, I'm pretty sure I can access my videos and live tv, but will I be able to access my music files?

To answer the question of why don't I just use orb, I do, but it just isn't stable enough for me because they are dependent on changes windows makes. I figure it's worth paying for slingbox so I don't have to troubleshoot so frequently.
    Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about TV audio (kind of a dumb mistake, now that I think about it, why would anyone make a device that could broadcast TV video withouth the audio, duh!!)

Nope, sorry to say that you can't sling audio files from you pc.

Although, I suppose if a "media center pc" had an audio out RCA or headphone jack, and an infrared remote control, that brought up and controlled an on-screen guide like a DVD player, or TIVO does, theoretically you should be able to run it throught the sling box. As a matter of fact, I found this post in the slingmedia.com forum: http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/thread/11435/ Additionally, searching on the term "media center pc" in the slingmedia forums also brought up several other threads.

Another thought, you could buy one of these (although it costs as much as the slingbox) and run media center through your sling box: http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...1841&pfp=srch1
    Last edited by JimCapraro; 04-21-2006 at 05:33 AM.
    The only constant is change.

Thanks Jim. Actually I bought a Slingbox last night and hooked it directly to the media center. I didn't know that slingbox uses the resident interface, so I can do anything I can do with my media center, with slingbox, including playing all my music. I'm very impressed! It's much faster than Orb and being able to use the Media Center interface is great. To me it was worth the 200 bucks, even though Orb is free.

I was going to post that I thought mrailing had his audio system hooked up to the slingbox as well...

Of course, I just Sling XM radio off my DirecTV...
    Jeremiah 29:11

mwfielder, did you notice that the MLB channel and the Opie and Anthony channel just got dropped from the XM DirecTV lineup? Those were the two I liked most!

No, I mostly hit the music---for MLB I watch the extra innings package I bought....
    Jeremiah 29:11

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by angina
    I think with orb, you need to have your computer turned on at all times, but with orb, you just need your TV signal plugged into the slingbox, and you can also plug in your TIVO, dvd player, other media sources.

Question: If I have digital cable, and I run it to the slingbox, If I then run the signal out of the slingbox into my TV, will I have to watch the same channels that are playing on slingbox as is playing on my TV?

Is there any way to split the signal so that I can have separate control of the slingbox and the TV?
    Actually, if you have digital cable you can kind of do this. In general, you need to view the same thing that the TV viewer is viewing, BUT, the Slingbox also has an internal TV tuner. You can hook the analog cable TV coax cable to the Slingbox and it can tune that just like another TV in the house that doesn't have a set top box. Then if no one is watching the other TV, you could also still access the full digital cable.
    Mike - Been Converged?

How does slingbox compare to ORB?
    Tom

wm5 i730 -> moto q
    Quote Originally Posted by d2tw4all
    How does slingbox compare to ORB?
    Tom
    ORB uses your computer's files, SLinbox is a direct connection to your TV with remote control commands. Basically Sling allows you to watch your TV, any channel you want, live. And DVR programs, set up your DVR to record shows, anything your cable box does can be done via the Slingbox. ORB can be used also on the same device, if u have a need for both just use both.

I use orb all the time and have a TV Tuner hooked up so I get live TV, etc. etc. I was just hoping someone has used both and can give me a comparison of how they compared as far as quality etc...
    Tom

Ive used both and stopped using orb, its was a no brainer for me. I like the option of using my HD dvr, the quality was much better, and channel changing is much eaiser. I still use orb for my music and movies I have downloaded. But honestly for TV sling is the way to go.

I echo the above post (mojomahem).

I was using Orb with an external USB TV Tuner (notebook PC), but purchased a Slingbox last week and have no regrets.

I frequently had problems with my Orb setup. Either the tuner would stop working and need to be reset, or Orb itself would act up. (changing channels by itself, error messages, etc.)

Plus the Orb web-based interface was clunky. The Slingbox mobile client starts faster and its easier to change channels. The guide data (shows whats on each channel right now) on Orb was nice though, there is no guide data in the Sling mobile application itself.

I also have a TiVo that is in a different room than my PC so I was not able to use Orb directly with TiVo. I had used the DVR Everywhere Orb plug-in, but it's nothing like being directly connected to a TiVo like I am now with Sling. I have direct access to all TiVo menus, controls and content. So now I use the TiVo program guide and wishlists to find out what's on.

I just wish I had purchased a Slingbox *before* spending $100 on my USB TV Tuner.

I can still use Orb for audio file streaming and for the file explorer add-on, but TV viewing is much quicker and hassle free with the Slingbox.

And although I don't have any hard evidence to back this up, I believe the viewing quality is better with the Sling mobile client than Orb/TCPMP, and it seems to chew the battery a little slower...but that may just be wishful projecting on my part.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit
    I echo the above post (mojomahem).
    Plus the Orb web-based interface was clunky. The Slingbox mobile client starts faster and its easier to change channels. The guide data (shows whats on each channel right now) on Orb was nice though, there is no guide data in the Sling mobile application itself.
    I get Guide data in Sling Mobile. I am using a DISH DVR, and it shows me exactly the same Guide data that I get at home. Even being so small, it is still possible to see it.
    Mike - Been Converged?

not sure if/where I posted this. I tried ORB a few months ago, figuring I can stream from my PC which I would have to keep on 24 hrs/day. I found the mobile access was only ok, when it worked. The overall controls seem delayed and the setup was releatively unstable, w/ several needed reboots of my PPC and Orb server (on PC). I decided to get vie the Sling a try b/c of a couple of thoughts:
    1) Org (on mobile device) controls were not as easy to use as Sling.
    2) Sling allows access from any PC's within the house (saving me to buy tuner cards for each PC)
    3) allows easy hookups to any number of devices (DVD players, VCRs, TiVo, etc...) -> I loved it when I was travelling last month and when at the hotel room, watched Amazing Race from my TiVo at home...all the while my wife was also watching along w/ me from our living room at home - this was waaaayyyy too cooool!
    4) energy use/noise - Orb requires a higher-end computer to be on at all times. This meant my powerhouse Alien which is noisy (5 fans) and takes about 80 watts to run. The sling takes less than 25 watts (I forget the exact figure) and has NO fan to make any noise.
    5) Orb too dependent its ability to work with the PC's operating system. Any incompatibilities and Orb would be shot to hell (hey, Microsoft does not test their upgrades with all companies, Orb included, before shipping to consumers machines)
    6) I think of this way, if you want a home network, u can setup ur PC as a router by leaving it pwered on at all times and have two network cards onboard...or u can just buy a decidated router. I think of having the Orb as the former case and having Sling as the latter case. Basically, buy a dedicated machine for each main task (like watching TV)

Bottom line, at approx $200/each, the the cost vs. benefits of Sling is a no brainer over Orb.