+ Reply to Thread

Earn 100 dollars with your GPS!! Anyone heard of this? Legit?

Hey there- just wondering if anyone has heard of this, I searched here and found nothing on the forums about it. I wanted to purchase a BT GPS for my 6700 so I went looking at Semsons and there was this ad that claimed to pay you 100 dollars for basically downloading their "wireless barometer" software and letting it collect data points with your phone and GPS for a few months while you go about your business.

The idea is that this companys software runs in the background, takes readings of your cell signal strength and other factors affecting quality of service, tags the readings with a geographical location, and then uploads it to their website database. They then use the information for the carriers, as they are actually a consulting firm. They advertise, however, an offer that says if you sign up for the service they will pay you 25 dollars for every 10,000 data points collected up to a maximum of 40,000 points and 100 dollars. The advertisement literally reads "Don't have a gps? The money will pay for one!".

The company is incode wireless, their software product that you use for this offer is called "wireless barometer". Other features/points of warning are that it does report your location to the web literally they give you a URL to go to to track to position of your phone if you like, and on your phone you can retreive mps of your current location with cell tower quality data overlayed onto it for the area.

Like I said, I found the ad at Semsons and it sounds reasonable to my ears, but I'm trying to get a general idea of whether it's really legit or not, IE, since i've signed up, it seems hard or impossible to contact them regarding support. The email system won't accept anything, always undeliverable. I'm going to try and call tomorrow, but I'd appreciate anyone's experience with the company if available. I am really hoping to hear that it isn't a scam and I can go ahead and blow the money on that gps!

Right on their website "inCode Telecom Group, Inc. has the right to decide final form of payment. "

AKA it could be a gift card to one of their products or affiliates worth upto $100.

ya its gonna be a scam.

who cares about the money????

oh, wireless barometer where have you been all my life?

now, if they would add alltel as a wireless carrier . . . .

--Marlin

Well if it were a gift cert to something like semsons, where they were advertised to begin with, I guess I wouldn't mind. Haven't called yet, will do tomorrow

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Semsons is a partner of ours, and I've had good success working with them for a number of years... going back to before I started PPH. I have emailed Carlon at Semsons to find out more info on this.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I actually just received a reply to a support request email I sent to the "wireless barometer" company. It was actually very helpful, and did clarify each and every question I had sent them initially.

Basically, they mail a prepaid credit card when you start hitting the 10k intervals, and even though our phones are supported it seems that the website is incorrect in that this software will absolutely require (at least me) to have a GPS installed before it will start uploading their data points.

Basically, more like a mail in rebate on buying a GPS. Sounds cool enough to me, so i'll give it a shot and probably report back on it for anyone who wants future reference on it.

Did anyone do this? Anyone get their gift card yet?

Quote Originally Posted by fatlard View Post
    Did anyone do this? Anyone get their gift card yet?
    Yes! I did it! After several weeks I had logged an excess of 40000 points. I had trouble contacting the company, I think at the time the support email link was broken. However after I did get in contact with them, I received an $100 prepaid amex card very promptly!

Bummer they don't want the Samsung sch-i730.