+ Reply to Thread

Treo 650 & WiFi 256MB SD Card

Just saw the 256MB wifi card (SD) and wondered if anyone had used this on the Treo 600? I'm sure it would work on the Treo 650 if it worked on the Treo 600.

This would be faster web browsing, no doubt.

Any thoughts?

I believe it is recognized that it cannot work on the 600. I have no idea about the 650 though I am skeptical.

That card (or any wifi card for that matter) will not work on either the Treo 600 or 650.

Wow, that's a biggie and an unexpected one, as both the Treo and the card claim SDIO compatibility. Marty, can you explain what is the reason for the limitation?

Thanks,

Sorin

Being SDIO compatible is only 1 requirement to getting a peripheral to work in the slot. For the Treo 600, the slot is underpowered compared to all the other SDIO slots out there so it doesn't provide enough power for the card to run off of. For the 650, you need treo 650 specific drivers for the card to run properly, generic OS5 drivers for the wifi card, for whatever reason, do not work on the 650.

There is a guy on Treocentral boards trying to hack the T5 drivers to see if he can make it work. It doesn't seem likely, but we'll see.

this is an old thread, but did anyone ever make this work? sure would be nice to have the wi-fi capability.

Look under the "Patches & Misc Files" here . I've not tested, but there are wifi drivers for the 650.

Jeff

oooohhhh...

that looks way cool. anybody tried it yet? I'm new to the 650 and this seems like an advanced-level skill.

or should I go ahead and let it rip? I can always restore, right?

so after a few hours on treo central and shadowmite's site, it looks like wi-fi from the sd slot is a non-starter. shadowmite said he was through with the effort, and I didn't see anybody reporting they got it to work (at least with vzw). the sled also looks to be stillborn. nice smartphone...but now I'm back to looking to the future...