+ Reply to Thread

switch to sprint was worth every penny

After years of being with verizon and having all the samsung ppc's I finally switched to sprint due to the cost I decieded to buy a 700wx, I would have bought a i-830w but could not afford it. I am extremely pleased after 3months I now have night and weekends at 6pm and the plan costs the same. there evdo blows vzw away smoking fast. plus coverage in all service areas which here is very large. always full signal until I lose and go to roam. evdo service at 15.00 is great. I understand you are all hard core i-730 guys like I was but really the treo I have to say is the best phone I have ever had, never have to reset it and it is completely 1 handed useable, things I don't miss about the i730 the only down fall is the screen size and the buttons are not compatible with the nes emu's but wm5 is almost flawless on this phone and everything runs smoother than the i730 all the time even with the i730 overclocked. I loved my i730 to death but I wanted you all to know what happened to me, and my experience with the change.

By the way verizon doesn't like the attorney general at all and finally offered me my UNLIMITED INTERNET ACCESS BACK! but I told them to stick it and I wanted out of my contracts which they did!

good luck to you all I hope I shed some light on the dark side! It is great over here!

same usage
    verizon monthly bill 249.00
    sprint monthly bill 140.00
    no comparison

Ian

Same here...And as much as I loved my i730, the standard battery on the 700wx will last me two days without a recharge. The i730 can't come close to that with the extended battery. And I can overclock my wx to 520 easily with xcpu...but I don't need to because everything seems to run perfectly without it. Go figure.

yep the battery kicks ass, I can use my bt all day and surf all day still never out that is the other thing I feel Is better.

I'd be convergered if only ... wodin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ianandamy
    same usage
    verizon monthly bill 249.00
    sprint monthly bill 140.00
    no comparison
    Ian
    I have been considering eating the ETF and moving to a Sprint 6700 for a while now. The problem is I have a three phone family plan, so I'd have to eat the ETF thrice; that's $450.

Now that I've bought a Vaio TX with an embedded Sprint EVDO card, there are even more options available. I'm thinking of maybe moving away from PPC altogether, stuffing the Vaio in a man purse (already have one on order), and getting a RAZR for talking on.

orrr ...

Since the beloved beastie is NOT the primary account on the family plan, maybe I'll just replace it, unload the data plan, and get a Sprint data plan for the TX.

orrr ... uhhh ... the possibilities are mind boggling!
    Don't mess with old futs...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B. S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!

definatly do not get the 6700 you will regret it.

Everyone seems to automatically think of Sprint when blowing off the big V, but why not Cingular? You have to sell your phone and buy another anyway.
    Cingular's rolling out HSDPA, and already have 2 new smartphones for it. You can pick up an 8525 with BT 2.0 out of the box, real wifi (g and b), and a 2MB camera with flash! (imagine that...a camera!). It will set you back 4 bills, but I guess you can get maybe 3 for your i730 on Ebay.
    have you read the latest posts on www.NextInWireless.com ?

Well Sprint has the most reasonable data plan prices. Also, if you can get on a SERO plan it's even better. I don't think any of the other carriers have something like SERO. $30 a month for the amount of minutes I need + unlimited EVDO and unlimited SMS is great. I'm never leaving Sprint unless another carrier offers something better.

Sprint & Palm 700WX

I've been with Sprint for about five years. My old Samsung i600 has been hanging in there, but it's time for a change. I looked around at the various carriers and their fees for using internet access. Yes, Sprint seems to be recognizably less expensive than the other carriers.

I'm not impressed with Sprint's smartphone selection, though. They consistently appear to be two steps behind other carriers in the products that they provide. Although I like the flip-phone design, it seems a full QWERTY keyboard is a good resource to have. The one or two flip or sliders that offered that were quite expensive. So I was looking very closely at either the T-Mobile Dash, or the Nokia E62--they both pack a lot of punch (Dash has wi-fi, too). However, the additional cost for internet service didn't match Sprint's. Verizon has a nice offer ($99 for the phone) on the Motorola Q; but the user reviews on it were critical of its software performance.

Here's the kicker--I found someone who could get me a Treo700WX (on Sprint) for no cost for the phone, with a 2-year commitment (provided I met their financial screening). So I'm waiting for that to arrive, and will move to that forum, and add my Samsung i600 to my old i300 as relics of communication history.
    Keith
    ~ My karma ran over my dogma. ~

Sero

Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Well Sprint has the most reasonable data plan prices. Also, if you can get on a SERO plan it's even better. I don't think any of the other carriers have something like SERO. $30 a month for the amount of minutes I need + unlimited EVDO and unlimited SMS is great. I'm never leaving Sprint unless another carrier offers something better.
    Do you have to be an employee for SERO? (you have a link with info?)
    And nights start at 7pm? Isthat new for Sprint? (MUCH better than 9!)

I just miss the versatility of using SIM cards and worldwide use, which is why I am thinking Cingular. Plus they have that 8525.
    Last edited by rob0101; 12-10-2006 at 12:16 AM.
    have you read the latest posts on www.NextInWireless.com ?

Quote Originally Posted by ianandamy
    definatly do not get the 6700 you will regret it.
    Out of all the sprint pda phones i have had

Sprint VisorPhone

Sprint Treo 300

Sprint Treo 650

Sprint Treo 700w

the 6700 is THE BEST in my opinion, of course it has its days, its microsoft what can you expect but out of all the phones i've had this is the best in my opinion.

