+ Reply to Thread

Question Treo 650's voice tag function

According to the Treo 650 user guide, one is supposed to be able to record a "voice tag" and assign it to a speed dial entry. This would then enable the user to use the voice tag to dial the speed dial number.

Mind you, this is DIFFERENT than VoiceSignal's VoiceDialer.

The manual, I think on page 71, says that voice tags can be activated somehow through Prefs>>Hands Free. Go there, and you'll see screen that has an option called "Voice Tags", and it has a "setup" button next to it. But if you push it, it says:

"To record voice tags, initiate the recording from the handsfree device".

But there are no instructions as to how to do that. An email from Jabra (who made the Bluetooth headset that came with my phone in a PalmOne box) said that this is nuts - voice tag recording should be initiated in the phone since the tags are stored there (indeed, there is at least 1 application called Voice Tags with a CrID of QCV1).

I had 2 45-minutes phone calls with PalmOne support, and they were useless, unfortunately - phone is probably too new for them to have been adequately trained yet.

So, does anyone know how to create voice tags on the 650 which should then be assignable to a speed dial entry?

By the way, go to the Help screen in Prefs>>Handsfree>>Voice Tags-Setup, and it says:

"The voice tags associated with the contacts you have assigned as Speed Dial entries as favorites on your Treo are stored on the Bluetooth hansfree device". Bull-puckey according to Jabra. it continues...

"Your Treo displays the favorites that have been setup to work with voice tags with a talk-bubble graphic".

Not even a supposed Tier 2 person had a clue what I was talking about despite this "help" message that is right there on the phone itself.

Again, any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!!
    dhdunn

Re: Treo 650's voice tag function

The "voice tag" functionality for bluetooth is only supported for the headsets/handsfree bluetooth systems that themselves support the voice tags. Such as Parrot ... none of the simpler bluetooth headsets support this, of course.

So basically you can't voice dial from a bluetooth headset (with some special exceptions, such as Parrot).

Sorry!

Originally posted by dhdunn9
    According to the Treo 650 user guide, one is supposed to be able to record a "voice tag" and assign it to a speed dial entry. This would then enable the user to use the voice tag to dial the speed dial number.

Mind you, this is DIFFERENT than VoiceSignal's VoiceDialer.

The manual, I think on page 71, says that voice tags can be activated somehow through Prefs>>Hands Free. Go there, and you'll see screen that has an option called "Voice Tags", and it has a "setup" button next to it. But if you push it, it says:

"To record voice tags, initiate the recording from the handsfree device".

But there are no instructions as to how to do that. An email from Jabra (who made the Bluetooth headset that came with my phone in a PalmOne box) said that this is nuts - voice tag recording should be initiated in the phone since the tags are stored there (indeed, there is at least 1 application called Voice Tags with a CrID of QCV1).

I had 2 45-minutes phone calls with PalmOne support, and they were useless, unfortunately - phone is probably too new for them to have been adequately trained yet.

So, does anyone know how to create voice tags on the 650 which should then be assignable to a speed dial entry?

By the way, go to the Help screen in Prefs>>Handsfree>>Voice Tags-Setup, and it says:

"The voice tags associated with the contacts you have assigned as Speed Dial entries as favorites on your Treo are stored on the Bluetooth hansfree device". Bull-puckey according to Jabra. it continues...

"Your Treo displays the favorites that have been setup to work with voice tags with a talk-bubble graphic".

Not even a supposed Tier 2 person had a clue what I was talking about despite this "help" message that is right there on the phone itself.

Again, any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!!
    dhdunn

My main question was how to record voicetags at all.

But with regard to the Bluetooth comment you made, the owners manual for the headset i have says that it DOES work with voicetags.

There is no native/builtin support for voice tags. For non-bluetooth use, you have to go to the VoiceSignal's VoiceDialer solution. This works great, btw, and if I keep my 650 I'll happily pay the $30 or so to keep VoiceDialer after the trial period.

You asked about the voice tags, as found under "prefs", "handsfree". That "handsfree" preference setting is for BLUETOOTH only. They are mutually exclusive.

I know what the owners manual says, I was quite disappointed to find out that I can't use voice tags from any of my bluetooth headsets. As I said above, it only works with special bluetooth handsfree/headset hardware that itself supports voice tags (such as Parrot).

Originally posted by dhdunn9
    My main question was how to record voicetags at all.

But with regard to the Bluetooth comment you made, the owners manual for the headset i have says that it DOES work with voicetags.

Can someone explain how to add voice tags for the parot drive blue. Both the parrot and treo say it can be done, but none say how to do it.
    thanks,
    mz

Anyone? It seems some have been able to do this successfully while others, such as myself, keep getting soft resets when it is attempted. Someone please help.

new 1.12 update for sprint treo fixes problem and enables voice tags. Now I can push talk button on Parrot and tell it who to call hands complete hands free.