+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar

Why Equus left VZW for the iPhone.

Equus,

Can we continue the discusion of cell service providers hacking up what could be good devices to support their corporate needs?

Thanks

Mark

He's too busy playing with his new fling.....er.....phone! Good thing there isn't a removable battery---he's going to have to let it charge sometime!
    Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    Equus,

Can we continue the discusion of cell service providers hacking up what could be good devices to support their corporate needs?

Thanks

Mark
    sure Mark I will try to be as candid as possible
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Quote Originally Posted by mwfielder View Post
    He's too busy playing with his new fling.....er.....phone! Good thing there isn't a removable battery---he's going to have to let it charge sometime!
    well since the battery seems tp mimick that bunny commercial i might be in the play pen for a while
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Equus,

Why don’t you start with your overall impression of VZW and we all will chime in.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Equus,

Why don’t you start with your overall impression of VZW and we all will chime in.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    wow, loaded question?......umm,
    I guess I expected more from a company that has claimed to be the Best Network provider. Did they have to disable all the neat things a device can do? NO
    IF only they touted the cool things that these devices can do I am sure they would sell more units.
    IF they listen to the members here who TRULY are "power users" and heed their true requirements, they could have had the best advertisement for 0$ investment.
    Can you hear me now?.........I suppose the show is on the other foot now !!!
    I for one will not recommend VZW to my family and friends who want to get into PDA devices. Why spend that kind of money and have most of the services locked down.
    Vcast?.....BREW, java I can go on and on, GUI's things I liked to personalise my PDA, ringtones, BT operations, tethering and not to mention the "LIMITED unlimited data"
    NOW, that said the pricing on their plans>>>> who the heck do they hire to be number crunchers? have these people ever used a cell phone in their life? have they checked their demographic map on average income of a PDA owner? ITS NOT THE BUSINESS guy who surfs the frigging net, its poor folks like us who do, the techy guys, the geeks and me the dummy.
    I am saving $50 a month with AT&T with 2000 minutes and unlimited data for ONLY $20 extra. $119.99 and $20 for umlimited texting and Data. For the same I was paying 190.00 with VZW. Mind you, my company is with $print and I was the ONLY employee using VZW for 10 years and I HAD to pay for my bills as they refused to pay it since I am with a different carrier (company rules which I understand) I had my company switch to VZW two years ago (850 emplyees on site) with 350 i730's deployed>>>>VZW screwed our company and then we switched back to Sprint. I still stayed on being loyal to them as they had me in their so-called Beta tester program. I got an egg on my face from our IT dept for recommending VZW to my company after we got screwed. I will post later and
    PLEASE DONOT MAKE THIS THREAD A VZW BASHER.
    these are only my personal opinions and pdahonehome and or its affiliates are not to be held responsible for my actions and replies.
    I still am doing stuff for VZW, so go figure. why?........you all know why

Equus,

I was an AT&T wireless customer for years (befroe the Cingular re-branding) before then I had one of the 1st MOTO trunk phones.

I left ATT & swtiched to VZW for exactly the reason I am thinking of leaving VZW now for another carrier. The lack of decent equipment and no knowledge of the devices they sell.

Tried the 8830 spent 10-12 hours over 7 days with VZW and BB tech support couldn't get the darn thing to sync all of my contacts.

I guess I am gun shy about going back to ATT. I know none of he carriers is perfect but it seems everyone's business model leans away from the 'power users'.

Are you stall as happy with your switch to the iphone?
    XV6700/LG 6100

Quote Originally Posted by asrassoc View Post
    Equus,

I was an AT&T wireless customer for years (befroe the Cingular re-branding) before then I had one of the 1st MOTO trunk phones.

I left ATT & swtiched to VZW for exactly the reason I am thinking of leaving VZW now for another carrier. The lack of decent equipment and no knowledge of the devices they sell.

Tried the 8830 spent 10-12 hours over 7 days with VZW and BB tech support couldn't get the darn thing to sync all of my contacts.

I guess I am gun shy about going back to ATT. I know none of he carriers is perfect but it seems everyone's business model leans away from the 'power users'.

Are you still as happy with your switch to the iphone?
    yes I am happy about the switch. Do carriers have problems? you bet they do........is any one carrier perfect? that will be the tag line on my tombstone
    what I miss is this>>>
    constant resets
    do a hard reset cause I screwed something up while trying "new fancy" software
    backing up the i730 on a "special sd card" and keep it in the bank safe deposit vault
    swapping batteries
    most of all the awesome members in the PPC forums......my family here

Equus..
    I'm sure you're bound by the NDA currently.. but will you be able to tell us what they crippled on the i760? What was it that made it a worthy upgrade to the i730? Cause on paper it looks like only an incremental upgrade... nothing major IMO...

