+ Reply to Thread

Who hates Verizon... I do.... Do you.

Here is why you absolutely should hate Verizon:
    1. They Lock the heck of your phone. My friend has a Rzr from Cingluar, and using a Cheap software you can hook it up to your PC and then Download all pics and contacts, and so on. Even you can do that through BT. With my Wife's Rzs, no luck. They Locked it. No way to connect BT and no way to connect with the USB port. To get the Pics, Verizon wants to charge .25 cents per Picture sent. So you are doomed...
    2. This actually goes to ALL VZ phone. They lock everything. And disable a lot of the BT (Bluetooth) functionality. For example I have a PDA/Smart phone. I can NOT use it as a modem if I am with VZ. If you have cingular or T Mobile you can.
    3. Internet Unlimited Data Plan is 45 from Vz,and 40 from Cing. and again they lock you and limit you to the PDA device only.
    4. Vz, phones, are NOT usable anywhere else in the world, where most countries have GSM networks, therefor if you have Cingular, you could take your phone with you on your trip, and reprogram it and use, in most countries. (Which is important to me. )
    5. SIM cards are a great invention. Every time I had a new phone from Vz, I had to reprogram my contacts, and Calender (Unless your using a Smart phone and you sync with your PC). With SIM cards, you can just move your card with any phone and your data is there.
    6. Cingular has Role Overs.....Great concept. Ah.... what can I say.
    I am just kicking myself, for getting stuck with them all this time. Can't wait till my contract is done, to say good bye to those .....******
    I am sure If I thought more there would more to comment on, but

You are right to be upset with how Verizon locks down their phones. I don't like how they do that either and believe that they will be forced to stop that business practice as the other networks build get more creative and put their transceivers in new locations.

In my area, they have the best network coverage. That is their advantage. it doesn't matter if another company lets you have unlimited minutes for $40 or unlimited data for $10 if you can't use it. Keep this in mind before you change.

And before you ask, I don't work, nor have I ever worked, for verizon. I started out with contel which became GTE which became Verizon. I switched to Nextel when they first came out in our area, allowed for their buildout to "complete" and left when I had too many dead spots they said they wouldn't be able to fix in the near future. I then went to Suncom which became Cingular (I was gone by then). I had the same problem with dead spots and didn't like how they worded their contracts (1 year contract that automatically renewed in 1 year increments that could only be cancelled with 30 days written notice).

The other advantage Verizon has Sprint shares. EVDO is a better technology than EDGE. Some can disagree with that, but from what I've studied about it, it's better and will continue to be as it works its way through rev a, b, and c. I like fast data.
    It's working for me, there must not be anything wrong!

@sam5721,
    You are certainly entitled to your opinions and are welcome to share them, but some of your statemetns are not completely accurate.

If you have a PDA phone you can email pcitures all day without any extra charges by attaching them to an email. That might not help if the other party has a "regular" phone, but that's how I do it.

You can use your PDA/phone as a modem tethered to your computer. You have to have VZW add the feature to your account.

There are one or two (granted, not many) phones that are useable overseas. They are combination CDMA/GSM phones made for just that purpose.

Rollover minutes--yes, Cingular is the only one that does that. Shouldn't that be held againt all the other carriers and not just VZW?
    BTW, I think we have to start calling them AT&T starting today.
    Motorola Q, WM5 -- Verizon Wireless, U.S.A.

That's the beauty of our capitalist society - we can choose with our wallets. I think everythng depends on your needs. I personally would love for Verizon to be using GSM/UMTS/HSPDA technology and be able to share devices with other networks. I would also love for them to return their handsets to the specs they were designed with - unlimited bluetooth, open data exchange, etc. The only way they will change is if customers leave and it becomes financially advisable to change to meet demand.

sam5721, all of the points you mention are valid, to some degree. But just because I prefer Cingular doesn't mean I hate Verizon, I simply choose their technology and coverage over the competition. Hate is such a strong word.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jpmihalk
    sam5721, all of the points you mention are valid, to some degree. But just because I prefer Cingular doesn't mean I hate Verizon, I simply choose their technology and coverage over the competition. Hate is such a strong word.
    Well said.
    Motorola Q, WM5 -- Verizon Wireless, U.S.A.

You think thats bad try alltel. Sure they are great and all when it comes to just a basic phone plans. But when you want to add some extra stuff HELLO FEES!!! Im getting a ppc 6700. And just to enable internet in my area is 10$ a month. Coast to coast 29.99. For unlimited data 59.99. Unlimited text 19.99 and that unlimited text include enabled internet for any regular phone and you cant use it for your smart phone. No sim cards. I pay for video and pic messaging. It doesnt work i cant recieve or send them. But I guess they do not lock your phone. Id take verizon in a heart beat over alltel. But would really like T mobile they have the most fairest plans when it comes to pda's/smartphones probably due to the sidekicks.

