+ Reply to Thread

Actual download limit with "unlimited" data plan?

I have read several reports by people who have been abruptly terminated by Verizon after downloading large amounts of data even though they are on the "unlimited" data plan. The most common scenario seems to be streaming video such as from a SlingBox.

The reports I have read indicate that Verizon enforces a 10 GB/month limit, but I don't know if this is a firm limit.

I would like to know how many bytes/month other people are able to download without running into trouble with Verizon. Please post information about your monthly transfer amount, and let us know if you've gotten any sort of warning or hassle from Verizon.

Comfortably Converged
    http://www.smartphoneforums.com/forums/samsung-i730-i830/64758-my-adventures-getting-disconnected-data-abuse.html

A quick search revealed a good thread from one of our regular members regarding his being disconnected.

Here's a related and active thread from another forum.

--BAM

http://www.evdoforums.com/about1004.html
    Last edited by KBAM; 08-01-2006 at 12:21 AM.

That's an interesting thread; I read all of it. But there are very few reports of data usage that did not result in a warning letter or termination. I saw one message by a person who seems to use about 800 MB a month without hassle.

I would appreciate it if others in this group would report your actual data usage so that we can see what is an acceptable range.

im at 567MB and im about halfway through my billing cycle. my firm pays for my phone so i never see the bill at the end of the month. i just did a #DATA on my phone to get status.
    You poke it, you own it.

Registered Luser
    Using over 10GB in a month will get you cancelled pretty much right away. The cancellation letter states that this is over 40 times normal usage. This tells me that Verizon considers normal usage to be no more than 250MB/ month, or about 8 meg per day. While Verizon has been going after the 10GB+ users mostly right now, they have cancelled at least one person who was in the 5-6GB range for several consecutive months.

I suspect that Verizon won't publically state a "safe" number beyond the hints we get in the cancellation notices is because they intend to lower the bar in the future should they find their network saturated.

I'm pacing at about 5MB per day myself (according to #DATA). That's using push email 24/7, getting only the first 3KB of most emails, light web surfing with images turned off, and accessing Libronix Bible Software with remote desktop connection during church services.
    Last edited by jgjackson; 08-01-2006 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johntchow
    im at 567MB and im about halfway through my billing cycle. my firm pays for my phone so i never see the bill at the end of the month. i just did a #DATA on my phone to get status.
    OK, that's useful information. If you think about it near the end of your billing cycle, please check your data usage and post it.

I've had my data cut off three times since 2003 - no warning letter, no cancellation, just no data connection. In each of the three instances, it was due to a monthly usage of just over 3GB. In all three cases, when I called customer service, I was able to convince them to reinstate the service after assuring them I wasn't violating the TOS by answering their questions correctly. This hasn't happened to me since last November.

Without push email, downloads, streaming, Orbing, Slingboxing, tethering and the like, it's reasonable to project that one's packet data usage won't likely exceed 500MB in a 30-day period, even with 3+ hours per day of EvDO Web activity. (Presumably, EvDO-enabled subscribers can consume 3-5x the amount of packet data of 1xRTT-only folks.)

By VZW's calculations (as cited in its 'ToS violation' letters), a 500MB consumption level represents twice the monthly "average" but should trip no alarms.

Now, from this base level, factor in your use of other data-intensive but authorized services, like push email and incidental file transfer. With these services, it's hard to exceed another 500MB per month. Thus, a rational assumption is that VZW ToS scrutiny would not commence below a threshold usage level of 1GB per month.

To summarize, it is above the level of 1GB monthly usage, or 4x the "average," that impermissible activities can be first presumed by VZW.

As to whether--to a reasonable person--1GB per month constitutes "unlimited" packet data usage in satisfaction of VZW's advertising claim, the answer is clear, and well supported by history. It does not.

It's also of concern that VZW purports to limit, in the fine print, acceptable uses of its data service to the most simplistic activities. As a packet is a packet, it is doubtful that prohibitions against such things as streaming and VoIP can survive a legal battle. Constitutional principles are at risk with this policy. And, to be sure, 'no network infrastructure is harmed in the making of a VoIP call'.

Thus, because VZW has created the expectation of UNLIMITED service, its peculiar combination of promotional hype and ToS restrictions will not likely survive a legal challenge.

As states have an interest in the veracity of advertising claims affecting their residents, complaints to state attorneys general are likely to bear fruit in this controversy.

--BAM

Notes:

1. It's well worth questioning how VZW calculates "average" usage. Lots of issues here.

2. I've commented previously that the word "unlimited" is binary, having two states--"on"
    or "off." If something's advertised as "unlimited," it's "on." This meaning--"without limit"--is simply non-negotiable.
    Last edited by KBAM; 08-12-2006 at 09:04 AM.

DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar
    KBAM,
    Well said -- speaking of seductive advertising (as in "black widow") if you go to thise slingmedia forums that are dedicated to the pocket pc mobile client you will find very attractive VZW advertising: Sling Community Topic: Totally Mobile or Sling Community Topic: Slingplayer Mobile Software if you dont see the VZW ad on the first hit just refresh the page.
    The only constant is change.

Jim,

Geez, advertising like this is baffling given the restrictive ToS. You'd think VZW's packet police would pay attention to where VZW's ads are running.

Presented as evidence (bait-and-switch, entrapment, privacy rights abuse, consumer fraud, etc.) in court, this faux pas---and the related public spectacle--would destroy VZW's credibility and dispatch its ToS to the shredder...where it belongs.

On another laughable note, VZW's ToS doesn't seem to ban streaming TV or video generally, just movies, music, and games. Really!? Such a distinction is, well, simply indefensible.

--BAM
    Last edited by KBAM; 08-12-2006 at 10:08 AM.