+ Reply to Thread
    Über-converged

XDA developers: tear down those roms!

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...0205f2ac41bacb
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=294142
    "Ofcourse one can disagree over the severity of the problems caused by the availability of the images versus the impact to our community of simply removing everything. But at this point, we have no other option then to take down any and all ROM images that contain a Microsoft OS, although we still feel strongly this is a disservice not just to our own users but also to the larger community of mobile device developers and enthousiasts. But at the end of the day this is Microsoft's software and legally speaking, they are within their right to ask us to remove it. And even if there were legal ways to challenge this, we certainly do not feel like a protracted legal fight with Microsoft. They can probably afford more lawyers than we can."
    Hopefully the windows update feature on WM6 will allow us to keep our OS's up to date just like we can with our PCs. Can the windows update program actually update the AKU of the OS, or will it be superficial updates?

Also, while many will undoubtedly curse MS, there are some things to keep in mind. I too think they've made the wrong decision, but it is not driven by evil.

Quote Originally Posted by sk0t
    I honestly don't think Microsoft is the bad guy here. They are likely in their legal right, but I think they're just the messenger.

Rather, I'm of the belief that HTC is likely behind it. They lose money for each of us that doesn't upgrade our devices because we as a community found a way to make happen what we needed to happen.

I mean, when you look at HTC's track record with trying to circumvent the hacking of our devices. The G3 and G4 chips in the Wizards. The boot loader on the Hermes. And I'm sure a variety of other little things here and there on the other devices.

Then again, there are the idiots trying to get support on devices with ROM's that aren't an official released ROM.

Microsoft isn't trying protect itself. They made the damn WM software. They're trying to protect their relationships with manufacturers and carriers of the products. As usual, screw the customer, one way or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot
    Come on guys, cut Microsoft some slack here. I'd like to point out a few things:

1. They are perfectly within their rights to do this and are MUCH nicer than Apple who usually say "You are tEH sued! We're 1337 and will see you in court! Take your site down immediately!". Microsoft bent over backwards in their reply and stated their reasons clearly.

2. They've looked the other way for years and everyone should be appreciative of that.

3. Thanks to engadget & digg, everyone and their brother has descended on this site because of the 'iphone skin' and 'wm6 beta roms' so in a way, the site was a victim of its own success due to all the publicity. Microsoft HAD to act.

4. Idiots bricking their phones (see #3) are now walking into Cingular & Tmo stores & crying a river because their 'cooked rom' screwed their phone up.

In short, my respect for Microsoft went UP because of this and while I have benefited for years from the ROMs & stuff on this site and I really HATE to see the ROMs go, I'm amazed the ride has lasted this long. Now its back to the world of dodgy sites hosting 'underground' ROMs.
    Last edited by JKingGrim; 02-14-2007 at 07:16 PM.
    Palm IIIe > Palm IIIxe > Zire71 + Samsung a660 > PPC-6700 > Sprint PPC-6800 Mogul
    Help make your wireless company fair

It is sad, sad day. It won't completely stop the custom ROMs, but they will be harder to find and also the tools / instructions won't be as readily available either. And I was just getting started with all of this goodness.

Über-converged
    I agree that it will not stop the ROMs. Thats one reason why I think MS made the wrong choice. People will still be able to get the ROMs through other channels, but now instructions on how to do it right will be harder to find. More people will ruin their devices.
    Palm IIIe > Palm IIIxe > Zire71 + Samsung a660 > PPC-6700 > Sprint PPC-6800 Mogul
    Help make your wireless company fair