+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Okay is anyone abandoning the kyocera 7135 for the 650

Okay is anyone abandoning the kyocera 7135 for the 650.

I ahve the Kyocera and wonder if anyothre 7135 users have compared theirs to the 650

what are the benifits??

should I switch??

The benefits? Where to start? How about first listing what you might miss about the 7135 (that will be the way shorter list):

- flip design preference (adds screen protection, etc)
    - standard phone keypad (although I found the buttons were too flush and thus had little tactile feedback)
    - top caller ID
    - possibly Verizon coverage (depends on your location)

As far as where the 650 is better, well just take a look at the specs on palmone's website, the 650 is a far more advanced device in just about every aspect (with the exception of what I listed above): screen, processor speed, OS version, etc.

As far as if you should switch, only you can decide if the switch is the right choice for you. No one here knows your particular situation better than you.

I'm getting tired of my 7135's [lack of] speed and poor resolution screen. The phone locking up and the resets are getting to be annoying.
    I used to have a Palm Vx and used it for EVERYTHING, but find the 7135 so limiting and such a pain with all the problems that I can't wait to switch!
    Now if Verizon would only offer the 650! That's what I'm waiting for.
    Release the Hounds!

I've switched from Verizon/7135 to Sprint/650 and I am extremely happy. The screen is fantastic, the apps run much faster, the keyboard is great though I occasionally miss Graffitti.
    In a real emergency, we would have all fled in terror, and you would not have been notified.

Thumbs up

I couldn't wait for Verizon to get the 650 and I just made the jump to Sprint. The benefits? The 650's screen is much brighter and much more clear than the 7135. For me though, crazy as though it may be, the main reason for switching was the 650's built in Bluetooth. For me, not having a ear piece with a cord that gets in the way when I'm driving and constantly falls out when I'm talking was a huge consideration. Being able to use a wireless headset is a huge advantage! And I just found out that you can watch DVD's on the 650! Life is good!

Make the switch - you'll love the 650!

Of course the trick part about someone going from the 7135 to the 650 right now is that it would require a switch to Sprint... otherwise I think that a whole lot of people would upgrade
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

are you kidding?
    It didn't take the 650 to get me to dump the 7135.
    I got the T600 and havn't looked back once. The T600 is a much better device (IMO)

As far as the T650, I'll pass until they get a few things ironed out
    Alan

I switched on Friday. So far I'm very happy about the 650. My data speed is at least 4 times as fast as the 7135. That's enough to get me to switch. It's also fifteen bucks for all I can use. That's good. The 650 is a LOT faster. I used to hate waiting on my Kyo. I thought I wouldn't like the keyboard. I'm 6ft 3 and I thought it would be too clumsy typing. While I need some practice, the keyboard works very well. Palmone has done some very intuitive things to make this gadget easy to use. Not that it isn't unimprovable. The d-pad could be more consistant. The bluetooth is nicely useable too. I had purchased a Jabra Freespeak 200 for the 7135. It was a compramise because it meant having the dang base station thingy on my belt. I could see that as 2 devices. The Jabra never worked very well with my Kyocera. It would get out of sync all the time. With the 650 I can chuck the base station (except when I need to charge the headset) and it works perfectly with the headset. Nice!

This whole discussion sounds like the one two years ago when everyone was anticipating great things for the 7135 and awaiting it's arrival (especially at Verizon)!
    I hope once we make the switch that we can wait more than two years before were waiting to abandon the 650, but with Moore's law still going strong, I doubt it.
    Release the Hounds!

The real dillemma at this point is "crummy (old 7135) smartphone + good cell company(Verizon)"
    vs.
    "good smartphone + crummy cell company(Sprint)"

My gut is still telling me to wait for Cingular to jump on the 650...

Mark

Originally posted by mhzimmer
    The real dillemma at this point is "crummy (old 7135) smartphone + good cell company(Verizon)"
    vs.
    "good smartphone + crummy cell company(Sprint)"
    I think that's a bit too broad of a generization

Originally posted by Robert K.
    I agree, the 650 is NOT a good smartphone. It's a good brick.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Originally posted by blazorboy
    I agree, the 650 is NOT a good smartphone. It's a good brick.

BB
    lol

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Well in my case -- here in Atlanta anyway -- the shoe fits.

