+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

free unlimited calling on sprint!

This isn't ppc-6700 specific but I have one and thought I'd share:
    -sprint offers sprint to home service ($5, free if you sign up with their LD plan)
    -some people have figured out you can set up an *-box to get free calling http://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=124
    -I figured out an easier way:
    -set the simultaneous ring feature to your cell phone number

-everytime someone rings your VOIP line, both your landline and your cell ring at the same time, pick up on your cell and it's free incoming since it's forwarded from your landline automatically
    -call your VOIP number from your cell and it automatically enters your cell mailbox (due to the simultaneous ring feature, it rings your cell but your cell is off hook so it forwards to your cell mailbox), hit *8 and make unlimited free outgoing phone calls!
    -give out your VOIP number instead of your cell number!

Super easy and now I have an extra landline at home and unlimited incoming and outgoing minutes!

Have you gotten a bill to verify this works?? Any quality issues?

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarshmellow
    -sprint offers sprint to home service ($5, free if you sign up with their LD plan)
    -some people have figured out you can set up an *-box to get free calling http://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=124

-everytime someone rings your VOIP line, both your landline and your cell ring at the same time, pick up on your cell and it's free incoming since it's forwarded from your landline automatically
    -call your VOIP number from your cell and it automatically enters your cell mailbox (due to the simultaneous ring feature, it rings your cell but your cell is off hook so it forwards to your cell mailbox), hit *8 and make unlimited free outgoing phone calls!

Super easy and now I have an extra landline at home and unlimited incoming and outgoing minutes!
    I have a similar set up. I've been using an asterisk server and it works well.

I set mine up not so much to use it for unlimited calling, but incase I run low on minutes or I need to make an international call. Its kind of a hassel to do everytime you want to make a call, but well worth the effort if the minutes wont be apart of your monthly free usage.

I've also set it up so others can use it. I have a few family members that have cricket phones that have unlimited local calling, but they cant call nationally. With access to my asterist server they can now make those calls. There are a lot of uses.

It may not be useful for some, but if you already have VOIP I'd suggest at least setting it up so you can use it when you mins run low or similar situations - its free, why not?

I checked in online and all the minutes go to my mobile to mobile minutes (even though it's landline). No quality issues that I can tell. The only annoyance is that I can't make calls directly from my phone but it's the same for my long distance calls that I use onesuite.com for (don't dial a pin since it recognizes callerid).

You can actually call someone else's sprint mailbox for free outgoing using 11-415-555-1212 where that's their actual number but it's a hassle since you need to enter your number and pin code then *8 but if you're that cheap go ahead.

I'm kind of confused actually with the *-box. Do you need 2 lines (i.e. 2 voip lines) or can you do it with just 1 voip line? You also need a dedicated computer to run it correct? Is there no software out there that can emulate a *-box in windows?

I'm kind of confused actually with the *-box. Do you need 2 lines (i.e. 2 voip lines) or can you do it with just 1 voip line? You also need a dedicated computer to run it correct? Is there no software out there that can emulate a *-box in windows?
    There is a windows emulator - but its not recommended.

Actually now that I've looked into it futher, I don't know if the asterisk box is worth it. If you really want to be a power user you can, but the options offered with other solutions, like you've posted above, work just as well. If someone asked me how to set it up at home, I don't think I'd point them towards an asterisk box, but something to like you've done or one of pre configured hardware set ups out there.

I just noticed Viatalk is offering the first two months for free if you sign up for 12+ months. It makes it that much cheaper.

Junkie

I think I am in love with you.

I want to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I have 2 Sprint lines. My bill is as follows.

$100 = 2000 minutes
    $000 = Extra phone line
    $006 = Insurance for my PPC-6700
    $015 = Text for my PPC-6700
    $015 = Text for my 2nd line
    $015 = Internet for my PPC-6700

$151 = Total bill plus tax and crap.

I would have to pay $300 to cancel, but I could get Sero500 with free internet and add text and insurance. My bill would be $19.95+$30.00+$15.00+$6.00+$5.00=$75.95. If I sold my cheapo Nokia phone and whatever phone I ordered with my Sero wouldn't I almost cover the $300 to cancel? I could just port my cell number over too. Couple questions, if my internet goes out at my apartment am I without phone service? How is the call quality? I have a 9mb connection I am sure this would cover it right? Would the standard 4mb connection work too? Anything else I should know?

By my calculations it would be about $1750 for 2 years of service. Whereas if I continue with my current Sprint plan it would be almost $3300.

Can you port your Sprint number over to Viatalk? Also my billing address for my Sprint phone is different than the one I would be using this service at, would that be ok?

Don't know about you but I pay:
    SERO 500 min
    free internet
    free 6pm nts/weekend
    free 500txt messages
    $30 - 25% business discount - $5 loyalty discount
    $6 insurance

Total bill around $25 after tax/mth.

With my ppc-6700 phone I can use sjphone with viatalk over EVDO and make calls too but it's kind of a pain and quality kind of suffers.

Easier with the unlimited calling through voicemail.