I've been with VZW since it was Airtouch in my neck of the woods and I've seen it go round and round... Somethings are good somethings are awful. But through it all they never seemed like they new how to Market to the PDA crowd. Power Business users that is. And thier pricing plans suck compared to everyone else... At first it was an easy choice to go with VZW if you needed good coverage (in most markets). but that all is changing as other carriers are improving their networks. I probably would have switched long ago if I hadn't happened upon a plan that I haven't seen equaled since (1500min/mo 39.99).. Alas for now choosing a carrier seems to be more picking the lessor of three evils instead of the looking at the relative merits of each!
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    Equus..
    I'm sure you're bound by the NDA currently.. but will you be able to tell us what they crippled on the i760? What was it that made it a worthy upgrade to the i730? Cause on paper it looks like only an incremental upgrade... nothing major IMO...

I've been with VZW since it was Airtouch in my neck of the woods and I've seen it go round and round... Somethings are good somethings are awful. But through it all they never seemed like they new how to Market to the PDA crowd. Power Business users that is. And thier pricing plans suck compared to everyone else... At first it was an easy choice to go with VZW if you needed good coverage (in most markets). but that all is changing as other carriers are improving their networks. I probably would have switched long ago if I hadn't happened upon a plan that I haven't seen equaled since (1500min/mo 39.99).. Alas for now choosing a carrier seems to be more picking the lessor of three evils instead of the looking at the relative merits of each!
    Mark
    Mark I still have 4 months left on the NDA and am so sorry I cannot say too much yet. NO BT transfer capability, NO A2DP yet, OBEX is extinct.........so how much can you neuter a device. As far as major improvements on i760, I personally don't find it that attractive. At least there was a major change from i700 to i730 which was awesome, but with this it is not that mind blowing. You have all seen or played with the Mogul already and it aint that much different. Except that the build quality is a little better and feels more expensive rather than "plasticy" Software aint that powerful as all the hype we have known or heard about WM6. I still don't think a real IT guy would be comfortable with it. Its so time consuming to set up a good business email push, still convouluted way of doing things. I think BB has got that right......all this push email stuff is still so buggy with MS. you would think by now MS would have their act together but Nooooooooo we still have to futz around with tweaks to make things work. Out of the box nothing works till you go in to set up syncing with servers and encryption and all that crap. Its just way too much work for IT guys. Yet, whenever it comes out the i760 will have that new smell and feel and we all will go into another frenzy to "power-tweak" it and life goes on. IMHO, VZW is just way too expensive for the same service others are giving. I notice now that AT&T has really improved the call quality and speeds and to be honest and fair so far for the past 7 days I have NOT had one call dropped yet. People on the other end donot even notice I have changed carriers and line quality has been no difference. I don't know yet, as to will this service go south on me, maybe yes, maybe not. Time will tell. Hey, I know I am saving $65 a month

Equus, is your NDA up yet?

Mark

Equus, is your NDA up yet?

Mark
    Not yet, Mark. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by equus View Post
    Not yet, Mark. Sorry.

Two quesitons:
    1. When will it be up?
    2. Will you post your thoughts here?

First sentence of post #10 indicates s/he has four more months under the NDA.

pat----
    Last edited by psklenar; 07-24-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Is that NDA from MS or Apple? Sorry I'm a relatively recent converged user. Resistance was useless!

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
    Is that NDA from MS or Apple? Sorry I'm a relatively recent converged user. Resistance was useless!
    That's VZW.

FWIW, most NDA's "expire" once the product itself is released. Is this the case with your's equus? It would be nice to have you accumulated knowledge available at that point, rather than having the rest of us smucks regenerate that knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by John_k View Post
    FWIW, most NDA's "expire" once the product itself is released. Is this the case with your's equus? It would be nice to have you accumulated knowledge available at that point, rather than having the rest of us smucks regenerate that knowledge.
    Yes you are right its null and void once the product goes "retail". But oonce the product is sold and the power users here get their hands on it you really DONOT need my feedback But I will chime in here as soon as that happens and let you all know what it took for some of us testers to get a stable unit going. I will pass that info to MR asap so he can compile that in a good format for members here.

Quote Originally Posted by equus View Post
    Yes you are right its null and void once the product goes "retail". But oonce the product is sold and the power users here get their hands on it you really DONOT need my feedback But I will chime in here as soon as that happens and let you all know what it took for some of us testers to get a stable unit going. I will pass that info to MR asap so he can compile that in a good format for members here.
    Great!

That's what I was looking for.
    And I will not go right out and buy this until I have seen and read your comments.

Mark

I just want to keep this thread close to the top as the i760 will be released the end of Sept (week of 24 I hope) and I am waiting to here Equus's comments.