Well said, I agree with you all. I think hate is a strong word. I like Vz coverage. Rarely had problems with it, before I had Sprint and boy that sucked. But day after day, I am getting to learn more about those little things, that could make a big difference in our lives.
    Good News, from Engadget "Verizon increases SMS rates -- customers now free of their contracts"
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/12/verizon-increases-sms-rates-customers-now-free-of-their-contr/
    Oh , I should have waited and got out of my contract before buying a new phone.
    Last edited by sam5271; 01-14-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sam5271
    Here is why you absolutely should hate Verizon:
    1. They Lock the heck of your phone. My friend has a Rzr from Cingluar, and using a Cheap software you can hook it up to your PC and then Download all pics and contacts, and so on. Even you can do that through BT. With my Wife's Rzs, no luck. They Locked it. No way to connect BT and no way to connect with the USB port. To get the Pics, Verizon wants to charge .25 cents per Picture sent. So you are doomed...
    2. This actually goes to ALL VZ phone. They lock everything. And disable a lot of the BT (Bluetooth) functionality. For example I have a PDA/Smart phone. I can NOT use it as a modem if I am with VZ. If you have cingular or T Mobile you can.
    3. Internet Unlimited Data Plan is 45 from Vz,and 40 from Cing. and again they lock you and limit you to the PDA device only.
    4. Vz, phones, are NOT usable anywhere else in the world, where most countries have GSM networks, therefor if you have Cingular, you could take your phone with you on your trip, and reprogram it and use, in most countries. (Which is important to me. )
    5. SIM cards are a great invention. Every time I had a new phone from Vz, I had to reprogram my contacts, and Calender (Unless your using a Smart phone and you sync with your PC). With SIM cards, you can just move your card with any phone and your data is there.
    6. Cingular has Role Overs.....Great concept. Ah.... what can I say.
    I am just kicking myself, for getting stuck with them all this time. Can't wait till my contract is done, to say good bye to those .....******
    I am sure If I thought more there would more to comment on, but
    1) most phones are locked but the PDA phones can be hacked.. which I have mine hacked (6700) and I can do everything from using bluetooth headphones to bluetooth transfers and even dial up modem through USB and bluetooth.

2) yeah that's how Verizon makes money.. they disable majority of transfers so you're forced to send pics and stuff via text messages and pix messages. However most of the phones now come with microSD which can be put on your phone and using a card reader, you can copy files to and from your PC.
    (that's what I do with my gf's Krzr)
    3)of course Verizon is the most expensive of all the carriers, but you get what you pay for.. great coverage, high speed EVDO, reliable network.. etc..

4) the only place Verizon is not useable is Europe. I was able to go to the Caribbeans and even to Taiwan with my phone and have it, albeit roaming but usable

5) yeah I wish CDMA phones would have something like a SIM card so it would be easy to swap phones and bring over your contacts and stuff...

6) Rollover is great.. but I dont usually go over my minutes to need any extra..

Sorry to hear that you have such a crappy experience with Verizon.. I've had them for about 4 years now and although very pricey.. it's been a very reliable and satisfactory experience with both phone and data service

I do have to say that Verizon (as well as all CDMA carriers) have such a crappy selection of phones. The GSM phones are far more advanced (see Japan) than the CDMA phones..
    Last edited by supadoggie; 01-23-2007 at 06:13 PM.

Before I make this general comment; I do realize that this isn't how everyone in the US feels. But I'm sure this sentiment reflects most of the Verizon customers. Verizon is the best cell service in the US and albeit a few snags as too how it handles the locking out of features; I think the #1 thing that Verizon customers hate is the lack of great phones and how slowly new ones are rolled out. I like most don't really care how much I have to pay for my monthly service just as long as I can be free to do what I want with it, AND have phones/PDA's that offer the latest in technology and features. Verizon sucks in that regard; but their service is bar none better than Sprint or Cingular.

For the razr try this page
    http://hacktherazr.com/

Also, for any other verizon phone try bitpim.
    http://www.bitpim.org/
    I can get my pictures and what not off using an SD card, but bitpim let me put ringtones and such for free onto the phone.

Try ##feature send and see if a menu comes up. If it asks for a code enter 000000
    You can enable quite a few things if this code works.

#3 you are talking 5$ difference/month. So Cingular finally deployed hspda but it isn't nearly as widespread as EVDO.

#4 Are you willing to pay $1.50/minute just to use the same number? Otherwise go buy a cheap unlocked GSM phone and get a pre-paid sim card when you get to the country you are visiting. Or you could rent a GSM phone from Verizon/Vodaphone too.

#5 Sim cards are a really good idea. ESN swapping is a pain and you are right, no data carry-over. Of course depending on phone you could get varied results when using a Sim card for your data/contacts

#6 Rollover is a good concept but I don't use all my minutes due to night/weekend and Verizon to Verizon calling so I don't sweat that much.

That being said, verizon is one of the most restrictive carriers out there. Its just that most of the time I am in the US and I need good data and voice coverage. That is where Verizon excels and without voice/data your phone is merely an expensive paperweight. YMMV.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2