Also it's easier if you just sign up with http://www.voicestick.com/ and use their i2bridge if you're going to actually pay viatalk $19.95. I paid $199+$10 shipping for 2 years so that's only $8.70/mth for unlimited calling/LD.

Voicestick's global call forward is pretty cool. Say you're in Europe and have a local prepaid GSM SIM card in your phone (not sprint). You can forward your US number to your prepaid number instead of paying outrageous roaming rates.

Always Believe In 1 GroundNPound's Avatar
    Don't know about you but I pay:
    SERO 500 min
    free internet
    free 6pm nts/weekend
    free 500txt messages
    $30 - 25% business discount - $5 loyalty discount
    $6 insurance

Total bill around $25 after tax/mth.

With my ppc-6700 phone I can use sjphone with viatalk over EVDO and make calls too but it's kind of a pain and quality kind of suffers.

Easier with the unlimited calling through voicemail.
    How do you make unlimited calling through your voicemail? I'm kind of confused here with all these posts. I am trying to understand, but am not fully familiar with the VOIP services. I know what it is, but not the various plans and to do what it is everyone is talking about here.

So again- how do you make calls thru your voicemail?

Thanks
    There is no ideal routine. In fact, the key to any routine lies in your ability to abandon it for another.

-Always Believe In One Forum-

Quote Originally Posted by bsgjunkie
    There is a windows emulator - but its not recommended.

Actually now that I've looked into it futher, I don't know if the asterisk box is worth it. If you really want to be a power user you can, but the options offered with other solutions, like you've posted above, work just as well. If someone asked me how to set it up at home, I don't think I'd point them towards an asterisk box, but something to like you've done or one of pre configured hardware set ups out there.

I just noticed Viatalk is offering the first two months for free if you sign up for 12+ months. It makes it that much cheaper.

Junkie
    FWIW - I've been running asterisk under VMWare server for sometime and have found it to be rock solid so far. We initially we just evaluating the new versions before replacing our production system, but we are now going to replace our production asterisk machine with a VMWare system since it is solid and versatile

Mrmarshmellow,

That sounds great, but that type of plan is so rare, who really has a chance to match it? Posts like this always have the 'na-nanny-boo-boo' feel to them. Free this, free that...it's like someone singing the song of their retention plan they worked on for years in an attempt to make others feel like they are doing something severely wrong by paying for their services.

No offense, but I never understood why people insist on posting the minute details of their plans. Not sure what value it adds outside of making others jealous.

Anyhow, the circumvention of Sprint's airtime certainly sounds interesting. Wonder how long before they figure this out and put a stop to it? Doubtful it will ever happen, since the general population will never go to these lengths to save minutes.

BTW, I have a sweet retention plan, but I'm not telling you the details

Wait. Am I missing something? I thought Viatalk was $20 a month VOIP service that was unlimited. Then I add $5.00 to my Sprint bill to make that number and my Sprint number M2M. Then use simaltaneous ring and it would be free forwarding to my Sprint number. Is this not correct? Also I see the $199 for 2 years thing just went off, is it possible to get some kind of referral from you? I use 2000-4000 minutes a month and my almost $200 a month cell phone bill is killing me.

If all of that is correct, does it also forward callerid information?
    Last edited by ls3mach; 05-07-2006 at 01:45 AM.

ya I have VMWare. I might try it sometime soon. Do I need 2 lines for asterick to work (1 incoming, 1 outgoing) or can I just use 1 VOIP line?

As for voicemail, just call up your voicemail then hit * to go to main menu. Now hit 8. it will ask you to dial a number.

Now call one of your buddies on sprint. If you have mobile 2 mobile free, it won't cost you anything. If he doesn't pick up, it goes to his mailbox. If you hit *** it will ask you for your number and pin. Now you are in your own voicemail system and can hit 8 to dial out. This is a free call since you dialed another sprint number not your own.

Now if you dial 11-415-555-1212 where 415-555-1212 is your buddies number, it will go straight to his voicemail.

You can check your own voicemail/make free calls this way through voicemail but it's a pain because it requires you to punch in a million digits. You can program your phone to use commas to make it automatic on 1 number but it's still kind of a pain.

With viatalk, it just goes directly into your mailbox (turn off password protection) whenever you call your VOIP number. Just hit *8 and you're making free calls!

ls3mach: ya I got in some special deal at $199 / 2 years last week. Sunrocket offers the same thing but I don't know if they do simultaneous ring.

You can always set up the *-box but it seems like a hassle.

ya I have VMWare. I might try it sometime soon. Do I need 2 lines for asterick to work (1 incoming, 1 outgoing) or can I just use 1 VOIP line?

As for voicemail, just call up your voicemail then hit * to go to main menu. Now hit 8. it will ask you to dial a number.

Now call one of your buddies on sprint. If you have mobile 2 mobile free, it won't cost you anything. If he doesn't pick up, it goes to his mailbox. If you hit *** it will ask you for your number and pin. Now you are in your own voicemail system and can hit 8 to dial out. This is a free call since you dialed another sprint number not your own.