Verizon is way superior to Sprint service here, and I'm just plain tired of all the issues / delays / crashes I've been getting on my (now third) Kyo 7135.

Will the 650 be any better? Won't know until I try it, but it does have some intriguing improvements imho.

I'm not willing to wait another year for Verizon to finally carry it. So my next best hope is to give a Cingular 650 a try as soon as it comes out...

Mark

1) Stability 2) Function 3) Feature

Cool

Considering trading in my 6035 for the 650 when it comes to Verizon. I came close to upgrading to the 7135 but valued dependability over a color screen. I use it as a phone (with voice dialing in my car and a useful speakerphone) as well as a contact manager and scheduler.
    As long as I can Sync with Outlook and use the occasional basic Palm funtions I am happy.
    My phone has been knocked around and outlived a copule of leather cases. As old as it is (May 2001) it still gets the "Cool" comment even if people are surprised by the "huge cell phone!"
    Last edited by PaulBG; 12-12-2004 at 04:52 PM.
    Pretend you don't see the box...it makes it real easy to think out of it!

i'm a content 7135 user on verizon. but i played with a 650 today and definitely left some drool on the thing.

i'm really leery about leaving verizon - they have stellar service everywhere i go (all around the country). i was a sprint customer for a long time before i left them for verizon (for the kyo 6035).

i was never impressed with their coverage back then. they SWEAR it's "as good as verizon" now. methinks that's probably untrue if they're treying to sell me that way!

i think the verizon delays in getting products out are nothing short of silly. they supposedly held back the 7135 'cuz they didn't want to release a buggy product and - lo and behold - the thing is STILL buggy. such is life. i assume they'll hold the 650 back until the cows come home and then release it a week before the treo 700 comes out. i don't grok the method to their madness.

tough call.....

doody.

If verizon put out a 650 I still would not leave my Kyo. Palm apps run fine and the mp3 player is acceptable as well. Vereizon coverage can't be beat, but it seems with the 600, vzw can't tell the difference between data and call time and the phones just stay connected forever leaving huge discrepencies in ppls bills. I can't do that! My Kyo is reliable, only messes up when I screw with the palm side and install some whacky hack or app.

No... I am not ready to shell out $500+ for a new device that may be a bit better, probably be just as buggy for a while and not really do anything except take pictures and watch video, that I can't already do.

It will be a while for me.
    Sandy Wagner

Originally posted by swagner
    If verizon put out a 650 I still would not leave my Kyo.
    Well, if Verizon put out the Treo 650... I would get it in a heartbeat!

Sad truth is VZ will take way too long to release it, by which time I'll probably become a Cingular customer. Still afraid of Sprint in my area because of bad service issues in the past.

I tried the 650 at the Sprint store and it is so far ahead of the Kyo 7135 it is absolutely irresistable (for me, anyhow).

Fully Undaunted
    Originally posted by mhzimmer
    Well, if Verizon put out the Treo 650... I would get it in a heartbeat!

Sad truth is VZ will take way too long to release it, by which time I'll probably become a Cingular customer. Still afraid of Sprint in my area because of bad service issues in the past.

I tried the 650 at the Sprint store and it is so far ahead of the Kyo 7135 it is absolutely irresistable (for me, anyhow).
    VZW people hold on, I just switched to the T600 after 3 7135 deaths. I have a friend high up the VZW ladder who say's we will see the 650 in VZW stores by the end of Jan. 05. I'm holding my breath.
    Oh... what a tangled web we weave!!

Originally posted by Wolfee
    VZW people hold on, I just switched to the T600 after 3 7135 deaths. I have a friend high up the VZW ladder who say's we will see the 650 in VZW stores by the end of Jan. 05. I'm holding my breath.
    If this is true then I might hold out and switch from the 7135 to the 650. Its already been tempting me, mostly for the BlueTooth but also for the camera. I've also noticed recently that I'm needing to jot things down while driving a lot and its very difficult with graffiti, using a thumboard would be much easier (and safer) while on the road. Anyone know if it would be possible to buy a Sprint 650 and activate it with Verizon? I remember people discussing that possibility with the 7135 before Verizon released it, and in fact I bought an AllTel 7135 and activated it on my Verizon account. If the rumors of VZW bringing the 650 to market don't pan out I may be looking at doing that again.

Later,

Cool Cat
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.