+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Full Length Movies on the 650! Geek meltdown!

I was playing around this weekend and encoded a few DVD movies using Pocket-DVD Studio. Then played them using MMPlayer.

It's amazing that this thing can play movies. A full length DVD takes up about 200mb. Quality of Video and Sounds is great. I think I'm going to have a geek meltdown with all stuff that I can do on the 650, coming from the i500.

My wife is already pissed that I've stayed up until 3am a couple of nights playing with this thing.

3D Software / VR Developer ferneau's Avatar
    Mogulman,

Maybe it's time you changed your icon from the i500...

Originally posted by ferneau
    Mogulman,

Maybe it's time you changed your icon from the i500...
    lol... good idea
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

So the MMPlayer is free?
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

OUCH!!!

Okay, so now what is it we can do with our mobile telephones: We can use dictionaries (to make sure we say the right thing on the telephone) We can translate (in case we're talking to a foreigner). We can find maps and subway stops (in case we get lost while we're talking on the phone). We can take pictures (in case we see something interesting while we're in a conversation). Now we can watch movies (in case...hmmm...this one's a bit tougher...I don't really know in case of what..,). What happened to making and receiving telephone calls?

Honestly I don't understand this movie thing. Who'd want to? And has anybody figured out exactly what this does to battery consumption once we figure out why we want to do this? Once you're finished watching the movie, is the battery dead so we can't...hmmm...use the telephone? But we saw the movie so that's okay...I guess....

I'm sure this is just a generational thing. I'm just too back in the day.

Perhaps you are too back in the day - definitely, you are in the wrong forum...

all perspectives are certainly welcome around here, that's what makes this place so great..

but for me, why would I want a movie on the t650? why not, because it's cool, and figuring out how to make it work, is 90% of the fun in owning this type of device!

now only if BT worked w/ the TL
    old devices: I300, I330, I500
    current: I730

Battery drain from watching a movie on the 600/650 is not bad at all. I personally never sit and watch a movie from start to finish on my phone, more like in 20-30 minute chunks over several days and I have more than enough juice to make it through the day.

Why would we want to watch a movie on our phone??? Because we want to of course.

I'm "back in the day" when I want to kiss my girlfriend. I'm "back in the day" when I want to drive a 68 mustang. Hell, I'm even "back in the day" when I go home and see the grade school that I went to 35 years ago. But I'll tell you what... when I go out and buy one of the most expensive (and newest) smart phones on the market, when I sit on an airliner and the lady in front of me has two screaming children who need to be drowned out by something else, when people at work come by and say "Hey, what's the coolest new thing you got?", I sure as hell am not in the mood to be "back in the day".

So, I guess the answer to who wants to watch a movie on their phone would be...

RETRODOG

OUCH!!!

Rational reason for watching a movie on my Treo 650:
    When I'm sitting in the airport waiting for my plane to leave, I can watch part of a movie without taking out my laptop.

Geek reason:
    To impress my other geek friends who just have a regular cell phone and to make regular people gasp when they see it. "What is that?? That's so cool!!".

Seen any good movies lately?

Originally posted by mdavis
    Seen any good movies lately?
    Mostly just classics, from "back in the day".

OUCH!!!

I never saw that one.

Greetings,
    This is my first post, so please be gentle. i am a newbie to the PDA phone world, and want to learn as much as I can. I had the Hitachi G1000, but it dropped and broke, so lockline replaced it with a treo 650. I use to put my movies on sd cards and watch them through media player. I see you are watching movies or video media on your t650, can you tell me how I can do this? What do I need to download? Where do I get it? I was about to download this program called kimona producer because it turns all files into a kimona file and plays it. It sounded good for a newbie like me that has difficulties with certain programs or movies not playing because of their extensions. What do you think?

Some interesting stuff here. I'll be trying it this coming weekend.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=64635

OUCH!!!

I think im going with the pocket DVD, but can you tell me how to play just video, what i really want to do is put the new star wars trailer on my phone. Do you know if that pocket DVD works as a all around media player?

Pocket-dvd http://www.pqdvd.com converts regular DVDs to an AVI file the right size for the Treo 650. I had problems with their 2.0.3 version. I could only get 1.2.6 to work correctly. It seems to work fine.

Then you have to copy the AVI file to an SD card using a card reader on your PC. Then pop the SD card into your Treo 650.

To read the AVI file, use MMPLAYER at www.mmplayer.com

Nanotechnology Nerd shadowboxer's Avatar
    Originally posted by mdavis
    I never saw that one.

dale1
    my story in phones....
    i300-->i330-->i500-->sprintt650-->ppc6700-->gsmt650-->HTC Universal-->gsmt650-->8525-->back again to my trusty t650

Im having problems with my G1000 was considering the treo 600 then I saw there was a Treo 650 available. Is the 650 an upgrade from the 600. What does the 650 have to offer that the 600 doesnt? Same question with the G1000?
    To know me is to love me

Nanotechnology Nerd shadowboxer's Avatar
    go to treocentral.com to the treo 650 forum,
    tons of detailed threads comparing the two.

Biggest difference is the unbelivable 320 x 320 screen on the 650 and the addition of bluetooth on the 650.
    dale1
    my story in phones....
    i300-->i330-->i500-->sprintt650-->ppc6700-->gsmt650-->HTC Universal-->gsmt650-->8525-->back again to my trusty t650