+ Reply to Thread

Question for all Slingbox users!

I currently have high speed cable internet at home hooked up to my computer through USB. Do I have to have an Ethernet connection to set up a sling box? I have a jack on the back of my modem for an ethernet connection but I do not have an ethernet card in my computer. I f I need to have an ethernet connnection what is the best and cheapest way and place to buy this suff? If i HAVE to have an ethernet connection will I just need some type of router and ethernet card? Where would be the best place to buy this stuff if I have to have it

I do not Have Slingbox, but for your setup issue you will want to purchase a USB Ethernet adapter and a Router (I suggest the Linksys WRT54g router, incase you want to expand to wireless in the future.) Look at a Sunday newspaper and see which store has the best prices this week.

it has nothing to do with your computer!! you will need a router. The sling box connects straight to the internet with your basic cat 5 cable! I have a cable modem also, connected to a router and then the router connects to the computer down one line and to my sling box down another via cat 5. I also have two replay tvs connected to this router. Love watching my replay in my living room from hotels rooms around the world! here check these out! they will have more info than you will ever need.

http://www.slingcommunity.com/

http://www.slingmedia.com/us/support/
    Last edited by poncho188; 08-29-2006 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by poncho188
    it has nothing to do with your computer!! you will need a router. The sling box connects straight to the internet with your basic cat 5 cable! I have a cable modem also, connected to a router and then the router connects to the computer down one line and to my sling box down another via cat 5. I also have two replay tvs connected to this router. Love watching my replay in my living room from hotels rooms around the world! here check these out! they will have more info than you will ever need.

http://www.slingcommunity.com/

http://www.slingmedia.com/us/support/
    Ok so I DO not need an ethernet card in my comp and I do NOT need an ethernet connection?

By doing this can someone be on my home computer internet, someone be watching the TV that I have the slingbox hooked up to AND me watching TV on my phone but a different channel that the person is watching on my TV that the sling box is hooked up on? If not what do I nned to do?

Ok so I DO not need an ethernet card in my comp and I do NOT need an ethernet connection? NO but you will need a router with a USB output and a cat 5 output (I saw some at bestbuy.com), connected to your computer and to your sling box

By doing this can someone be on my home computer internet, someone be watching the TV that I have the slingbox hooked up to AND me watching TV on my phone but a different channel that the person is watching on my TV that the sling box is hooked up on? If not what do I nned to do? yes IF you do not have a cable box!! if you have a cable box, cable boxs can only put out one signal at a time so that means that the TV and the sling will see the same thing! I have a cable box, so I put a split in the cable line before the box and feed that to one of the inputs on sling! so when I am away I can watch BASIC cable on my sling or switch to my replaytv and watch it, at home they can watch the box cable (more channels)!! as far as using your computer at the same time as some one is using the sling! yes! you may notice a small slow down of download speed but not much! you are using a good chunk of the pipe for the sling!

Quote Originally Posted by poncho188
    Ok so I DO not need an ethernet card in my comp and I do NOT need an ethernet connection? NO but you will need a router with a USB output and a cat 5 output (I saw some at bestbuy.com), connected to your computer and to your sling box

By doing this can someone be on my home computer internet, someone be watching the TV that I have the slingbox hooked up to AND me watching TV on my phone but a different channel that the person is watching on my TV that the sling box is hooked up on? If not what do I nned to do? yes IF you do not have a cable box!! if you have a cable box, cable boxs can only put out one signal at a time so that means that the TV and the sling will see the same thing! I have a cable box, so I put a split in the cable line before the box and feed that to one of the inputs on sling! so when I am away I can watch BASIC cable on my sling or switch to my replaytv and watch it, at home they can watch the box cable (more channels)!! as far as using your computer at the same time as some one is using the sling! yes! you may notice a small slow down of download speed but not much! you are using a good chunk of the pipe for the sling!

Do I need to 2 of these routers, one for comp and one for slingbox? (I know it may be a stupid question, but I am a little technology illiterate)

You only need one router in your house connected to your connection, and if you just need a Cat5/Ethernet/Network cable going from the Slingbox to the router. Almost all routers have more than one port to connect multiple devices, so you should have at least one open port, and if not, you would need to obtain an Ethernet Switch between the router and the slingbox.

Slingbox has a great community on their forums, and MANY different diagrams of connection possibilities. I suggest that you all take a quick look there for easy solutions in getting your Slingbox hooked up. Those links are mentioned in post #3.

These guys say I cant.....

http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/.../14802/?page=1

Whos right?

I agree with bigmike, linksys is great, affordable but still just as good as the more expensive options.