+ Reply to Thread

Angry I got scammed on craigslist and got a bad ESN PPC-6700

I can't believe I got scammed. I met the douche bag last night and he was on the phone with Sprint as he came to meet me. He even let me listen as the Sprint representative spoke "the phone now has a clean ESN". What he was probably doing was transferring his new PPC-6700 from his other sprint phone that he was using at the time and not the phone that he sold to me. Now all I can do is ebay it and lose 100$+. I'm really pissed off. He doesnt pick up his phone and he has the balls to make a voice mail message saying "you can leave a voice mail but I'll probably not call you back". What would you guys do if you were in my situation and had his address? We met at a gas station so I dont actually have his home address but I wish I did.

Did you call Sprint and see what they said? They just might be able to help tracking this ******* down.

Yes I called Sprint this morning since I still had a feeling that it might have a bad ESN. Once I noticed that the box has a different ESN # than the phone I knew I was scammed. When I called Sprint, the representative kept on saying I cant disclose any information. I even asked would it be possible that the phone has not been deactivated yet since last and thats why it still shows up as bad ESN and he still said I cant disclose that information. So I got really frustrated with him and hung up.

Well since the box has a different ESN than your phone, you probably have his new ESN, so you should be able to track him down if you can somehow get Sprint to comply.

I already have his phone # which he still uses and it shows up on the ppc6700 that he sold me when I did ##786#. So I have his phone # and possibly his new ESN. Anyone know if I can do anything with this info. Or will they keep telling me its confidential information and we cant discuss other peoples accounts.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mcjazz1232
    I already have his phone # which he still uses and it shows up on the ppc6700 that he sold me when I did ##786#. So I have his phone # and possibly his new ESN. Anyone know if I can do anything with this info. Or will they keep telling me its confidential information and we cant discuss other peoples accounts.
    ok i got an idea!! but listen carefully!! u need to be as sleek as possible.
    ok once i recieved i call from sprint pcs bcuz of an issue on my plan, they told me i had an issue on my plan and i needed to get it solved so they contacted me for that reason, but they told me that they needed to verify my info before going anyfurther so i gave them my name and they also ask the last 4 digits of the ss# so wat u have to do is make this asswipe hand over his own info then u call sprint with his info and clear that esn from the ppc 6700 that u have!!

wat happened was that he reported his phone lost/stolen and claimed insurance so he could get a new one and then trick someone into buying it..just call sprint with his info(if u ever get it) and tell them u found the old phone and u want to clear that esn or w.e
    GOOOD Luuck man

Dude if I had his last 4 digits of his social security # then yea I would be able to get this thing straighten out and I would be able to F his **** up in the process but theres no way I can get his SSN.

File a police report for fraud.

We only talked over the phone so theres no email record of the transaction. He can say to the Police that I stole his phone.

1. Where is the craigslist listing? It shows he was selling a phone.
    2. Did you pay him cash? If you withdrew it from bank, there is a record that you withdrew the money.
    3. This might be silly question, but did you get a receipt from him?
    4. Did you call him from your cell phone? If so, it shows that you contacted him.
    5. If you stole it, how did you get the box?
    6. Do you have phone bill record showing you attempt to contact him afterwards?

There has to some trails on how you obtained the phone from him. There is always a timeline of how things happened. You should have enough information to at least demostrate that you did not steal the phone from him.

1.I just checked craigslist and he deleted his listing. 2. I withdrew money from an ATM at a gas station 10 minutes before I met him at that same gas station. 3. No receipt from him 4. He called me couple of times before the transaction took place 5. Actually the box he gave me has a different IMEI# then what shows up on the phone. I'm thinking that the box is from his new PPC-6700. 6. I don't know how that would help me. I did find an email message where he says "are you still interested in the phone?". The idiot put his first and last name on his email header and thats how I was able to track him down. Sprint can also verify that he called them on the night that we met. Would that be enought to call the cops on this guy?
    Last edited by mcjazz1232; 10-13-2006 at 02:18 PM.

That's not a whole lot you have to press on him. You will have to make a judgement call on whether to bite the bullet and treat this as a lesson learned, or spend more time and possible money to pursue this as a matter of principal to punish bad guys. If going for the latter, I would get some legal advice as to whether any further pursuing will get you in trouble since you don't have a whole lot on him and like you said, he can accuse you of stealing the phone.

The sad thing is, you will probably never have restitution from this. Scams happen all the time online, and you will probably not find a solution other than losing $100 on the transaction. You could try to file a police report, but that probably won't help. You do have phone records, but the police probably dont care either. Someone stole two checks from us, and wrote $300 worth of bad checks on our account from it. We filed a police report. We had their name, address, fingerprints. Guess what... No resititution, and we handed them the case.

It sucks, and I am sorry, man..
    Nephi
    "Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." -- D&C 122:9

Mcjazz,

What is your location? I recently had 2 PPC's stolen. That might be a way to track them.

Several thoughts here:

Sprint probably cannot give you the time of day. However, if you want to report this guy for insurance fraud (a felony in most states) you can probably call Sprint and get info on how to do that. While you likely will not end up with a working phone, you will send this guy out for several new pairs of Haynes as the letters and calls start coming. I would guess that he will never try this trick again, and anyone who knows him will also probably not want to play this game either. Nothing like registered mail to make you rethink your behavior.

You have his phone number. Time to leave some long messages so that he has no voice mail (putting the phone to a radio works well). Also, the next time you are out late at the bar you may want to give him a call from a pay phone just to see if he answers at 2:am or lets it go to voice mail.

If he met you at a gas station and did not drive there he probably lives in a three block radius of that station. You may be able to get his name from a whitepages or local university housing office (if he is of that age).

Good luck...

Bad ESN

Did you resolve your problem ? I am willing to buy any new or like new bad esn sprint phones .

I sold a phone on ebay. I was unable to call sprint befor I left the country for a trip. I sent the phone out the same day I got the money and left. Some how the person I sold it covenced sprint thru email and ebay saying i sold him the phone. I dont know how he did it. But i know he used ebay and the email ect. So im sure it will work that way. I dont know if that will help at all.

Bring it in to a sprint store.

I have ha3 3 phones that had esn problems. With 2 of them the sprint customer service said they can not activate them. I brought to the sprint store and they said that over the phone they cant help but now that they see that I have the phone in hand they will assume that I owen the phone. So they over road the esn problems and activated it to my phone # on the spot. I also had a 3rd phone that was reported lost or stolen. I moved to the big island of Hawaii. No sprint store here. When one of the pda sprint tech support guys accidentally found out that I had a phone that was lost or stolen he offered to fix it for me over the phone. I said yes and then can you activate it for me on my phone #? And he did. Lucky? I think so.... But just keep calling (Pda tech support NOT CUSTEMER SERVIECE) and one of them will do it for you.

I got it! Here is what you do. Activate his phone with your information. Then call your number, it will ring to his phone. Im sure he will answer for someone you know...