+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

i760 is Antiquated.. What NEW PHONE is NEXT?

Ok...I should be getting my i760 tomorrow, but I played with a friend of mine's yesterday. I told VZW if they didn't give it to me at the $99 rate, I didn't want it since it is not much of an upgrade and I HATE HATE HATE the horrizontal keyboard. At $99 (and maybe a $50 rebate), if I can't get used to it, it'll go on eBay!

But WHAT'S NEXT? What new phones are coming out (besides the 6800). I haven't even seen rumors of anything else. VZW released these phones (which aside from the newer operating system, seem to be at least a year behind the times). I really wanted the SGH-i760, but it's not CDMA (or even released in this country).

COME ON GUYS!! WHAT IS THE NEXT BEST THING?!?

-Jared
    (Keeping 5 steps ahead of the Jones's).

ok, i'll bite. I think you're off. Antiquated? hardly. I know you are simply trying to push buttons to get a response, but the newest PDA is tilt from ATT, that also runs on WM6 and has the same exact screen as our i760. So, the next best thing, is actually our i760. it's a pretty amazing phone, specially for those who want to use it as a phone as well as a PDA. the separate numeric keypad is simply brilliant. I would say this phone is perfect for a guy like me, who uses his cell as his primary phone. many use a regular cell phone in addition to a PDA, the i760 is an excellent cell phone as well.

Antiquated? hardly. Smartly designed phone and PDA? you bet... S

Mobile enabled - on the road
    I have to agree with you SHIVA. From someone who owns a Tilt as well as the i760 (finally), I really prefer the i760. I love having a touchscreen, but I really hate having to tap on the screen to dial.

As you said, the seperate numeric keypad is "simply brilliant"!
    YOU can't get there from here...but I can!

As a former Verizon customer of 8 years, who just disconnected service a week ago, I can say that the iphone is worth every good word about it. I eagerly awaited the i760 with everyone else on the board. For months and months I anticipated the release dates. Even after the release of the iphone in June, I stayed with Verizon, hoping they would do SOMETHING to compete. Their response was the VX10000. Although neat for the average user, it's not a PDA. So, after seeing the details of the i760, I decided just like the creater of this thread, that the i760 wasn't anything amazing. I took the leap and jumped to AT&T and the iPhone. I have no regrets. And this is in an area where Verizon has a death grip on the market. I am the ONLY AT&T user that I know! But the iPhone is worth it. I have never been so impressed with the design of a single gadget. The thing is incredible and so user-friendly. Always-on internet and seamless wireless integration is impeccible. And now they are opening an SDK for application development. That's just incredible. I would love to have copy/paste, but maybe they'll give it to me some day! Other than that, it's just amazing. Verizon only offers 1x data in my area, and it's STILL $45/month, so the EDGE data is just fine with me, and it hops on wifi whereever I go, so most of the time I'm at full speed. If any of you are waivering on whether to ditch Verizon, do it. They aren't coming out with anything innovative in the near future. The next thing is already here. Stop fighting it and just get the iphone! Oh, and I'm a die-hard Windows user. I'm not switching to Mac anytime soon! The iphone works flawlessly with XP and Vista. Want something even newer? They're working on the iphone 2!

Bill

the iphone is not a ppc...so to compare the two is ridiculous.

I moved this thread to the lounge since you want information not related to the i760, and that way more people from all of the different forums can chime in...

Mobile enabled - on the road
    Quote Originally Posted by pwiddy View Post
    Exactly. I have used an iPhone as well. While the interface is a wonder of innovation, I really didn't want to have to enter all of my Outlook contacts and calendar information in iTunes. I carried it while traveling around the country on business for over 2 months, and the call quality/reception was very annoying to say the least.

Browsing the net and using it as an iPod was great though.
    YOU can't get there from here...but I can!

Soo...no one has answered my question!

WHAT IS THE NEXT NEW PHONE TO COME OUT?!?

AT&T has the Tilt which is significantly more advanced than the i760...

Why did VZW stear Samsung away from the verticle keyboard?!? The new Blackberry 8830 is one of the hottest selling devices out there now. This keyboard is a pain in the @ss!!!

We've waited nearly 2 years for the i760...but what's next on the horizon...Technology is supposed to be progressing FASTER and FASTER!

Forever Confused
    Quote Originally Posted by pwiddy View Post

Very true. But niether is a Treo. They are PDAs.

I just never could figure out why some find the i760 so great. As the OP said, it is really lack-luster. It does have the least amount of storage space of all the newer PDAs. It doesn't have an IR port (but neither does the tilt). And what is the real advantage of having the number pad on the front of it? I don't care for the side slide that all the phones have now, but that's the way they are going.

The Samsung F700 coming to Verizon, where they say it is the network.
    CG Exclusive: Samsung F700-variant coming to Verizon

THANK YOU!!! That F700 is pretty cool looking. I guess I can expect to see that on VZW shelves in a lightening fast 2-3 Years!!!

