+ Reply to Thread

During the San Diego County Wildfires...

Hello; I live in San Marcos, CA (San Diego County).
    I wanted to keep in-touch with my brother, who lives up near Palomar Mountain/Lake Henshaw area. I have/use a VX 6700, I was having much difficultly with 'droped calls' during the week (last week), trying to find out if my brother and his family were going to have to evacuate their home...YES, they had too! (Forced evacuation to Del Mar Fair Grounds)!
    I went to Verizon and asked them if they could turn-on my old cell-phone (Qualcomm QCP 860). NO, they could not...I can not have two phones active at the same time! O.K., I'm new...why not?!? I'm paying for the air-time!
    They told me that my 'old' QCP 860 is not 9-1-1 compatible?!? What do I care!
    I'm in the middle of a "forced evacuation"! I'm driving a water truck and a dozer in the middle of a Wildfire, and I am NOT allowed to use a analog type of device on my Verzion call plan!?! But, my 'old' QCP 860 works GREAT, but I can no longer use it...I don't get it!?! (I'm new...I'm willing to learn...I just don't get it...)!?!

Donald

Administrator
    analog service is about to be shut down and that space auctioned off, so the mobile companies are moving everyone over to digital service... just as analog NTSC will be history in less than 18 months (if the FCC has their way).

i agree analog service works great, especially in the outlying areas. your not the only one thats going to have issues. folks in live trucks and dSNG trucks that rely on analog phones for IFB will now have to worry about delay when using digital phone service... but thats another topic...

Marctronixx; I really did NOT know where to post this!?! Thanks for moving it.
    "...dSNG trucks...IFB..."? Again, I'm new, and I'm not real sure what these are or mean! I use my VX 6700 as a phone contact (I can carry that list, and add to it at anytime, anywhere). I don't have a clue how to use 2/3's of the features on this device!?! Back in 2003, there was a real big fire in San Diego
    County (The Cider's Fire), and I had been driving an off-road water truck for a guy who really wanted 'out' of the dirt-work business. I bought his 'aging' water truck, put a great deal of money into it as far as up-grading all of the radios so I would be in 'compliance' with CDF (California Department of Forestry), as well as CAL Fire complaint. My 'new-to-me' water truck went out to that fire with 2 drivers and a relief driver. It (the water truck), worked for two weeks straight...(Not only was I able to pay it off, but I rebuilt the diesel engine in it)! I sent the truck out on a few more 'dirt-jobs' over the next three and a half years, and I was called out on Sat. night (20th of Oct., my water truck is still out on the fire-line!), I have been out there, working on the fire, but NOT on the fire-line, until Thursday night around midnight!
    My water truck is driven by a professional firefighter, who knows just how to use that truck, and fight a fire. I was 'operating' a small dozer, in another part of San Diego County.
    Sorry...long winded! I really could use that Qualcomm QCP 860 (analog), device...it worked GREAT, out in the "field!"

Donald
    Last edited by Donald; 10-29-2007 at 02:20 AM.

The 911 issue Verizon mentioned isn't anything under their control. The FCC has ruled that any type of phone has to be capable of providing location information so that emergency services can find you if you call but can't speak for any reason. That's why you're seeing phones that support improved triangulation from towers or integrate GPS/AGPS even if the functionality isn't enabled for the end user. So Verizon (or any other carrier, for that matter) is legally prevented from enabling a phone that won't report sufficient location information.

You'll also see similar issues on the VoIP side of the equation. You can't order VoIP services unless the carrier can present your location information to the PSAP where you live - something that requires them to have a much broader reach and database. They fought that requirement for years before the Vonage thing hit the fan in the papers a year or two ago.