What a crock...

I had the headset for not more than say... 6 months but only started using it normally for the last few weeks since I got my i730..

I kept getting complaints that I was dropping out of that ppl couldn't hear me at all so I did some testing this afternoon with my home phone on speaker while I did some dishes and discovered that it wasn't a communication problem or a software problem but that the mic boom on it apparently worked if you put pressure in a certain direction.

So being the hardware guy I am, I busted out my micro-electronics approved knife(kitchen utility knife, lol) and began gently separating the components(the chassis is user serviceable if one needs to change out the Li-Ion Polymer battery for whatever reason.) Getting it all apart was easy and as soon as I pulled the rubber piece back I noticed that the mic boom cable had a pinch in it and was now completely separated from the board(no, I didn't use ANY force in disassembling).

"Not a big deal," I thought as I went to go find my 15 watt iron with a super sharp tip. These solder points are small, really small. Stupid small.

But alas, I couldn't find it(ex wife prolly still has it..). So next best thing is my 250 watt dual element gun(with a light! lol). I've done surface soldering with this gun before and it has a funny shaped tip which when oriented correctly can do the job without desoldering or worse, cross-soldering half of a micro board. I laughed at myself and the idea that I was actually going to go through with this.

The little board was marked clearly which was positive(green) and ground(black) for the condenser mic so there was no guess work.

I was having a hell of a time not burning myself, not getting the iron too hot and not soldering the points together on the board while I did this, but I finally managed to get the mic soldered back on.. Happy with my handy-work and thankful I still had fingerprints on my index and thumb, I reassembled the unit. Powered it on and it was down hill from there.

My initial thoughts where that I connected the mic backwards(condenser mics buzz really loud when they're backwards) but then I realized that the unit as a whole was acting... well bad... The light was blinking erratically every 10 seconds or so. Like morse code or something saying, "Kill me now, put me out of my misery." While the light blinked there was a loud buzzing/beep that protruded from the earpeice so loud that you didn't have to be wearing it to hear it. And I couldn't turn it off, or set it to be discoverable. Sounds like what happened was that I static zapped the little sucker in my attempts to hold it stead(and not burn myself).

So... Jabra BT250v: 1 Me: 0 Off to go buy another headset.

I write this to inform you that perhaps considering a smaller form factor with no flexible parts(with wires in them) would be a better choice than this headset. I was never rough with this unit. I think the most tension I ever put on that boom was taking it off by grabbing it.

It takes me back to when I had my Samsung N400 with sprint. It's a flip phone and the speaker cable is routed through the hinge. Well the hinge breaks on that phone and cuts the speaker cable. BAD!

Moving parts = bad..

I'm sure they've come along way, I still see LG's and other manufactures who now route the LCD's cable and backlight power through the hinge. I just don't trust it. I'm even a little suspect of whatever connection there is on my i730 for the slide out keyboard. If it wears out and breaks. I'm going to lose my mind.

That is all. Carry on.