+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

What I deal with... PPH is Cingular Level 3 Support?

I'll post this here just to let everyone know a) what we deal with behind the scenes, and b) what kind of support you get at PPH (PDAPhoneHome).

I received this fairly typical email this morning:

hello, i have a problem, i have an unlock phone but i cannot get the settings to be able to get the internet on my phone, i am with cingular and they told me to talk to you, what can i do ? ...
    I'd love to get some of those "recorded" support calls from these companies that refer people to us for support.

To set the record straight, PDAPhoneHome isn't a direct support organization under any contracts with any carriers. I do appreciate the exposure that we are given when the carriers refer customers here. However, it is very important that the folks are sent here with an explanation that this is a "community". When a new person comes in, they need to join the community and work with their peer users here to find a solution. They can't come strolling in, announce a problem, and expect someone to be sitting here waiting to fix their problem.

If you are sent here for help, register and then introduce yourself. Do a review of recent threads for your PDAPhone, and do some searches in that forum on keywords related to your problem. If you don't find anything, then ask for help... but understand that the more you do to explain your situation clearly, the greater your chance of success in finding help. Since those people helping you are not being paid to do so, they are not going to kill themselves to dig for information. Provide a good overview of the problem with all the information you know... and be patient.

I go into other forums as a "newbie" all the time and using this technique I've been successful at getting help fairly quickly on subjects that are fairly new to me. You just have to do a little leg work and remember that it is a "community"... so make yourself a part of it.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Mike, Great explanation of the PDAPhoneHome.com community. I have also been told by local reps at Verizon about this site, but mostly because I told their manager about it a long time ago, since he had the i600 when I did. They explained that they might be able to find answers here, and that it was a wealth of information. I had to laugh when they told me about it....

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    It does give you a chuckle doesn't it... maybe one day they'll come in and give us a large sum of money to actually support their users!
    Mike - Been Converged?