+ Reply to Thread

Mac laptop users?

Lately, I've been pining for an Apple laptop. I need a laptop, and always wanted a Mac. I've also heard that you can run Windows on a separate partition rather well, and that would be nice to have.

Question to those out there---which one to buy? What is the advantage of the the Pro version? To me the regular one, 13", with the 2.2 processor and 120-140GB hardrive and upgrade to 2GB memory seems to be the way to go.

Anyone running Windows on a separate partition? Does it work well? Take up too much memory? Pratical to have?

Any thoughts appreciated....
    Jeremiah 29:11

No Mac users here? I find that hard to believe..... anyone?

I started working at a school district last month that is all Mac. They issued me a Macbook (not Pro.) I love the thing. Pro's only come in 15" and 17", but what I like so much about mine is it's size (13".) It weighs next to nothing and the keyboard is very comfortable to type on.

I have to run Mac OS X on it (the new Leopard) at work, but at home I run Windows XP. It's very easy to setup the XP partition. The next time I buy a laptop it will be a Macbook. It is so pretty and light. It's got bluetooth, wifi, etc. builtin. I would rarely use the Mac OS as I've always been a Windows guy, but I like having the option. The Macbook is plenty fast enough as mine is configured (default config: 1 GB RAM, 2.0 Ghz, 80 GB HD) but I would do the upgrades you have listed. Never hurts to have the extras!
    Projects: (PeraStats 1.6.5) (PeraCount with Clock 1.2.5) (PeraCount 1.2.5) (PeraProfiler 1.1.5) (S2U2Lock 1.0)

Thank you Waitin. Anyone else have thoughts?

I'm an Apple user of close to 30 years (since the Apple II). Of course, at work, I've usually been "stuck" using Windows. Thus, I'm fairly well-versed in both. I find the Mac tons easier to use and much more stable. Since Apple switched to Intel chipsets, I see zero downside to buying an Apple device because you can run either OS. Straight out of the box, a new Mac is dual boot capable; just supply your own copy of Windows. In addition, a couple of software publishers out there make software that allows you to run multiple OSes at the same time (without the need for rebooting). The most popular of those programs is called "Parallels."

Over Thanksgiving weekend, I decided to upgrade my 5-6 year-old PowerMac desktop tower by purchasing a 20" iMac and a 13" MacBook. I haven't had a chance to even open the box for the iMac; however, I have been playing with the MacBook and am very much enjoying it. In fact, my father-in-law, who is visiting my family from Chicago, watched yesterday's Bears game on my MacBook via SlingPlayer for the Mac (we didn't get the Bears game on local TV so another user here let me Sling the game from his Slingbox).

I had considered going with just the MacBook Pro (instead of both the iMac and the MacBook) but ultimately decided that I had enough peripherals attached to my tower that I didn't want to have to continually be plugging and unplugging devices from the MacBook Pro. Thus, for the price of the MacBook Pro (roughly), I got the MacBook and the iMac. Both run an Intel Core Duo 2.2 GHz; both came stock with 1GB of RAM (which I am in the process of upgrading to 3GB thanks to some sales at Fry's Electronics and shifting of SO-DIMMs between the iMac, which came with a single 1GB stick, and the MacBook, which came with a two 512MB sticks); and both came stock with a DVD burner. I almost bought refurbs directly from Apple (the MacBook refurb was the slightly older model running 2.16GHz instead of 2.2), but when I calculated the sales tax, I found out I was better off buying them from MacConnection, which also was offering $75 MIR on both machines. Thus, I think at most I ended up paying $100 more through MacConnection, but I ended up with new (versus refurb) machines, plus got the slightly faster MacBook and a carrying case that is free after MIR.

I have not had a chance to try out Windows on either machine but hope to do so soon; I just need to go out and buy a copy of Windows XP before they stop selling it.

I could talk all day about Macs. If you have some specific questions or want more information, let me know. Whichever Mac you go with, though, I highly recommend purchasing the AppleCare extended warranty.

Regards,
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Thanks iProb8--I'll catch you offline sometime...