I'm with you, I was with Sprint from 2000-2005 and loved them. I only switched because my phone (samsung N400) kept dying on a business trip and the lady at the Sprint store in Chicago could have cared less - and when I wanted a new phone, they didn't have anything I liked at the time.

Went with the Cingular Razr which was a total mistake. Too many dropped calls, and just 1 year later, I'm lucky to talk on the fully charged phone for 30 minutes. Plus friends keep saying when they call my number it says "this is not a working number". The real kicker is between the MediaNet (SlowNet) and text messaging my bill is $120 a month when it was only $42 with Sprint.

Final straw was when I went to Cingular store and asked for a new phone or credit for the dropped email connections using MSN Mobile (it still charges even though it can't connect). I was told "GOOD LUCK".

Now I'm back with Sprint, good service, no dropped calls, and paying $60 a month for the 6700, saving 18% a month with employee plan, and loving the service I received in the store so far. As far as I'm concerned, I made a mistake ever leaving Sprint and will stay with them for as long as they are providing me quality service.

2000 anytimes minutes (hardly use half of them), unlimted Vision and sms, 3 phones with protection plan, nights start at 7pm, free PCS to PCS calling; BCPE, Pictures, great service everywhere I travel in the US, best of all the I500; all for $110/month after employee discount. I don't understand what folks complain about re Sprint.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I have been on Sprint for years... have 5 lines on there at present, although my older daughter's is suspended and may get axed soon (that's another story). Best carrier is going to vary greatly by geography. I simply can't get coverage with anyone but Sprint in the places I spend 90% of my time.... so they get my $200/month... its as simple as that. What is ticking me off is that they still haven't rolled out EVDO here in Albany, NY. This is the largest metro area they aren't in. Verizon finally rolled it out a few months ago, so I'm hopeful it will happen soon. I'd hate to have to buy a Verizon device just to get EVDO!
    Mike - Been Converged?

I think you guys are completely nuts.

I was with Sprint for over 5 years. Everything from a Treo 650, down to the basic clamshell.

The service was horrible, but if I called and complained long enough, they've give me freebies. Consumer Reports just came out with a ranking of the best/worst providers.....wanna guess who's got the most dropped calls/dead spots and worst customer service???

Sprint/Nextel.

True, Verizon is about 12% more on just about everything (data plans, minutes etc), but this is a simple case of you get what you pay for.

Too bad Verizon doesn't get the best phones, and are such a pain about transferring contacts...they get the best service in Canada and charge the least out of any of the big boys and have great overall coverage.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanmtx
    I think you guys are completely nuts.

I was with Sprint for over 5 years. Everything from a Treo 650, down to the basic clamshell.

The service was horrible, but if I called and complained long enough, they've give me freebies. Consumer Reports just came out with a ranking of the best/worst providers.....wanna guess who's got the most dropped calls/dead spots and worst customer service???

Sprint/Nextel.

True, Verizon is about 12% more on just about everything (data plans, minutes etc), but this is a simple case of you get what you pay for.

Too bad Verizon doesn't get the best phones, and are such a pain about transferring contacts...they get the best service in Canada and charge the least out of any of the big boys and have great overall coverage.
    No, we are not nuts... we just have different needs from yours. I've said this many times, and will say it again. Carrier suitability is HIGHLY dependent on exactly where you use your mobile phone. You can move 10' and go from good coverage to bad coverage with any carrier if you happen to be in the right spot. Every person in the country has slightly different usage patterns, and each carrier has totally different maps.

Believe me or not, I live, work, and spend 95% of my time in the county which is the location of the capital of NY State. I'm a mile from the major newspaper, 2 miles from the airport, and 2 miles from the NY State office campus and UAlbany. I'm just about smack in the middle of the county and all of these major landmarks. Verizon Wireless does not work for me at all... no coverage or poor coverage in the 3 primary places I use my mobile phone. Sprint works excellent in these locations. Every other feature, function, or customer service capability are ALL trumped if you don't have wireless coverage where you need to use your phone.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Really, I've never had a problem with my Verizon phone anywhere in those places you mentioned when I visit my sister in NY. A friend of mine dropped Sprint (when he waited 2 hours on hold for customer service only to be hung up on when someone picked up - he then called back and waited another 45 minutes -- they credited his time back to him) and switched to Nextel. Of course he's now with Sprint/Nextel and he moved out to the sticks in MD(Hampstead) and his Sprint coverage is awful (he's constantly dropping calls). I also love the fact that my Verizon works in the tunnels on the D.C. metro while everyone else shuts down.

I've been with Verizon for about 5-6 year and my sister in NY has been with Sprint -- she's had more problems with her phone (can't hear her, call is full of static, dropped calls and she's had her phone replaced about 3x already). I think she's locked into her contract otherwise I think she's ready to switch carriers to Verizon since most of the family is on Verizon so her calls would be free.

Not bashing on Sprint since they do have some nice stuff that I wish Verizon would get (free calls at 7:00 etc) but then again - I usually don't make any calls on my cell phone past 7 and if I do they are mostly to Verizon phones and if they aren't I have so many minutes that's I never use them all in a month anyway.