+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Apple iPhone

Anybody thinking of jumping ship for this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone

Thumbs up WOW! Have you seen the iPhone?!

THIS is serious competition for the 6700 et al!
    So, Bill Gates dies, and ascends to heaven. He meets up with Saint Peter at the gates and says "Hey, it's Bill, I'm just going to go on in." And Saint Peter says, "Sorry Bill, everyone is equal in God's eyes. You need to stand in line like everyone else."

Grudgingly, Gates walks to the end of the enormous line of folks awaiting entrance. As he's waiting, an iPod-white limo passes him and rolls up to heaven's gate's. The door opens and out steps Steve Jobs. Saint Peter greets him and, after a few brief words, welcomes him into heaven.

Gates is furious. He storms up to the front of the line and confronts Saint Peter: "Hey! I thought you said everyone was equal here! But, I just saw Steve Jobs cut to the front of the line and you let him in without a second thought."

And Saint Peter laughs and replies, "Oh no, that wasn't Steve Jobs. That was God; he only thinks he's Steve Jobs."
    See http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Last edited by cavu; 01-09-2007 at 07:53 PM.
    Stop dreaming - start flying!

Very Impressive!

Other than the fact that Apple products break or malfunction every other power-on, it looks promising.

It has real potential IF its sturdy enough to handle daily life. I do think that I would miss some of the capabilities of my 6700 if I were to switch down the road.

Bottom line, I probably would not buy the phone, but I probably will buy the stock.

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansdik
    Other than the fact that Apple products break or malfunction every other power-on, it looks promising.
    Mmmmmm . . . methinks you're confusing Apple products with other OSs . . . let's see . . . my old Samsung i700 that spewed PC-arcane messages at the most inopportune times -- like while I was driving at high speeds . . . or my current Treo 700p (which I truly love) that requires daily resets . . .
    Last edited by TechWriter; 01-09-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Wow, awesome device!! I still like WM 5.0 though, I would definately miss my GPS program

Yeh I watched the entire Keynote speech on it. here: http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/

(watch Iphone introduction).

Very impressive phone.

Happily Converged

iPhone

definitely... it's just a matter of time. Only questions are (i) whether the touch screen will resist scratches, and whether it will still work if one applies a transparent protective plastic stick-on screen; and (ii) will the iPhone sync with Windows (Jobs seemed to say it would, but we'll see...).

I'll seriously miss the form factor of the i500, and being able to carry it in a pants pocket, but the iPhone is simply impossible to resist.

Oddly, the presentation today was all about media... and no mention of whether the iPhone will open a Word document attached to an email. How useful will it be as a business smartphone? Yet to be seen.

well, it looks cool, but... nah... not going to jump ship for it...
    it, again, looks like a great device for many functions BUT not as a phone. I still want my tactile, single-handed dialpad. And, not being a flipphone, its screen ain't gonna last bouncing around in my pocket along with keys and other stuff.
    I didn't see any mention of battery life, but I doubt Apple can defy physical laws nor develop any truly fundamental breakthroughs in that field -- its not what they can do. And finally, it is GSM/EDGE and that's not where I want to be right now.

I think it will likely give the MS/PPC phone market a serious challenge as this device kills all of those devices. And its very cool that it actually runs OS X. But like PPC phones, it looks kinda geeky/complex to me, which is probably fine for me, but not sure that most folks are up for the challenge of using anything more complex than PalmOS, which itself is a bit much for many, nevermind MS PPC. Survey after survey shows that most people just want a reliable phone with perhaps a few easy-to-use features. I know folks that were GIVEN a free Treo 700w to use, with service, and they gave it back after a few days.

That's what has always been a big selling point of the i500 for me, that it is really a great, reliable phone, hardly ever crashes... But, yeah, the iPhone certainly is cool... could see using it instead of a laptop, particularly if it supports Slingbox someday (unlikely, given Apple iTV)...

Impressive for the "common man". Definitely not inpressive for the power user. Without the WM5 software library, I think it's really just a an ipod/cellphone hybrid with evdo. Not much to get hard about. What I really dig is the interface. Macs have intuitive guis down pat. That's where Microsoft could take a lesson or two.

It's got the "wow" factor but when it comes right down to it, the v1 iPhone has some glaring deficiencies:

1. No carrier flexibility (at the outset)
    2. No 3G data
    3. No expandabilty
    4. No user-replaceable battery
    5. No 3rd party apps (according to engadget)
    6. The only thing that can sync wirelessly is e-mail

Those last two are the biggest hindrances, IMHO. Nothing will replace my PPC6700 unless it can at a minimum sync contacts, calendar, tasks, and e-mail over a wireless data connection. The act of cradling your device to one computer to get any data on/off of it is soooooo yesterday. I will never go back to that, because I use several different computers throughout the day (and am totally without a computer for parts of the day).

