+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Antenna Port

Antenna Port

Does the 650 have an antenna port. It looks like it does on the back, but they don't refer to it on the features page, so I'm not sure.

Administrator
    they dont refer to it for a reason.

there is an antena port of rf testing and this could be used to hook up an external antenna but this is definately NOT recommended. that link goes direct to the RF port and if you damage t in any way you can render the RF stage useless.

someone with a 6035 i think did this and ruined his phone (this was back in the day ..) its probably in the archives....

anyway, you would be better off using a repeater system...

Treo 650 external antenna

I live right on the edge of Verizon service area. I have a 650 coming in the mail from Verizon soon and will not be surprised if I get no signal at home, although my Kyocera 6035 did fine and my 7135 barely does.

So I'm all over the internet trying to see how to boost the signal for this phone. Marctronix(sp?), you said not to use the round port on back, but isn't the port on back the same one that is used on the Treo 600, and possibly the 300?

You also mentioned using a repeater. Do I have this right-repeaters are for use while in one place, and not for cars. Boosters are for cars? Every simple antenna and cable or booster I can fince online such as Wilson and a few others, all have a round connector to hook up on the back of the phone. If that is not right, I suppose an external antenna should hook to the bottom of the phone in the new 650 'universal accessory' jack.

Any help?-thanks!
    Love my Kyocera 6035, but my Treo 650 is cool too.

Repeaters are not physically attached to the phone. Most systems have an external antenna that is highly directional that you have to point towards the cell tower you are trying to boost. Inside they have an antenna (more than one for large buildings) that re-broadcasts the cell signal both directions.

A booster connects directly to an antenna jack on the phone.

Note that a repeater has to opperate in the correct frequency range or it won't help. My boss has one in his house in Florida and it works great, he bought one for his house in rural Illinois and it didn't work at all.

You can find more information here

Hey thanks antolod.

I did a bunch of reading on cellantenna.com. I'm still a little confused. A repeater looks like a powerful option, but the site said they're for buildings-and very expensive. A booster gives a good boost in reception for use in cars. An antenna alone for your car give a slight boost. Does this sound right? The advantage of the repeater is that it doesn't physically need to connect to my phone.

So if my phone reception is poor, and someone comes out with a trustworthy connector, maybe I should 1) just buy an antenna and connector for use in both car/home. 2) If that isn't good enough, purchase a booster. I have a 12 volt power source in my home, so I could use it both in car and home as long as it isn't hard wired into the car. 3) (not an option financially for me) buy a repeater for the home. Is this what you experts would do?
    Love my Kyocera 6035, but my Treo 650 is cool too.