+ Reply to Thread

Wanted: Super short USB cable

I'm going nuts trying to find a super duper short USB cable. Ideally I'd like:

1. USB A to mini-B connector (the kind that works with our phones)
    2. 6 inches or less in length.
    3. Not retractable.
    4. Not made out of a bigger cable cut down and then halfassed back together with shrink-tubing.

Google is coming up empty-handed for me, so is ebay. I can't be the only person looking for this, can I?

Maybe with more eyes on the lookout we can find something together.

If someone finds one of these, I'll be eternally grateful.

The retractable ones are the only ones that I know of. Why would you need it so short? At that point you should probably just make your own.

I've got a 2gb memory card for my phone and am using Card Export (makes your phone look like a memory card to your desktop computer), and would like to carry around a USB cable to hook it up.

After playing with a retractable cable, it's just too bulky. :-/

Problem is that unlike a memory stick the phone is too heavy to hang from a cable.. There are going to be times where you need to set the phone down and the USB port is going to be in an odd place... Might be best to go retractable.

Tech Addict
    daoist,

Been looking for some short USB A to mini-B cables too, with the same results.... Only able to find retractable adaptors with the thin - cheap cables.

If I find any, I'll make sure to post.

Best to all,
    R

Try contacting Arkon (makers of PDA car mounts.) You won't find any on their web site for sale but if you call them, they will sell you just the USB charging cable for your device.
    John

Do this, go to Best Buy and go buy one of the all-in-one card readers from Sandisk. They are around $40. They come with a USB A to mini b that's around 4-6 inches long, straight cable. You will get the benefit of having an all-in-one card reader, and get your short cable.

That's the only one I know of. I have one from it, and that's what I carry in my laptop bag.

Yep, was about to suggest the same thing. The cable included with those card readers fits your specs exactly. It's not required for the card reader either. It is meant to be used to make the card reader portable, but the card reader normally has a regular USB cable hooked up to it so the short little cable is entirely superfluous.

The other option would be one of those Brando mini-usb adapter keychains. Can't get much smaller and more pocketable than that--and the price is right:

http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail...015&cat_id=042

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing
    Do this, go to Best Buy and go buy one of the all-in-one card readers from Sandisk. They are around $40. They come with a USB A to mini b that's around 4-6 inches long, straight cable. You will get the benefit of having an all-in-one card reader, and get your short cable.

That's the only one I know of. I have one from it, and that's what I carry in my laptop bag.
    Wow thanks, I hadn't even considered that.

I'm going to keep looking (my laptop already has a 6-in-1 reader in it), but if I can't find anything else, I'll pick one of these up and try to resell it (with a longer cable instead of the short one, of course )

Oh When that Shark Bites! LBOCEAN's Avatar
    Well, this reply may be a bit short (ahem) in coming, but I found your thread via a search for a short usb cable myself, and found a website I think you might like, so I'm passing it along never the less.

They have short! And, Angled ones too!

Buzz around this site and enjoy!

A Extensions - USB Extensions - Short - Angled