+ Reply to Thread

Developer Forum?

Is there enough interest for a developer's forum for the 7135 section?

While an experienced programmer, I am new to developing towards Palm and more specifically the 7135 platforms. In my search for resources, the only developer forum I've seen is the kyocera-forum in the palm newsgroups, but from the looks of it, it hardly gets used.

This board has a large and helpful user base, so I am guessing that a developer forum would quickly become better than Palm's forum, and, like the rest of the board, a terrific asset for anyone looking for information on the 7135.

Re: Developer Forum?

I would be all for this, but right now the SPS user base seems to be almost exclusively power users, with few developers. I know of perhaps 3 or 4 people here with Palm programming experience, and a few others who have expressed interest.

I'd be more than willing to help out where I could, if such a section were created. I think to make it work, we would somehow have to attract some additional developers and interested parties here from elsewhere to get some "critical mass" going, but I admit I'm not sure how to go about it.

Originally posted by bhil
    Is there enough interest for a developer's forum for the 7135 section?

While an experienced programmer, I am new to developing towards Palm and more specifically the 7135 platforms. In my search for resources, the only developer forum I've seen is the kyocera-forum in the palm newsgroups, but from the looks of it, it hardly gets used.

This board has a large and helpful user base, so I am guessing that a developer forum would quickly become better than Palm's forum, and, like the rest of the board, a terrific asset for anyone looking for information on the 7135.

Re: Re: Developer Forum?

Originally posted by rlwhitt
    I think to make it work, we would somehow have to attract some additional developers and interested parties here from elsewhere to get some "critical mass" going, but I admit I'm not sure how to go about it.
    If I knew where to find those additional developers, I would definitely direct them to this board whether there was a developer forum or not, you can't find a better 7135 resource.

But that is the problem, where to find them? The Palm forum, which I expected to be relatively well used, has had only 4 or 5 posts in the last two months, and nothing for almost 5 months prior to that.

I guess I'm kind of hoping for the "if you build it, they will come" phenomena, to bring them to us.

Well lets start with a developers "thread" and then hopefully we can get the mods to create a forum as the usage goes up. I'm wondering what kind of issues SPS would have with Kyocera on this. Would we all have to sign non disclosure statements!
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    I'm wondering what kind of issues SPS would have with Kyocera on this. Would we all have to sign non disclosure statements!
    mg
    I would have to reread the license agreement from the SDK but I don't think so. The SDK is freely available to anyone who agrees to the license, so as long as none of the discussions violate the license agreement we should be fine.

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Well lets start with a developers "thread" and then hopefully we can get the mods to create a forum as the usage goes up.
    That's as good a place as any to start, I think I'll go create a thread right now.

Just saw the thread! Great start Bhil!
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Administrator
    thread has been moved to palm OS section as it does not directly pertain solely to the 7135. this site had a developer section but when the servers crashed, we lost a lot of forums within the site. we are in plans to rebuild the site so stay tuned. it wont be a major issue to create a developer section...

Originally posted by MGuzzyJust saw the thread! Great start Bhil![/B]
    Thanks mg, it always helps to have support. :o

Originally posted by marctronixx
    thread has been moved to palm OS section as it does not directly pertain solely to the 7135.

Actually my intention for the new thread/forum was that it did pertain directly to, and only to, Kyocera 7135 development. That is why I created it There are plenty of Palm programming forums already available, but no good Kyocera 7135 specific ones. I was looking to create a place where 7135 developers could go for help or to share their expertise directly with the 7135 and its unique functions/API, without having it clouded by generic Palm programming information.

Would you be terribly offended I asked to have it moved back to the 7135 discussion?

Originally posted by marctronixx
    we are in plans to rebuild the site so stay tuned. it wont be a major issue to create a developer section
    :clap Fabulous! I am fairly new to the site, so I didn't know it had crashed, what it was like before, or that it was still being rebuilt! I was impressed with the site as it is, I can't wait to see what it is like when it is back in all of its glory. Especially, with the developers section. :wink

Administrator
    i understand you want the development specifically for the 7135, however most users here are not developers.. just normal users, as rl pointed out. i would much prefer it stay in the palm os section at this point. no disrespect meant towards you and please dont take it personally. we have the different sections up for a purpose.

yes we had a developers forum so i dont see any reason for us not to implement that once we get the site back to where it was before...

please stay tuned... :drink3

No problem, the thread can stay where it is, and both it and I will be anxiously awaiting the reformed developers section.

Is there an estimated time for the site to be back up to where it was before? Don't worry, I'm not looking for any kind of date to hold you to, just a shot-in-the-dark timeline if you are able to give one.

Administrator
    i would say within a month. the bosses have had some personal things to take care of and they are wrapping that up.

thanks for the eagerness to bring up the developers forum! we did not have a big acceptance before.. perhaps you will change that,,,,