+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    glancebe

Site Focus: Vendor/Developer or Hackers?

Is the purpose of this site to encourage developement for smartphone's, to provide support and information to consumers, or to provide vendor networking?
    Just wondering what the dirrection is. I develope software for the 6035 as a hobby, I have a significant budget to spend on investing in R&D, Marketing, and sales. I was just wondering what the purpose of this site was.

Regards;

Bryan Glancey
    www.myverysmartphone.com<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

glancebe
    Deleted

Re: Site Focus: Vendor/Developer or Hackers?

[quote:268a7fed9b][i:268a7fed9b]Originally posted by glancebe [/i:268a7fed9b]
    [B]Is the purpose of this site to encourage developement for smartphone's, to provide support and information to consumers, or to provide vendor networking?
    Just wondering what the dirrection is. I develope software for the 6035 as a hobby, I have a significant budget to spend on investing in R&amp;D, Marketing, and sales. I was just wondering what the purpose of this site was.

Regards;

Bryan Glancey
    www.myverysmartphone.com [/quote:268a7fed9b]

Bryan,

I could be a single voice here, but I can tell you that one of the reasons this board does not exist for is product promotion by commercial vendors. The administration of this board may want to step in to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't beleive the majority of the membership here is looking for vendors.

And I don't believe you endear yourself to the membership at large with negative comments to a member who, I believe, simply did not agree with your approach.

Just my 2¢

Now go back to your $500 bottle of wine and let the beer drinkers continue.

Administrator
    i dont dare try to speak for the BIG BOSS (jimmy joe), but he puts this board in my ( and a couple of others) hands, and we dont use the FREE site for a store. you are better off going to palmgear or the like to post your products there. but please drop jimmyjoe an email to get the final word. :

What is this?

While not seeing the post from Joey, Bryan, I gather it was somewhat offensive to you. I would like to think that with your Mensa mind and Ivy League education, you could do better than attack someone for being less wealthy than you. I think you need to drink two of those $500 bottles of wine (although you'd probably do better with a nice $50 bottle of wine and spending the rest on cool sounds for your phone) and go take a sensitivity training class. :eeek:

I for one, am happy to see someone with an interest in improving the usefulness of the 6035 and do not object to an occassional post which identifies itself as an advertisement. Of course, I certainly do not object to a rule prohibiting such posts.

P.S. Could you sell me the instructions to convert my Sprint phone to Verizon. :rolleyes1

tfischer
    Bryan,

I didn't see Joey's post, but unfortunatly did see yours.

Either you a) lied about your credentials, or b) are a complete, insecure loser, or c) both.

I would hope anyone with your supposed credentials would find a post such as yours FAR below them.

-Tim

glancebe

Done.

deleted

Perhaps, your questions would have been more appropriately directed to the host of the site rather than the general public audience.

This happens to be an excellent, informative site, with a lot of talented and interesting people with great ideas.

Hope you have much success in your endeavors.

joey59
    How could anyone steal anything off of your site?? I tried to listen to a ringer, but all you can do is buy them! Without any preview at all.

What I did say was, I wouldn't buy any ringers without at least a preview, and I would rather make my own anyway. Plus, I'd rather not buy them from someone that couldn't even spell.

If you would take the time to browse this board before you post, you would find a lot of friendly people here to help each other in tweaking the performance of this great phone. I don't know of anyone who posts here regularly that would even want anything that was hacked or otherwise stolen. Most who do just keep on going down the road. As you seem to be doing, thankfully.

Once more, It's just MY opinion.

joey59
    For those that missed my original post. I had deleted it, to save my breath on this guy. But here it is.

"For myself, it's to get the knowledge to fix things myself, or add features. Instead of paying third party vendors to do it. (Such as paying 10 bucks for ringers, when I can make my own just fine. And not having to worry about if they are any good or not before I buy them from someone who has trouble spelling)

As I posted once before on this matter, this is just MY opinion..

I found this board trying to setup MO-SMS on my Verizon phone when the customer service rep's told me it could not be done. I don't like to be told something can't be done! Thanks to this board and all of those knowledgeable people here I can do many things with this phone."

Thanks

Thanks for the response--I had assumed that the moderators removed it for being so offensive. I didn't realize that it would be so brutal

joey59
    mrdirtguy,
    I'm sorry if it seemed brutal, he kind of hit a nerve on another thread which the moderator did delete. I normally wouldn't just jump out there and be so harsh with someone on a first post.
    I do like this board though, and the mention of "hackers" and this board in the same breath hit even harder. I'm hoping this thread will go by the wayside also.

Joey
    No worries-I was joking; I expected a MUCH more aggressive post.

