+ Reply to Thread

6700 is HUGE - really?

I'm always amazed at how we as humans are so hard to please. Take for example my xv6700. I love this unit. very stable - can do just about anything. It's a nice small size, without sacrificing much functionality. Not to say it doesn't have it's shortcomings, but we've come so far. And I hear people bash this unit - I actually read today someone imply the only way this phone could be any bigger is to put a mast and sail on it. I remember my Dell Axim being called a brick; people wanted convergence and the Audiovox 6600 comes alone and was called a brick, but it did twice as much. Now the 6700 comes along, much smaller and does more still, and I hear it referred to as huge! whatever. My arm is soo tired after holding it up after 2 minutes!

I agree - encourage better products, but there is a fine line, IMHO.

Am I alone here?

Sure I would like a smaller PPC phone that does more, but I agree with you that the PPC6700 was (and still is) a fantastic PDA phone. I think some people have unrealistic expectations for the cell phone industry. Only a few years ago the very first PPC phones were coming out--now those were poorly functioning bricks. The PPC6700 is a dream in comparison. The 6800 will be even better, and on and on we go. Next year at this time we'll all be talking about the next biggest thing.

But IMHO the PPC6700 has been one of the best bang-for-the-buck phones ever released. There is very little that this thing can't do.

Administrator
    compare this to the hitachi G or IBM Simon... THOSE are huges smartphones... but in order to have desktop like performance out of a handheld phone device, you have to have a certain size screen and a battery to run it. i dont want a tiny phone with a tiny ass screen. i was upset when the 6700 was released as i was used to the large screen on the hitachi and 660x before. the 6700 screen i have to use glasses.. which is not good. id much rather have a big device with a big screen............

Just curious as to why this was moved? Directly applies to the 6700 pda phone.

Totally agree Re 6700. And it constantly surprises with new functions. Like today when I discovered that I could PageBull with it, but only under Opera Mini. Runnicle

I actually agree here- I'm not a fan of the thickness of the 6700- but I love the size of my 6600! I like the big screen (wish it were VGA though)

For the full functionality of a true converged-device... it must be big! I'm not in the market for any little "smartphone" - I like being able to watch movies- surf the web- utilize GPS- these things require a big screen.

I wish they still made PDAphones with screens the size of the 6600 and i don't think I'm alone here- look at the new HTC Athena (or whatever it's titled)

I love my 6700. Does everything I need it to do and then some.

I used to bash it, but only in private. With the release of cooked 3.3 and 3.5 ROMS however I have not bad mouthed my 6700 for sometime...and I feel a more positive energy coming from her now

I don't think I could ever go back to a Treo style SmartPhone with a tiny keyboard and a tiny screen.
    Bryan

"I'm not going anywhere NEAR that sabertooth snatch of yours." - Dr. Christian Troy