Now if you dial 11-415-555-1212 where 415-555-1212 is your buddies number, it will go straight to his voicemail.

You can check your own voicemail/make free calls this way through voicemail but it's a pain because it requires you to punch in a million digits. You can program your phone to use commas to make it automatic on 1 number but it's still kind of a pain.

With viatalk, it just goes directly into your mailbox (turn off password protection) whenever you call your VOIP number. Just hit *8 and you're making free calls!

ls3mach: ya I got in some special deal at $199 / 2 years last week. Sunrocket offers the same thing but I don't know if they do simultaneous ring.

You can always set up the *-box but it seems like a hassle.
    Ok so you are talking about my sprint voicemail box?

Doesn't it take away from my minutes each time I call my voicemail no matter that I have mobile to mobile? I would think it should not since my voicemail number is a sprint number, but I believe it does.
    There is no ideal routine. In fact, the key to any routine lies in your ability to abandon it for another.

You can run all kinds of tricks with an asterisk box in the middle. You can do this is in quite a few ways. You could loop it back out of Sprint via *8, I hadn't thought of that...but it would be trivial to patch that loophole, if Sprint ever decided to do it (due to abuse or whatever). The key thing to get your asterisk server to provide you is a "DISA". Once you reach a DISA extension, you'll hear a new dialtone, that lets you dial anywhere your asterisk server can. You have to have a setup with the asterisk box that has a "in" trunk, and a "out" trunk. This could be a copper land line in (via a FXO adapter), and a voip line out. Or you can use a VOIP service that lets you make/take two phone calls at once (call presences). As far as tying into Sprint for free, you can do 1 of 2 things. You can either buy the "Free to Home" thing from sprint, and just call directly into the asterisk box and dial out from there. Or you can buy a free incoming minute plan, and have the asterisk server call you back after you call it first. Of course, if you go the second route, your limited to how many ever "1 minute phone calls" you can make on your plan.

The code (extensions.conf) might vary, depending on how your asterisk is setup (and/or your VOIP provider), but it should go something like this:

exten => 4145551234/4149876543,1,Answer
    exten => 4145551234/4149876543,n,Authenticate(1234)
    exten => 4145551234/4149876543,n,DISA(no-password|canuseline)

where 4145551234 is your "home" phone #, and 4149876543 is your sprint moblie number. Basically this code will recognize your caller id, ask you for a passcode (of course this is optional, but recommended), and then give you another dial tone(inside the "canuseline" context, giving you enough rights to use the outside going lines). As long as you have a free "out" trunk, your good to go. Asterisk will bridge the two sessions together, and you can talk as long as you want.

It's sort of complicated (and not all the code you need is here), but once you have it set up, it works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by losttime
    You can run all kinds of tricks with an asterisk box in the middle. You can do this is in quite a few ways. You could loop it back out of Sprint via *8, I hadn't thought of that...but it would be trivial to patch that loophole, if Sprint ever decided to do it (due to abuse or whatever). The key thing to get your asterisk server to provide you is a "DISA". Once you reach a DISA extension, you'll hear a new dialtone, that lets you dial anywhere your asterisk server can. You have to have a setup with the asterisk box that has a "in" trunk, and a "out" trunk. This could be a copper land line in (via a FXO adapter), and a voip line out. Or you can use a VOIP service that lets you make/take two phone calls at once (call presences). As far as tying into Sprint for free, you can do 1 of 2 things. You can either buy the "Free to Home" thing from sprint, and just call directly into the asterisk box and dial out from there. Or you can buy a free incoming minute plan, and have the asterisk server call you back after you call it first. Of course, if you go the second route, your limited to how many ever "1 minute phone calls" you can make on your plan.

The code (extensions.conf) might vary, depending on how your asterisk is setup (and/or your VOIP provider), but it should go something like this:

exten => 4145551234/4149876543,1,Answer
    exten => 4145551234/4149876543,n,Authenticate(1234)
    exten => 4145551234/4149876543,n,DISA(no-password|canuseline)

where 4145551234 is your "home" phone #, and 4149876543 is your sprint moblie number. Basically this code will recognize your caller id, ask you for a passcode (of course this is optional, but recommended), and then give you another dial tone(inside the "canuseline" context, giving you enough rights to use the outside going lines). As long as you have a free "out" trunk, your good to go. Asterisk will bridge the two sessions together, and you can talk as long as you want.

It's sort of complicated (and not all the code you need is here), but once you have it set up, it works like a charm.
    Majorly Confused!

also if someone wants to experiment and figure out the best settings for sjphone over EVDO, that's an awesome way to get unlimited calling (both incoming/outgoing) on the ppc-6700.

I noticed a lot of clipping but if I changed some of the buffers it got pretty good.

also if someone wants to experiment and figure out the best settings for sjphone over EVDO, that's an awesome way to get unlimited calling (both incoming/outgoing) on the ppc-6700.

I noticed a lot of clipping but if I changed some of the buffers it got pretty good.
    Can you please explain how this is done? What is sjphone and how do I use it?