+ Reply to Thread
    Administrator

need a way to translate Japanese text from a PDF file...

OK...

i have a PDF thats in Japanese and id like to copy the text and paste it into bablefish to translate it. when i do, it shows up as "????" in bablefish. bablefish does translate japanese because i pasted some japanese text
    into the bablefish window.

i think i installed the japan languag pack from windows but that didnt help. i have the full version of adobe acrobat 7 so i can copy the text from it.

any ideas as to how i can find a site to translate OR if anyone has any other ideas that can help me translate thie japanese text (i dont kow anyone who speaks the langauge) please pass the info here...

Nihongo!

Hi! You said that you installed the JP language pack in windows. Babelfish is a website app right? Did you turn the encoding in your browser to auto detect the japanese font? I used to get all kinds of errors before XP came out. I just tried to do what you are doing by copying and pasting a japanese font from a PDF into babelfish and it worked ok. I wonder if pasting too much content screws it up?

Administrator
    hey thanks for the reply.

i only pasted a couple words tro see what it would do and all i got was a bunch of squares.
    i do believe i have installed the language pack. im using firefox but i tried it on IE and got the same issue.
    i did not turn on any encoding in the browser. were would i find that?

thx..

here goes...

Ok, I also use firefox and character encoding under the view menu should have japanese auto detect settings. Also, you need to set your non-unicode language as japanese in the regional an language setings. Are you sure you have all the selectable components selected? There are several under the advanced language settings. (MAC-japanese, katakana-extended,etc) Check your language settings and make sure they are all selected. BTW, square mean you are getting "mojibake" hmmmm I just thought of soemthing. I'll try it from my desktop. BRB

Ok, Let me know what ya see. 設定がチャンとできたらこれが地角にわなれない。 I you got your settings right then you should see japanese characters there. I lived in Japan for 5 years and my wife is from there. I'm actually half japanese born and raised here in hawaii. My grandma always spoke japanese with my aunties so I guess learning the language was sorta second hand for me.

Administrator
    thx for your help.
    i see japaneese text there. so i guess that means im set on my end?

i used bablefish and was copying the text from a manual for a MD car deck that i purchased from sony japan. its all in japaneese. i only saw the squares when i would copy japaneese text from a file i have into the web interface on the bablefish site. if i use bablefish to translate a webpage, it does it pretty well.

ill locate the language tab and see whats in there.. thanks for yoru help...