+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Thinking of moving to Raleigh, NC area... anyone down there?

My wife and I are seriously considering selling our house and moving to the Raleigh, NC area. Any PDAPhoneHome folks down that way?
    Mike - Been Converged?

Nobody lives in the Raleigh area???
    Mike - Been Converged?

Forget NC and head to Illinois like me.

I believe Mike aka Wideawake, the Admin at PPCgeeks, lives in Raleigh.
    Projects: (PeraStats 1.6.5) (PeraCount with Clock 1.2.5) (PeraCount 1.2.5) (PeraProfiler 1.1.5) (S2U2Lock 1.0)

I lived in Raleigh for 3 years about 10 years ago. Nice town for families, but my wife and I were bored with the limited culture and diversity then, but the area was growing and could be better now. It is a long drive to the mountains (you may miss that coming from Albany) or the beach.

Alan

Thanks for the info Alan. I understand the culture thing... its probably still that way, but I have to confess that I am not that much of a cultural guy. As for the beach, I actually like it a lot warmer than NY is, so we usually go down to at least Maryland if going to the beach. Raleigh would be a lot closer to a warm beach...
    Mike - Been Converged?

If you like it warmer, it is definitely better than upstate NY! Although they do get their fair share of snow in wintertime in Raleigh, it is not nearly as abundant as Albany's snowfall annually. I live way too close to the coast and the warm Gulf Stream to get much snow every year... and I miss driving in the snow.

There are lots of cool places around there, including major universities (NC State, UNC and Duke) and the Tech Triangle. It's about 3 hours from the beaches... and about 2 hours from the mountains (if you can call them that, as opposed to the Adirondacks.) I'm not that far away from Raleigh.
    John

I used live in Chapel Hill. I was a resident Ob/Gyn then, so I wasn't allowed to get out much! I was actually quite surprised how liberal the "triangle" was (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill). Outside the triangle it's Jesse Helms country. Inside it's John Edwards. But it was nice to live close enough for great beaches, close enough to beautiful mountains, great college sports, big trees, and not too far from DC. You do get snow, but not too much. It's the hurricanes you gotta watch out for....
    Jeremiah 29:11

Yep, I grew up about 100 miles due north of Raleigh, so I know about the weather, hurricanes, etc. I like snow, just don't like to see it for 3-4 months. Last few years haven't been too bad for that here, but still way cold. I remember a few years ago it was blow freezing before the end of November, and it didn't go above freezing once until the late March... no kidding, no point in time above freezing. I can safely say that I hate the cold weather. Don't do anything outside much during the winter... don't ski... don't sled really... so its a not so fun time.
    Mike - Been Converged?

So where did you grow up? That would put you in Virginia, between Farmville and Lynchburg approximately... not a bad location at all! Now that my daughter goes to VA Tech, I get to see that part of VA a lot more and I like it! Reminds me of home... sort of. The hills, the lakes... not at all like the coast, all flat, sandy and marshy. And traffic here stinks thanks to all of the bridges and tunnels!
    John

I was born in Danville, VA and grew up in Emporia, VA. I have about 50 or 60 first cousins floating around in VA still. One of my sisters and my Mom live in Waynesboro, VA and my other sister lives in Richmond, VA. But its funny, I always kind of thought of myself more as an NC guy even growing up because we always drove over to NC to do things.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Well, we have a contract on a house... so things are progressing. Now we just need to sell our house!
    Mike - Been Converged?

Just saw this post. I have been on ppcgeeks for a few months but new PDAPhoneHome. I moved to Raleigh 13 years ago from Syracuse (grew up in Buffalo). I know snow and don't miss schlepping in the slush. When I moved here I didn't think I'd stay more the few years. But the area has grown and grown on me. I met my wife here (funny enough we grew up 5 miles, literally, from each other in the Buffalo area but met here) and my Mom moved down several years ago. Short of it, we're not planning to move anywhere anytime soon. I like being so close to the beach and the mountains. You can get to Wilmington in about 2 hours, North Myrtle in 2.5/3 hours, the Outer Banks in 4, and the mountains in like 3-4 hours. Mild winters, warm summers. I wouldn't mind even less winter and I don't mind the heat in the summer. All in all, a pretty nice place to live.

Me and the wife just bought a new Town House in Cary, NC. It will be ready in July. We are moving from LI, NY. Luckily we don't need to sell a house here. Especially with the market as bad as it is. Even then, who the hell can afford a house around here in a decent neighborhood. And what you get for your money is a joke.
    We have friends that move down to Cary around 2 years ago and we usually go to visit them around every three months or so. We just love it over there. Its so clean, and the people are really friendly. Kind of the opposite of NY.
    Kind of looking forward to but, at the same time it is going to be a big change. I have lived in NY my whole life so it might take some adjusting and getting used to. God thing for GPS on our devices though. At least I dont have to worry about getting lost to often. We just need to make sure we have updated maps to keep up with all the new streets and developments they are building.

OK, I pirated the pictures off the realtors website... I guess it will be OK since I bought the house. Here are some more shots of the house...

Front view... same as above, but that will go away soon.

Driveway view and there is the "man cave".

Kitchen... I guess this is the "girl cave". Karen loves this part of the house, but we need to do a few things in here.. countertops and appliances all need updating.

Family room... southern exposure out the back windows so this room and the kitchen are always sunny. Out these windows is the screen porch too.

Kitchen nook... this is really like a sunroom because its windowed on three sides and gets a lot of sun.

Attic... this is a big extra bonus room/bedroom on the third floor... has a bathroom and walk-in closet and also a work room they were using as a sewing room. I may put my office up here which was the original plan, but my son is now wanting to take this as his bedroom. The jury (Mom and Dad) is still out.

Dining room... looking out the front of the house.

Screen porch... this was built-in when the house was originally built, so its really well done. We've never had a screen porch and always wanted one. I think we'll spend a lot of time in this during the milder months.

Deck... this needs some work... needs to be sanded and restained. All the wood is very rough. Our thought was a pool off to the right of this, but that depends on a) the layout of the septic tank and drain field, and b) how much we are able to sell our place for.

Back yard... the yard is just under an acre and backs up to woods.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Very nice!!
    John

Thanks... I believe it will work out good for us. I'm going down on Sunday to be there for the inspections on Monday, and to talk to a pool contractor about whether we can get a pool in the backyard without disrupting the septic system.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Hope all goes well with the sale of your house in NY. You won't miss all of that snow!
    John

Very nice house, great lot. Tough to find a lot that size down here, unless you go out a bit.

It is in Wake County, about 10-15 minutes to downtown Raleigh... west of Garner and north of Lake Wheeler.
    Mike - Been Converged?