+ Reply to Thread

EXTERNAL hard drives: how long should the data last?

I thought I could extract the knowledge/opinion of the experts out there.

Does anyone know how failsafe an external hard drive really is? I've had internal hard drives crash, but that's with frequent use. I would use the external for backup of documents, but also would like to use it as SOLE archival storage of music, video & images, since I only have 40Gigs on each of my 2 computers currently & do not have room to put it all in 1 place and still store software. Ideally, I will probably want/need about 80 Gigs total devoted for storage.

I would plan to either dump some music files or images onto a PC temporarily for playiing or viewing/printing, depending on the media, of course.

Feedback, please.

Comfortably Converged
    This is only speaking anecdotally:

I am in a group of collectors who collect Pink Floyd recordings. What most of us are doing is keeping the files on a hard drive and also backing them up on single or double layer dvds. Many of them only use dvd's manufactured in Japan not Taiwan (a quality issue I guess). They are actually harder to find than you might think. I currently have approx 135 GB of video and audio material stored on 31 single layer 4.7 GB dvd's. I found Fuji dvd's at Best Buy that were made in Japan. As far as External Hard Drives go I currently use a Maxtor, which several ppl in our community have had go bad and they lost everything. La Cie fire wire drives seem to be the HD of choice amongst us now.

I myself would never solely rely upon a HD to store material.

Hope this helps you.

I myself would never solely rely upon a HD to store material.

Well enough said. Thanks!!

I have a portable HD that doubles as an mp3 player. I can store anything I want on it, but if its mp3s (or any sound file, for that matter), I can listen to it as well.

I replaced the hard drive in the device with an 80gig hard drive, and that was a toshiba, I believe. I have only had a hard drive crash in this thing one time, and that was because the whole device was submerged in a pool of soda for about three seconds.

Outside of that, the only other hard drives I have ever had problems with were the original baracuda drives (from about 12 years ago or so). If you want to do the hard drive option, I would suggest setting up a redundant raid drive system. This allows for fairly secure data without the pain of keeping up w/dvd's and/or tape backup data.
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

a hard dirve is a hard drive. whether it be internal or in an external enclosure. I think nearly all major brand drives are rated at or above 50,000 hours mtbf (mean time before failure).

Just make sure that you separate your storage from your os. Create at least two partitions on your internal drive...one for the os and apps and another just for storage.
    i730
    mpx 220