The artical says that they are looking at it being out by the end of the year, though they did not specify which year. I like the look, but am extremely happy with the I760 after having had palm for the last couple of years. I wonder if it will be a PDA or just an IPhone wanna-be.
    Hammer70

EVERYTHING is an iphone wannabe! Who wouldn't want to be the iphone? I mean, all these phones coming out are all "iphone killers" and yet the iphone is still trotting along with no real competition. I even switched carriers to get to the iphone, and haven't regretted the move once. It's an amazing piece of technology.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer70 View Post
    The artical says that they are looking at it being out by the end of the year, though they did not specify which year. I like the look, but am extremely happy with the I760 after having had palm for the last couple of years. I wonder if it will be a PDA or just an IPhone wanna-be.
    Hammer70
    I hope it's a PDA device, otherwise I'm steering clear of it. I have business to do. I'll leave iPhones to the children.

Quote Originally Posted by drdeathnl3 View Post
    Ok...I should be getting my i760 tomorrow, but I played with a friend of mine's yesterday. I told VZW if they didn't give it to me at the $99 rate, I didn't want it since it is not much of an upgrade and I HATE HATE HATE the horrizontal keyboard. At $99 (and maybe a $50 rebate), if I can't get used to it, it'll go on eBay!

But WHAT'S NEXT? What new phones are coming out (besides the 6800). I haven't even seen rumors of anything else. VZW released these phones (which aside from the newer operating system, seem to be at least a year behind the times). I really wanted the SGH-i760, but it's not CDMA (or even released in this country).

COME ON GUYS!! WHAT IS THE NEXT BEST THING?!?

-Jared
    (Keeping 5 steps ahead of the Jones's).

Aparrently several GSM dealers have been confiriming the NICE 3G (HSDPA) 2MP camera+VGA webcam, SGH-i760 with the vertical QWERTY is being released If you find my old thread on it "the SGH-i760 (not SCH) ie the good one" you can get the updates I have found. If you call the contacts I list there this or next week they should know more. Just make sure you leave your info with them so they can contact you when it comes in if you still want it. Leaving your info for the device will show them there is demand for it (besides from the 100+ orders they have gotten for the SGH-i760 already). Anyone else who is interested in the phone I'd highly suggest leaving your information with those two shops and or local GSM shops around you who know which phone that is.

Alsao I've been chatting with the guy from pdadb.com said he knows the sales manager at Popular Electronics and said he'd follow up with him to see when it's coming back in.
    Make some nice money from home:
    http://www.tvtravelbiz.com/ds9916

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick_7 View Post
    Aparrently several GSM dealers have been confiriming the NICE 3G (HSDPA) 2MP camera+VGA webcam, SGH-i760 with the vertical QWERTY is being released If you find my old thread on it "the SGH-i760 (not SCH) ie the good one" you can get the updates I have found. If you call the contacts I list there this or next week they should know more. Just make sure you leave your info with them so they can contact you when it comes in if you still want it. Leaving your info for the device will show them there is demand for it (besides from the 100+ orders they have gotten for the SGH-i760 already). Anyone else who is interested in the phone I'd highly suggest leaving your information with those two shops and or local GSM shops around you who know which phone that is.

Alsao I've been chatting with the guy from pdadb.com said he knows the sales manager at Popular Electronics and said he'd follow up with him to see when it's coming back in.
    To my understanding, this phone isn't being released to Verizon users.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVA View Post
    ok, i'll bite. I think you're off. Antiquated? hardly. I know you are simply trying to push buttons to get a response, but the newest PDA is tilt from ATT, that also runs on WM6 and has the same exact screen as our i760. So, the next best thing, is actually our i760. it's a pretty amazing phone, specially for those who want to use it as a phone as well as a PDA. the separate numeric keypad is simply brilliant. I would say this phone is perfect for a guy like me, who uses his cell as his primary phone. many use a regular cell phone in addition to a PDA, the i760 is an excellent cell phone as well.

Antiquated? hardly. Smartly designed phone and PDA? you bet... S
    Im glad its fullfilling your needs but if you look at it as an upgrade I think it's just an incorrect label. I think it's more so a slight enhancement, though there are things in it that bug me just like it does drdeath. Though the front keypad is kinda cool, the fact that it has WM6, is more stable (aparrently), and has a better performing processor..these are good things..but not radical or something I would call an "upgrade"...For one, I find the horizontal keyboard a step backwards because it takes away full one handedness which I LOVE on the i730, the screen is just weird (squishy...?? If I wanted an aquarium Id buy fish too), it DOESNT have 3G (what is up with that!?), doesn't have built in SDHC support, has a camera of lower mp resolution than most phones that have been released, seems to have a flimsier build than the i730, doesn't come with accessories it should come with, is ugly, you're stuck with Verizon for another 1-2 years...:/

The SGH-i760 I think can be called an upgrade for the reasons that it has better specs even in terms of hardware and not just form factor. The fact that it has 3G (HSDPA) internet speed support I think alone makes it an upgrade, but it also keeps the fantastic vertical one handed QWERTY which I happen to love, has the i730 form factor but is just about the same size (thin wise) as the SCH-i760, it has a standard 2PM camera, as well as a front facing VGA webcam, has a newer processor like the SCH has, has no antenna as well, you don't have top deal with Verizon ( but At&t, TMobile, or other GSM companies) and is beautiful! I really hope the SGH-i760 has been released because I want it pretty bad.

