+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

This board is slowly breaking down

As all of you that post regularly here have noticed, the board is screwing with our heads. Long response times, varying error messages on posts (usually resulting in duplicate posts), inaccurate post information in forum ( not showing correct amount of responses, if there are new ones since your last visit, who the last poster was, etc).

For example, lately I have been getting "Bad file descriptor" and timeout errors that would lead you to believe that the post did not go through when they actuually did.

When you get an error like that, press your browsers back button to see your message composition page again, put your cursor in the composition box, hit CTRL+A to highlight everything you typed, followed by CTRL+C to copy it to the Windows clipboard. THen go to the topic and see if your message posted or not. If not, do another reply, and CTRL+V your copied text back into the composition box and resubmit.

I dunno what is happening to the board, more than likely high traffic is causing this, but I know the double posts are agervating us .

On a side note, you can delete your posts as long as no one else has reply to your most last one, by pressing the "X" button on the top right of your reply box on the 7135 forums only.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I agree. When I log in, the board no longer tells me if and where new posts are. Thus, I have to look at all of the threads to see what's new.

is the forum admin active in the forums

are there any active moderators that may be able to help

is admin aware of the difficulties that we are all having

iBug
    mac osx usernew beetle pilotpowerbook operatorsmartphone communicator

I'm still having problems with the board. Before, there would be new posts, but the main screen wouldn't indicate them. Now, the main screen says there are new posts, but when I go into the thread, no new posts are shown. Is anyone else having this problem?

JP

Not showing posts

I went to the Washington DC meet thread in the 7135 forum and it didn't show the fourth page.

I was able to see 4 more posts when I hit "reply". Then, after I make a post it shows my post, along with other new ones, on [b:d525e79a53]Page 4 of 3[/b:d525e79a53]!

I can't view any of the posts on that page 4 unless I go to reply.

Does anyone else see a page 4 in that thread?

jp

Re: Not showing posts

posted by "jp"
    I went to the Washington DC meet thread in the 7135 forum and it didn't show the fourth page.

I was able to see 4 more posts when I hit "reply". Then, after I make a post it shows my post, along with other new ones, on Page 4 of 3!

I can't view any of the posts on that page 4 unless I go to reply.

Does anyone else see a page 4 in that thread?

jp
    i have the same problem on several threads (forum wide)...
    ie: "page 3 of 2" and the like.

i think the forum software needs some updating or tweaking.
    it is definitely developing some strange anomolies
    iBug

recent error when trying to post.
    Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:wwwqcp6035.comphpbbincludessmtp.php on line 32

took me 3 times to get this one to go thru.

where's the admin?

anyone have any ideas?

we are going to have to address this or else it will go the way of several other forums i have seen. it will continue to degrade to the point that all posts and info here will be inaccessable.

hope the admin shows up soon.
    iBug

I found a trick to get the board to show posts that are there, but you can't see.

When you click on a topic, and you [b:a7291d10fa]know[/b:a7291d10fa] there are more posts then what it shows you, increase the number on the end of the url. For example, when I clicked on the "New Kyocera Smartphone Close But No Cigar" topic, page 3, I did not see all the last posts. But when I increased the last number in the URL from http://www.smartphonesource.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2962&amp;start=30 to http://www.smartphonesource.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2962&amp;start=40 , it showed the rest.

Just till we get this fixed?!?!

Hey gang,
    Sorry for the lack of response! Jimmyjoe has been extremely busy with his business lately, and unfortunately hasn't had any time to read his email or get on the net. I've alerted him to the problems everyone seems to be experiencing with the board. He hopes in the next couple of days to have a few spare hours to devote to looking into the current problems with the BB software.
    Hang tight, it will get fixed!
    --Jazz--

?????

any new info
    iBug

Ok I am so sorry about being soo busy lately... Jazz has been telling me my name is mudd around here... At any rate, I am here and the first part of this week will be slow.

If you guys could, please reply to this message and list the problems that you are having, as I have recieved alot of mail as to problems and fixes and it would be easier to just list the ones that are still prevalent.

As a side note: I would like to extend an offer of helping out on some of the administration to those who would like to help and has been around long enough and has been active ( you all know who you are) If any of you are interested please msg me.

Thanks again for your patience,

Jimmyjoe
    -=Jimmyjoe=-

jimmyjoe,

The main problem I have is that the board defaults to oldest posts first. I can switch it to newest first on a screen-by-screen basis, but when I switch threads, it defaults back to oldest first.

Second, I was having a problem where the main screen would say that there are no new posts, but when I went into a thread, there would be posts. Then that reversed itself, and the opposite was happening. The main screen would say that there were new posts, but then they don't show up in the thread unless you modify the last number in the URL (thanks HoTSynC) and reload the page.

Good luck!

jimmyjoe -
    Most of the problems I have with this board I ascribe to the mac platform - because they are usually gone when I'm browsing on a PC.

I usually assume that mac-related illness is either a low-priority or just a practical fact of life. But if you want more info I will try to document some.

And I would be happy to talk to you about attempting to help with the admin around here. I'm not "senior" yet, but maybe one day, just maybe.....

Actually, if I go senior at 100 posts, this is it.............................................

oh yeah, un-huh, that's right, I'm cool, un-huh, that's right, oh yeah.....

Oops....was that out loud?

As with davemayo, my biggest problem is always seeing the threads as oldest first instead of newest first. If you check the thread on this, most people see threads oldest first, but some say that they see them as newest first. Also, someone has identified a MOD for the board software that gives the members a selection in the profile on how they want to see all threads (oldest or newest first).

Thanks.

RamblinWreck

Also a BIGGIE is, we do a "reply" and then can't find it anywhere. It is on a hidden mystery page. (i.e. Page 4 of 3).

Bizarre!

Thanks for looking into it,
    ~'kito

Okay, not only am I still experiencing the mosquito-esqe irritation of the "no posts in this topic" business, but I've been getting wierd issues with images - sometimes the "quote" button is replaced by the "PM" button, sometimes the emoticons are misplaced and repeated (e.g. two " , no )

what's up with that?

[quote:11ad2600ca="barnz1"]Okay, not only am I still experiencing the mosquito-esqe irritation of the "no posts in this topic" business, but I've been getting wierd issues with images - sometimes the "quote" button is replaced by the "PM" button, sometimes the emoticons are misplaced and repeated (e.g. two " , no )

what's up with that?[/quote:11ad2600ca]

I thought it was just me having this issue. Day before yesterday I was having bizarre icons showing up instead of the normal ones. For example, instead of the "No New Posts" icon, I had what appeared to be a grayscale image of two stick figure kids on a see-saw. I also had the "Post Reply" button replaced with Kniteman's Avatar. A few others as well.

Anyway, I dumped my offline cache and completely cleared out any cookies and it seemed to go away. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not but I haven't had the bizarre behavior since.
    - Archnemysis

Hmm - I'l try that - but if nobody ever hears from me again, I've forgotten my password...I know it will be hard, but I want you all to go on without me...SAVE YOURSELVES, YOU FOOLS!

finger in the dam...

wow, this place is really having troubles.

nothing seems to work anymore.
    my email is full of links that don't go anywhere.
    posts don't show.
    database #s out of order and non-responsive.
    ETC...

are we getting any closer to some real resolutions?

iBug