+ Reply to Thread

is slingbox acceptable over 1xRTT??

Does the Slingbox manufacturer have open streams available so that I can test the player on the 6700 before committing to purchase the slingbox?

My area only as RTT network access, and though I hope for the best, highly doubt that streaming video will work acceptably. But I'd rather find this out before purchasing the slingbox.

None More Converged jackdaniels's Avatar
    Slingbox does not offer open streams. The quality of the streaming video is based soley on your internet providers upstream and your cellular providers downstream. In my case, after purchasing Slingbox and Slingplayer Mobile, I opted for a better broadband package through Comcast and now average 700kbps upstream and anywhere from 400-700kbps downstream with my PPC-6700. The video stream is almost perfect. My friend owns an MDA using T-Mobile and his video stream is pretty choppy but useable. The only thing you can do is purchase the Slingbox and return it if you don't find your results satisfactory.
    Treo 300, G1000, Treo 600, G1000, PPC-6700, and now the Blackjack.

Thanks for the reply - keeping in mind that I can adjust the encoding stream, in your opinion, would an 1xRTT connection be adequate at all?

I have access to a PPC6600 and installed the sling player on it and its pretty much crap with 1xRTT. Sorry for the bad news. Maybe you can tweak it to go really low on the quality and get it to work but it won't be what it should. If I were you I would buy it and return it to see for yourself. Sucks cause I was hoping I could use the 6600 to watch Football, but its just too painful.
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

None More Converged jackdaniels's Avatar
    IMHO Slingbox is the killer app for these phones. I have used it in 1X areas when I couldn't pull EV when traveling and find it better than the alternative, which is no directivo at all. So I say pull the trigger and try tinkering with the software until you achieve optimal results. If it still isn't up to par make sure you bought it at a store with a good return policy.
    Treo 300, G1000, Treo 600, G1000, PPC-6700, and now the Blackjack.

I was surprised yesterday when watching Slingplayer in fullscreen. I was connected to EVDO when I started the stream, but when I came out of fullscreen I noticed it was running on 1x. I notices a couple slight stutters and some quality decrease, but was pleased with the overall quality. I just switched from Verizon with the Q, and Sling works much better with the Sprint/PPC6700 combo, at least where I live.

I have had a slingbox for quite a while now, and I use it mostly in 1x areas. You might occasionally get a stutter, and it takes a little longer to "level out" at the beginning, but once you get the buffer built up, it runs fine, and is VERY acceptable over a 1x connection.

Slingbox is one of the greatest things for PDA phones, and I personally have talked over 30 people in to getting a slingbox. Totally worth it, even over 1x... It performs better when changing channels on an EVDO connection, but once you get your channel, 1x streams it fine.

I would agree with the poster who referenced your home networks upload speed. This is more important than being in EVDO range.