Check here for the latest info on the SGH-i760:

SGH-i760, not SCH, ie the good i760:) Question..
    Last edited by Dominick_7; 11-19-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drdeathnl3 View Post
    THANK YOU!!! That F700 is pretty cool looking. I guess I can expect to see that on VZW shelves in a lightening fast 2-3 Years!!!
    Lol. Yea and it has the amazing horizontal keyboard like all the other HTC wannabees out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick_7 View Post
    Im glad its fullfilling your needs but if you look at it as an upgrade I think it's just an incorrect label. I think it's more so a slight enhancement, though there are things in it that bug me just like it does drdeath. Though the front keypad is kinda cool, the fact that it has WM6, is more stable (aparrently), and has a better performing processor..these are good things..but not radical or something I would call an "upgrade"...For one, I find the horizontal keyboard a step backwards because it takes away full one handedness which I LOVE on the i730, the screen is just weird (squishy...?? If I wanted an aquarium Id buy fish too), it DOESNT have 3G (what is up with that!?), doesn't have built in SDHC support, has a camera of lower mp resolution than most phones that have been released, seems to have a flimsier build than the i730, doesn't come with accessories it should come with, is ugly, you're stuck with Verizon for another 1-2 years...:/

The SGH-i760 I think can be called an upgrade for the reasons that it has better specs even in terms of hardware and not just form factor. The fact that it has 3G (HSDPA) internet speed support I think alone makes it an upgrade, but it also keeps the fantastic vertical one handed QWERTY which I happen to love, has the i730 form factor but is just about the same size (thin wise) as the SCH-i760, it has a standard 2PM camera, as well as a front facing VGA webcam, has a newer processor like the SCH has, has no antenna as well, you don't have top deal with Verizon ( but At&t, TMobile, or other GSM companies) and is beautiful! I really hope the SGH-i760 has been released because I want it pretty bad.

Check here for the latest info on the SGH-i760:

SGH-i760, not SCH, ie the good i760:) Question..
    Dominic,

You can't be serious? Out of everything you named, it boiled down to a personal preference: one handed use. Everything else you named, lets discuss it: the SGH IS NOT 3G. And as for the camera... you get .7 more megapixels. Big deal. 1.3 takes GREAT shots. So how does .7 more pixels put you in the elite club of camera phones now? That's laughable.

You make all this noise about the SCH not being an upgrade...

Ooooookay....

Enjoy your phone because that was a failed attempt at making SCH users feel inadequate. Brighthands lists the SCH at the most popular phone at #1. Phones like the iPhone? #6 Buddy. SCH isn't popular for no reason.

PDA and SmartPhone Reviews and News

Again, enjoy your phone.

Dominic, You can't be serious? Out of everything you named, it boiled down to a personal preference: one handed use. Everything else you named, lets discuss it: the SGH IS NOT 3G. And as for the camera... you get .7 more megapixels. Big deal. 1.3 takes GREAT shots. So how does .7 more pixels put you in the elite club of camera phones now? That's laughable.
    Unless I am wrong HSDPA IS what one would get with 3G speeds..somewhere between 11-18 mbps internet speed being REAL broadband, and since most if not all of the posts that list the specs for the SGH-i760 as having HSDPA then the SGH-i760 has it and the SCH does NOT. I've checked MANY of the listed specs and here yet again lists it as HSDPA:

Samsung i760 Unlocked GSM Pocket PC Cell Phone - Popular Electronics

What's laughable is that the SCH-i760 doesnt have 3G but rather maintains the older last generation technology perfect for when the i730 came out. 2MP is standard, 1.3MP is LESS than standard to go with 1.3 with a brand new device, going less than where most if not all other phones have, is backwards. Again, I didn't say it was elite, but standard and 1.3 is not standard but less than..

You make all this noise about the SCH not being an upgrade...

Ooooookay....

Enjoy your phone because that was a failed attempt at making SCH users feel inadequate. Brighthands lists the SCH at the most popular phone at #1. Phones like the iPhone? #6 Buddy. SCH isn't popular for no reason.
    I am an SCH user, as I still am using my wonderful SCH-i730, so I'm not dissing SCH users, I'm giving my take on the particular SCH-i760 which basically got between sort of ok to average to good ratings from people, a 7 out of 10 from cnet as well (where as the i730 got the highest I've seen yet, at 8.3), but if you look at the specs and the comments left for the SGH-i760 you can see the excitment there for a reason..and the reason why it hasn't been rated is PROBEBLY because it has no vendor, hasn't officially been released, at least in a clear way, and therefore no new info has been passed from tech online sites or magazines.

PDA and SmartPhone Reviews and News

Again, enjoy your phone.
    I do, and I will. Thanks.