+ Reply to Thread
    DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar

A UMPC/VZW sweet hack

I've been using the Samsung Q1 Ultra since June and I think it's, quite possibly, my favorite computer of all I've ever owned.

The thumb keys are great for a quick email or unsername/password entry, and the Vista handwriting recognition is phenominal.

It's light & small and super easy to travel with, and my Stowaway BT keyboard & Targus BT mouse give me all the facility of a full size way to type etc.

So . . . . Here's a hack I performed that is really sweet. I purchased the VZW data plan and the USB720 "usb dongle" EVDO-Rev.A data card. It worked really well but it looked really silly having a big old USB dongle sticking out of such a small computer.

Here's the hack:
    • I opened up the dongle and found a Novatel 720 mini pci express card inside.
    • I opened up the Samsung Q1 ultra and found a vacant mini pci express card slot inside.
    • I took the card out of the dongle and inserted it in the vacant slot.
    • I purchased and installed an internal mini card antenna from ebay for $7.00
    • I closed it up and strted Verizon access manager (the software that comes with the data card) and it immediately found the card but couldn't bring it to a "power on" state.
    • I went to the Samsung website and found a bios upgrade, so I downloaded it, and installed it
    • I tried VZW access manager again and this time it "powered on" the card and I immediately had a VZW EVDO signal of three bars, sitting at home in my basement office.
    • I opened a browser and ran the 2 wire speed test and get speeds ranging from 800K to 1.5 meg.
    I now have an Ultra Mobile PC with a 7 inch screen that has an embeded VZW EVDO-Rev.A modem that can acces the internet anywhere at any time.

The only constant is change.

sweeeeet... ya gotta post a pic of that one
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I'll second that!
    Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    sweeeeet... ya gotta post a pic of that one
    Mark
    Here ya go . . . Screenshot of Verizon Access Manager showing "connected" state:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A UMPC/VZW sweet hack-capture2.jpg  
    Last edited by JimCapraro; 11-01-2007 at 10:46 PM.

that's awesome, great thinking! do you notice any signal degradation since your card is internal now?

also, how is the battery life with your UMPC? I was thinking of getting one instead of a new laptop...

Quote Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
    that's awesome, great thinking! do you notice any signal degradation since your card is internal now?

also, how is the battery life with your UMPC? I was thinking of getting one instead of a new laptop...
    Signal is degraded slightly but not really bad, though.

On extended battery, I can get 5 hours normally but if I'm really careful about turning wifi/bt off, darkening screen etc. I've squeezed it to 7 on occasion. of course the trade off for battery life is an 800mhz (albeit extremely efficient) processor.