+ Reply to Thread
    Before I go out and buy it... can someone answer this:

1) I know I can probably do a video out from my DirecTV to the sling..using either component or HDMI correct?
    2) How do I link my sling to my wireless home network? My router will not be able to be connected to the sling by wire (in different rooms)..so am thinking I need a wireless connection...what is the easiest and cheapest way to connect? I have a USB to wireless connector , could that work?

3) Or would I need to buy one of these as well:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

Last, if Verizon decides to block Sling, are we screwed? Of course we can still use wifi hot spots, but without viewing over EVDO, we'd be limiting our use of the sling wouldnt we?

G

Quote Originally Posted by Gmoney!
    Before I go out and buy it... can someone answer this:

1) I know I can probably do a video out from my DirecTV to the sling..using either component or HDMI correct?
    2) How do I link my sling to my wireless home network? My router will not be able to be connected to the sling by wire (in different rooms)..so am thinking I need a wireless connection...what is the easiest and cheapest way to connect? I have a USB to wireless connector , could that work?

3) Or would I need to buy one of these as well:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

Last, if Verizon decides to block Sling, are we screwed? Of course we can still use wifi hot spots, but without viewing over EVDO, we'd be limiting our use of the sling wouldnt we?

G
    You do use the video out, but you must change the output of your receiver to interlaced. I have a Toshiba TiVo with progressive output. Although I used the s-video output, it wouldn't work because the analog output isn't enabled until I switch from progressive to analog.

If Verizon attempts to block this, the port is configurable so you could get around it if they simply block the port, but according to the TOS, video streaming isn't acceptable so you might get hit with additional charges. No idea how that works since I don't have Verizon.
    iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 on Sprint ..:.. crappy work phone

1. You cannot use component nor HDMI with a slingbox... it is composite (RCA) or S-Video, or coax.

2. What you need is a Ethernet/Wi-Fi Bridge. You can buy these from any of the major home network gear manufacturers (Linksys, Netgear, etc.). Alternatively, you can use some the Linksys routers and WAPs as a bridge. A USB-wireless adapter will not work.

3. You could use the SlingLink instead of a wireless bridge. It uses your home's power lines instead of the air to make the connection between the internet and the Slingbox. It's your choice (I have no experience with the SlingLink but it is probably easier to set up than a wireless bridge).

Quote Originally Posted by luv2chill
    1. You cannot use component nor HDMI with a slingbox... it is composite (RCA) or S-Video, or coax.
    Thanks for clarifying that. I meant to include that in my response and typed right past it
    iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 on Sprint ..:.. crappy work phone

ahhh...i got it now...think I'd go with a bridge...so add another 50-70... hmm, still not too bad..have TV while driving hahaha.. I am just kidding!!!

time to go buy sling...and if verizon screws us over...well...it will be the end of them..

Hi,

If you're watching a digital box - then yes - you'd be watching the same channel - BUT -
    Some realistic options -
    1) slingbox has a coaxial input that could be used for analog cable (so when digital box is used by someone else, just watch coaxial)
    2) grab a second digital box - most cable companies rent this for a fairly low per monthly fee...

or my favorite
    3) Use a tivo. I have my slingbox hooked up to tivo or coaxial.. If someone's watching tivo, I watch coaxial; and vice versa... it's not a big deal even in my tv-happy household.
    -mark

Quote Originally Posted by angina
    Question: If I have digital cable, and I run it to the slingbox, If I then run the signal out of the slingbox into my TV, will I have to watch the same channels that are playing on slingbox as is playing on my TV?

Is there any way to split the signal so that I can have separate control of the slingbox and the TV?

guys...so here is another question....i have directv, not cable.. so my signal is pure digital..I understand I can hook up my sling to one of the TVs but if someone at home is using the same box, I'd have to watch what they watch right? I do have HD tivo so no worries there.

Next question is regarding interlaced and progressive..so now i know i need either coax or composite video connecting my directv box to sling... obviously my tv has settings for 480p, 780p and I think 1080i.... so one of the earlier posters mentioned i need an interlaced signal, so 1080i would work fine? HD content looks actually better on 1080i than any of the progressive settings I have.

Anyways, if you guys can answer this for me I would appreciate it.. I read sling has the remote for the HD-DVR so I could switch between prog and interlaced right? In case it is on prog and i need to switch to interlace.

thanks

I should have been more specific. Slingbox won't do any form of HD, so no 1080i (there's no component or HDMI inputs on it). On my TiVo, if I don't have it set to 480i, I can't see the video in Slingplayer and have no way to toggle it.

Quote Originally Posted by URPREY
    I should have been more specific. Slingbox won't do any form of HD, so no 1080i (there's no component or HDMI inputs on it). On my TiVo, if I don't have it set to 480i, I can't see the video in Slingplayer and have no way to toggle it.
    Actually, you can! If you enable both outputs in your TiVo, the "UP ARROW" key should toggle real-time. Go to our support site and search for either TiVo or HDTV...

Best,
    Jeremy
    2 Slingboxes + Comcast DVR + 1 PPC6700 + 1 700W == Lots of my TV, anytime, anywhere.

I tried connecting my linksys wireless access point to my slingbox, and I am getting a flashing light for the network connection...

Any ideas? Or do I need to get a wireless bridge and the access point wont work?

thanks