+ Reply to Thread

Help Save Net Radio

On March 2, 2007 the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB), which oversees sound recording royalties paid by Internet radio services, increased Internet radio's royalty burden between 300 and 1200 percent and thereby jeopardized the industry’s future.

At the request of the Recording Industry Association of America, the CRB ignored the fact that Internet radio royalties were already double what satellite radio pays, and multiplied the royalties even further. The 2005 royalty rate was 7/100 of a penny per song streamed; the 2010 rate will be 19/100 of a penny per song streamed. And for small webcasters that were able to calculate royalties as a percentage of revenue in 2005 – that option was quashed by the CRB, so small webcasters’ royalties will grow exponentially!

Savenetradio.org

I've already e-mailed both of my senators and my congresswoman. I stream Shoutcast on my Mogul all day long at work and I will be very disappointed if internet radio goes away. I think it's absurd what they're trying to do with the royalties. I can understand the royalty system being a little different than broadcast radio since net radio is worldwide, but not to this extent. I really hope they can work something out.

I concur! i work for the govt and the only way for me to listen to music at work is via my phone. A federal job with no entertainment?? jeez, all i'll have left to do is sit on my butt all day...