[quote:cf1657eb0d][i:cf1657eb0d]Originally posted by joey59 [/i:cf1657eb0d]
    [B]For those that missed my original post. I had deleted it, to save my breath on this guy. But here it is.

"For myself, it's to get the knowledge to fix things myself, or add features. Instead of paying third party vendors to do it. (Such as paying 10 bucks for ringers, when I can make my own just fine. And not having to worry about if they are any good or not before I buy them from someone who has trouble spelling)

As I posted once before on this matter, this is just MY opinion..

I found this board trying to setup MO-SMS on my Verizon phone when the customer service rep's told me it could not be done. I don't like to be told something can't be done! Thanks to this board and all of those knowledgeable people here I can do many things with this phone." [/quote:cf1657eb0d]

Joey,

I wanted to let you know that I appreciate your reposting your comments. I thought you were right to take this guy to task and I thought you did it in a proper manner.

Amazing what an ego will do to a mouth, huh?!

tfischer
    [quote:adcc15e05c] "For myself, it's to get the knowledge to fix things myself, or add features. Instead of paying third party vendors to do it. (Such as paying 10 bucks for ringers, when I can make my own just fine. And not having to worry about if they are any good or not before I buy them from someone who has trouble spelling)
    [/quote:adcc15e05c]

Joey,

Absolutely AMAZING that he would react like that to a post that I'm sure [u:adcc15e05c]everyone[/u:adcc15e05c] here will agree was quite proper.

LIke I said before, either the guy is lying about his credentials, or just simply needs a life :rolleyes1

-Tim

I must make a confession.....

Upon looking at his site and seeing the audacity of his attempting to charge $10.00 for simple ringtones, I copied the same tones, converted them to ringers and put them up for free on my site (along with the others I had made previously).

I throw myself upon the mercy of the court.....

RL

glancebe

summary

therein lies the rub. I spent money to buy sounds to make ringers, licensed from soundrangers.com. I sold them to make up for the money I spent and to by more sounds (and write a manual and an install/de-install shield).
    Someone commented that I should have sound samples of what the ringers sound like up on my website, I did so.. leggman then proceeded to steal those sounds that I purchased and post them on his site for free. .. I paid for the sounds, he distributes them for free.
    I complained and several members here attacked me personally for my credentials, my attitude, and then my spelling.
    Moral of the story, I invested money to try to make a product for the 6035. People here then proceeded to steal from me eliminating my business. Everyone else then attacked me for getting mad about it.
    You tell me, Will I know invest more money in hiring programmers for the 6035? Does developing apps for the 6035 sound like a good business proposition?

LOL.....

$500 bottle of wine but still needs to recoup his 10 bucks.......and now has deleted his earlier message......

This thread is long past its prime.......

btw.... I thought he said he was "outta here"?

Cheers......RL

"You tell me, Will I [b:eb42404ac8]know[/b:eb42404ac8] invest more money in hiring programmers for the 6035? Does developing apps for the 6035 sound like a good business proposition?"

I guess NOW vs. KNOW is not on the Mensa test

glancebe

FYI: the Legal conclusion

Just FYI.. I am negotiating to pay the additional licensing required &amp; they are pursuing the theft of their licensed sound samples.. I figured out how to make a de-installer for ringtone that I will be including in the product (thanks to the guys at Palm).

included find the e-mail about me paying more money (read hundreds of dollars) for the rigtones that were stolen byLeggnet.

To: Bryan - myverysmartphone
    Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 11:02 AM
    Subject: Re: theft of some samples

Hi Bryan,

We very much appreciate you pointing this out to us. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to "re-distribute" our sounds either without an additional license. The license you purchased when you bought the sounds covers you if you're using the fx embedded in either a commercial or personal website, music piece, radio/tv production or CD-ROM. The license does not allow re-distributing the sounds in their original form (regardless of file format).

So, you'll need to purchase an additional licensing agreement from us. Until then, we must ask you to remove our sounds from your site. Feel free to contact me with any questions, and to move forward with this.

Barry

Barry Dowsett
    SOUNDRANGERS
    http://www.soundrangers.com
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: audioguys@soundrangers.com
    Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 9:57 AM
    Subject: theft of some samples

Hi -

I bought some sounds to make a ringtone product for smartphones (www.myverysmartphone.com) - I made the mistake of posting samples to the page of what the ringtones sound like in the end in WAV format. They were stolen from the site and reposted on http://leggnet.com/ringtones/ - they are posted their in WAV format for download.
    I pulled the wav files and now I will compile them into flash or something to prevent future thefts.

sorry -

Bryan Glancey

tfischer

Re: FYI: the Legal conclusion

Evidently comprehending a license agreement isn't covered by Mr. MENSA either.

What he did was just as illegal as what he's accusing Leggnet of doing. But somehow he's smarter than everyone else here...:o

-Tim