But I agree (and said as much in another thread) that this is just the "kick in the pants" MS needs to re-tool its OS into something truly next-gen. I like Windows Mobile 5 as much as the next guy, but comparing it to WM2003 there really isn't that much difference. With Microsoft's immense resources, they probably need to double the size of their Windows Mobile dept. and truly put some hard work into increasing the reliability and usability of their OS. They still have many advantages over Apple in this space, so there's no reason they can't trump AAPL in short order.
    Last edited by luv2chill; 01-10-2007 at 12:59 AM.

i actually really like the phone. i'm thinking about replacing my 6700 with a 700wx, but the lack of wifi is the deal breaker.

if sprint ever picks up the iphone, i'd probably pick it up.
    -Cicada

In addition to MB's concerns, I wonder how data/word entry on the net and e-mail/SMS will really be accomplished with one's fingers:

"E-mail
    The QWERTY keyboard is used in the iPhone HTML e-mail program, which also enables the user to view photos in an e-mail alongside the text. Yahoo! will be providing a free Push-IMAP e-mail service similar to that on a BlackBerry, and Microsoft Exchange Server e-mail is accessible via IMAP."

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Quote Originally Posted by luv2chill
    It's got the "wow" factor but when it comes right down to it, the v1 iPhone has some glaring deficiencies:

1. No carrier flexibility (at the outset)
    2. No 3G data
    3. No expandabilty
    4. No user-replaceable battery
    5. No 3rd party apps (according to engadget)
    6. The only thing that can sync wirelessly is e-mail

Those last two are the biggest hindrances, IMHO. Nothing will replace my PPC6700 unless it can at a minimum sync contacts, calendar, tasks, and e-mail over a wireless data connection. The act of cradling your device to one computer to get any data on/off of it is soooooo yesterday. I will never go back to that, because I use several different computers throughout the day (and am totally without a computer for parts of the day).

But I agree (and said as much in another thread) that this is just the "kick in the pants" MS needs to re-tool its OS into something truly next-gen. I like Windows Mobile 5 as much as the next guy, but comparing it to WM2003 there really isn't that much difference. With Microsoft's immense resources, they probably need to double the size of their Windows Mobile dept. and truly put some hard work into increasing the reliability and usability of their OS. They still have many advantages over Apple in this space, so there's no reason they can't trump AAPL in short order.
    Excellent post, well stated... I agree totally.. After you get past the Wow factor its definitely not for the Power smartphone user. Third party apps are what make a PDA phone useful for power users needs so that it replaces many of the function of carrying a laptop. Besides if it could sync my PIM data it would probably make my contact list proprietary the way itunes jacked up my MP3 collection!
    None the less I think its great to see more PDA-phone players on the block and hopefully it should make the PDA market generate some competition and developments. I think it also signals that the PDA phone market is going to go mainstream... I think a basic converged device like this will become more the standard and a cell phone only devices will become less common. So do you think we'll see the Newton reborn into PDA phone!

Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 01-10-2007 at 10:17 AM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

What about Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Adobe, Outlook email on this iPhone?

Good Lord, do I have phone envy...

I just jumped from the i500 to the Treo 700p, but I would have tried real hard to hold out if I had known it was going to be like *this*. I just have no idea why I didn't realize it would be so well integrated with OS X, (a mini version of it, apparently) and that it would do so much. Gosh, my contract expires in almost two years, which means an 18 month or so wait for me.

Maybe by then there will be a CDMA version, and I can stick with Sprint?
    It's a pond. My god. It's JUST a pond!!!
    WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE??!??!!???
    -Thoreau, in a sudden moment of realization

wheeee!

absolutely! I love my i500 and will miss a few features but this is what I've been waiting for. Opened a cingular account last year in anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by ycats
    What about Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Adobe, Outlook email on this iPhone?
    Jobs said:The iPhone will allow Apple to create desktop-class applications and networking, as opposed to "the crippled stuff" found on most smart phones.
    Stop dreaming - start flying!

Quote Originally Posted by cavu
    Jobs said:The iPhone will allow Apple to create desktop-class applications and networking, as opposed to "the crippled stuff" found on most smart phones.
    That remains to be seen. Nevertheless, the "low-speed" network capability they chose to build into the phone kills it for power users.

The average user might well love it. And Paris Hilton will have the first one ever sold, Nicole Richey #2 and maybe Brittney #3.

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.